2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2007 6:51 AM by Newsgroup_User

Javascripts problem with general audience

shinceciokada
      I am creating a pop-up drop-down menu. I found that both of firework and dreamweaver spry use java-scripts.

Whenever I preview it in IE7, the Internet Explorer Information bar pops up at the top of the webpage warning about it.

I don't have a problem with this, but when I think about the general audience, some of them refuse to open it for a security reasons.

Is it wise to use javascript for core functions? How can I avoid it, if I want to use javascript for menu bar and avoiding no pop-up warning coming out.

Is there any way?
        • 1. Re: Javascripts problem with general audience
          Level 7
          shinceciokada wrote:
          > I am creating a pop-up drop-down menu. I found that both of firework and
          > dreamweaver spry use java-scripts.
          >
          > Whenever I preview it in IE7, the Internet Explorer Information bar pops up
          > at the top of the webpage warning about it.
          >
          > I don't have a problem with this, but when I think about the general audience,
          > some of them refuse to open it for a security reasons.
          >
          > Is it wise to use javascript for core functions? How can I avoid it, if I want
          > to use javascript for menu bar and avoiding no pop-up warning coming out.
          >
          > Is there any way?
          >
          >

Either don't use javascript, or provide an alternative for those who don't have javascript or have
          disabled it.
          You do that by writing the javascript code inline, in your html, as:

<div><script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">document.write("code for your javascript
          menu here");</script>
          <noscript>alternate menu code that does not use javascript here</noscript>
          </div>

--
          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design

An Ingenious WebSite Builder: http://sitelander.com
          • 2. Re: Javascripts problem with general audience
            Level 7
            Fear not. This only occurs when you are testing on your local HD. Once
            you move it online to a server, IE users will not be greeted with that
            message.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com
            divaGPS : you-are-here menu highlighting
            divaFAQ : FAQ pages with pizazz

www.valleywebdesigns.com
            JustSo PictureWindow
            JustSo PhotoAlbum

--

shinceciokada wrote:
            > I am creating a pop-up drop-down menu. I found that both of firework and
            > dreamweaver spry use java-scripts.
            >
            > Whenever I preview it in IE7, the Internet Explorer Information bar pops up
            > at the top of the webpage warning about it.
            >
            > I don't have a problem with this, but when I think about the general audience,
            > some of them refuse to open it for a security reasons.
            >
            > Is it wise to use javascript for core functions? How can I avoid it, if I want
            > to use javascript for menu bar and avoiding no pop-up warning coming out.
            >
            > Is there any way?
            >
            >