6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2007 10:35 AM by Newsgroup_User

strange characters encoding with CS3

Level 7
      I have just installed Web premium CS3 and am working on my first new project
      with Dreamweaver. All good so far except - it is not encoding some special
      characters properly. For instance if I type £50 in the design window, it
      appears as £50 in code view - rather than &pound50:

Same thing with quotes - it does not always put the " into code view.
      Same deal with dashes.

Must be a default setting I guess but I've been using Dreamweaver since
      Version 3 and never had to deal with this before.

??
      Thanks

--
      James Loudon
      www.fatgraphics.com
      websites::photography::video

• 1. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
          Level 7
          James Loudon wrote:
          > I have just installed Web premium CS3 and am working on my first new project
          > with Dreamweaver. All good so far except - it is not encoding some special
          > characters properly.

The default encoding in Dreamweaver CS3 is UTF-8, which supports special
          characters. Dreamweaver is acting correctly.

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
          Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
            Level 7
            I see, okay how do get it to act "incorrectly" and actually render these
            things properly in browsers?

--
            James Loudon
            www.fatgraphics.com
            "David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
            news:f8douu$olr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > James Loudon wrote:
            >> I have just installed Web premium CS3 and am working on my first new
            >> project with Dreamweaver. All good so far except - it is not encoding
            >> some special characters properly.
            >
            > The default encoding in Dreamweaver CS3 is UTF-8, which supports special
            > characters. Dreamweaver is acting correctly.
            >
            > --
            > David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
            > Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
            > Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
            > http://foundationphp.com/

• 3. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
              Level 7
              James Loudon wrote:
              > I see, okay how do get it to act "incorrectly" and actually render these
              > things properly in browsers?

All modern browsers should render UTF-8 encoding correctly. UTF-8 is
              Unicode, which supports just about every written language on the planet.

However, if pages aren't displaying correctly with UTF-8 encoding, go to
              Preferences > New Document, and set the default encoding to Western
              European. Dreamweaver will then insert HTML entities for special characters.

Either way, Dreamweaver will be acting correctly. If special characters
              don't display correctly when using UTF-8 encoding, it suggests there's
              something wrong with the browser or that your remote server is
              automatically sending HTTP headers that set the encoding to iso-8859-1
              (Western European). Headers sent by the web server override the encoding
              set in the meta tag of a web page.

--
              • 4. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
                Level 7
                Thanks very much David. I think it may well be a server problem.

--
                James Loudon
                www.fatgraphics.com
                "David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
                news:f8f840$gad$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > James Loudon wrote:
                >> I see, okay how do get it to act "incorrectly" and actually render these
                >> things properly in browsers?
                >
                > All modern browsers should render UTF-8 encoding correctly. UTF-8 is
                > Unicode, which supports just about every written language on the planet.
                >
                > However, if pages aren't displaying correctly with UTF-8 encoding, go to
                > Preferences > New Document, and set the default encoding to Western
                > European. Dreamweaver will then insert HTML entities for special
                > characters.
                >
                > Either way, Dreamweaver will be acting correctly. If special characters
                > don't display correctly when using UTF-8 encoding, it suggests there's
                > something wrong with the browser or that your remote server is
                > automatically sending HTTP headers that set the encoding to iso-8859-1
                > (Western European). Headers sent by the web server override the encoding
                > set in the meta tag of a web page.
                >
                > --
                > David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                > Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                > Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                > http://foundationphp.com/

• 5. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
                  Level 7
                  James Loudon wrote:
                  > Thanks very much David. I think it may well be a server problem.
                  >

If I'm not mistaken, the default encoding as UTF-8 in CS3 is a new initiative, as the default was
                  Western (ISO-Latin) in previous versions (I don't remember changing it in my preferences in
                  Dreamweaver8, and default is still Western)
                  It's a good initiative, because UTF-8 *should* be the default encoding on the web rather than
                  Western, but unfortunately the western-centric mind-set is still prevalent and lots of servers use
                  it as their default, so UTF-8 remains a risky choice. Unless of course you have access to your
                  server settings.

--
                  seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                  http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design

An Ingenious WebSite Builder: http://sitelander.com
                  • 6. Re: strange characters encoding with CS3
                    Level 7
                    (_seb_) wrote:
                    > If I'm not mistaken, the default encoding as UTF-8 in CS3 is a new
                    > initiative,

Yes. CS3 switched to UTF-8 as its default.

> It's a good initiative, because UTF-8 *should* be the default encoding
                    > on the web rather than Western, but unfortunately the western-centric
                    > mind-set is still prevalent and lots of servers use it as their default,
                    > so UTF-8 remains a risky choice.

I wouldn't say it's risky, but developers do need to be aware of the
                    implications, particularly if using a database. Many hosting companies
                    are still running MySQL 3.23, even though it's no longer officially
                    supported. You need a minimum of MySQL 4.1 to support UTF-8.

Be aware of your server setup and pressurize your hosting company to
                    upgrade if it offers out of date versions or doesn't support UTF-8.

--