CS5 chokes on 7d footage

buraihan Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2008 mac pro:

10gb ram

2x quad core 2.8ghz cpus

nvidia 8800GT graphics card

1tb secondary hard drive dedicated to video in drive bay 2

Inside PPro CS5's memory settings it shows that PPro has access to 7 of the 10 gig.

I am editing a project that consists entirely of Canon 7D footage. I am seeing smooth playback when the clips on the timeline are long, but in a sequence with lots of 1 second cuts PPro is choking after a few seconds and is unable to ever catch up again. I have to stop the playhead for it to recover.

The footage doesnt have any effects applied, and is all on one track. I am the only user logged in. Time machine isn't running. No other software is running. With my system specs, the CS5 hype, and the relative simplicity of my edit I would expect there to be no problems. I read success stories from other Canon HDSLR users before upgrading to CS5.

• 1. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks like a disk I/O problem. Possibly cleaning the Media Cache will help somewhat, but your best bet is to add a third disk internally.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
            dradeke Adobe Employee

I agree with Harm's suggestion.  Also note that disk performance can be affected when the drive is moderately full.

Also remember that you can bring down the playback quality to 1/2 or even 1/4 to make sure that the system is playing at full speed.

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
              buraihan Level 1

Thank you guys. I checked my disk setup, and realised that many moons ago I had put two 1TB drives together into a striped raid using mac's disk utility. I unraided them and have seen a significant performance increase.

It's still not perfect though. Now, out of my 60 second scene of 1 second cuts I get about 30 seconds of smooth playback. After that, if Premiere Pro chokes even once, it never recovers. I have to stop and hit play again. Going down to 1/4 resolution doesnt seem to make any difference. The current 1tb drive with the project on it is still only a third full, so I don't think the issue is with it being too full.

I realise that it would be pure speculation, but do you think that it is still a disk i/o problem? Is there any way I could troubleshoot this issue? (eg. a good, free, disk test tool for the mac) Also, would I be safe in assuming that ram isn't the problem? I will try cleaning the media cache just to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for helping.

• 4. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                the_wine_snob Level 9

A RAID can be useful, in the right circumstances. However, I would caution that this should come, after one has 3x physical HDD's. Harm has a good article in the Hardware sub-forum, titled something like "To RAID, or Not to RAID?"

Also, most feel that a dedicated RAID controller (rather than either software RAID, or MoBo RAID) will be best.

Good luck, and glad that you have gotten a performance boost already.

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

How full is the 1TB disk that has your Canon footage on it?  If it's 70% or more full, that's probably contributing to the problem.

• 6. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Also, with the type of edit you're talking about (lots of cuts), you might want to have those three drives (1 for OS and Pr + 2 striped for media)

• 7. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                      Tim Kolb Level 1

How is the drive containing the media for fragmentation?

It's possible one file around that :30 mark is not contiguous on the drive, and PPro can't buffer it while the drive is searching for it...

I'd also check the drive for throughput in general.  Drives age...and age quickly when  they are being beaten on by video post production operations.

• 8. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                        buraihan Level 1

Thanks for the replies. After unRAIDing the two drives, I do now have 3 separate drives in the computer. Having quit the software striped raid I saw definite performance increases, so I advise others to avoid software raid.

The drive with the media and project file on it is about 35% full. I haven't checked it for defragmentation or it's read/write speeds. Does anyone know if there are any tools built into the mac OS for doing these things?

• 9. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are looking up.

After each day's editing, I will run a system defragmentation. Though my program will allow for dynamic defragging, I would never use that, while editing.

Some days, when I break for lunch, or for the forum, I'll just defragment.

Good luck, and hope that all the other pieces fall into place.

Hunt

• 10. Re: CS5 chokes on 7d footage
                            dradeke Adobe Employee

buraihan wrote:

Thanks for the replies. After unRAIDing the two drives, I do now have 3 separate drives in the computer. Having quit the software striped raid I saw definite performance increases, so I advise others to avoid software raid.

The drive with the media and project file on it is about 35% full. I haven't checked it for defragmentation or it's read/write speeds. Does anyone know if there are any tools built into the mac OS for doing these things?

If you have 3 physical drives, I'd stripe the two of them together and leave the one for the OS separate.  I do find better performance with two drives in a Mac OS software stripe than as separate drives.  Of course, mileage may in fact vary.

a drive that is 35% full shouldn't be a problem.  Apple says that the Mac OS X doesn't need defragging and in general I agree.  There are a couple of little utilities that are out there that do offer it though if you want to give it a try.

Dennis