334 GB Free space on hard drive

XP and video drivers up to date

Sony DCR-VX1000 using Firewire

Using Premiere 8.0.1

I click on 'Get Media'

Choose DV Camcorder

Capturing source Microsoft DV Camera

Click red capture dot

Less than a minute into capture the picture on the screen stops though the camera is still playing.  The white timer numbers keep going but the black numbers stop. 

I hit pause to get capture again but of course I've lost some footage. 

I've run the same tape a few times.  Each time Premiere 8 stops at a different place. This problem is not just with one tape.

How do I tell Premiere 8 to keep recording?

Timothy

• 1. Re: Capture Stops
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a number of things.

Most likely its a Windows process that's still running in the background and interrupting the capture. Indexing is a common issue. Have you turned it off per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Also, what antivirus program are you using? Some antivirus programs (McAfee and especially Norton 360) are notorious for intruding on video work.

BTW, do you have your Device Control set up for that type of camcorder? Have you tried capturing with Windows MovieMaker or the free utility WinDV -- both of which produce files that are compatible with Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Capture Stops
            kanglek Level 1

Thanks

I will follow your suggestions.

I'm using AVG for anti-virus.

Timothy

• 3. Re: Capture Stops
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Timothy,

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve says, many programs and Processes can intrude on Capture. This ARTICLE will give you some tips for setting your computer up for a video-editing session. For some more background on Windows Indexing (turned ON by default), see this ARTICLE.

Stopping Capture can also come about with dropped frames, a break in the TimeCode (usually from removing the tape between several recording sessions, or from rewinding, playing and then going slightly beyond the last point of recording). It can also come from bad tape, reused tape, or a FW connection going bad.

Also, in Edit>Preferences>Capture, do you have "Abort capture on dropped frames" checked? If so, try with it unchecked. Also, advance the tape past the point that you are having a problem. Does the Capture now continue?

Some users find that a program, SceneAlyzer, does a better job of Capture, than the module in PrE (and PrPro).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Capture Stops
                kanglek Level 1

Thanks Bill & Steve.

I'll make a pot of tea and read up on all that you suggested.

I rescued a bunch of tapes circa 2000 that the cultural heritage people here in Bethel, Alaska are excited about.

I'll bother you again when I've followed all your instructions and have another question.

Timothy

• 5. Re: Capture Stops
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Timothy,

It is no bother at all. We delight in helping other edit video, as easily, as is possible.

Hope that the Project turns out well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Capture Stops
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try one of these instead

SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html 

Do note that the demo version of Scenalyzer puts a watermark in the files it creates

HD capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 7. Re: Capture Stops
                      kanglek Level 1

Steve said

Most likely its a Windows process that's still running in the background and interrupting the capture. 

Probably so.  I'll keep looking at that.

Indexing is a common issue. Have you turned it off per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Indexing OFF

Will pursue the book suggestion as I'm old enough to have learned to read rather than clicking until I get the answer.  

Also, what antivirus program are you using?

AVG

BTW, do you have your Device Control set up for that type of camcorder? 

Device Control Setting corrected

Have you tried capturing with Windows MovieMaker or the free utility WinDV – 

Just tried Windows MovieMaker Got the same results

WinDV worked great. No freezes.  I suspect it is more tolerant of glitches.   

I'll take a break before trying the other suggestions.  

This is fun.  Since my cataract surgery I can see decently for the first time in my life.  I never dreamed I'd be doing video.  

Timothy
                      • 8. Re: Capture Stops
                        kanglek Level 1

I broke my personal rule "Don't upgrade." I made the mistake of allowing Microsoft to make all their changes on my Toshiba Tecra.  Now it won't capture files either.  Sometimes I hear the mantra "upgrade" and cave in.

Fortunately I have the Toshiba install disk.

I'll call this answered.

Timothy