6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 8:39 AM by rtprtp

Canon XF300

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

Has anyone edited the new Canon XF300 in PE7?

Thanks, ST

• 1. Re: Canon XF300
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it does shoot in HDV, so it should work.

But do you really want to edit video from a $7000 camcorder on a $69 piece of software?

If you're going to use a pro camcorder, I very much recommend you go for a pro package of software. Premiere CS5, for instance.

• 2. Re: Canon XF300
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rtprtp

Do you presently have the Canon XF300 or are you thinking about purchasing it?

From what I have read, that camcorder records MPEG2 (Canon XF Codec) wrapped with MXF (Media Exchange Format). And, there are a variety of frames sizes (up to 1920 x 1080) as well as frame rates. The video is recorded to a Compact Flash Memory card.

To my knowledge, Premiere Elements 7 or any other of its versions has not supported MXF in spite of the fact that Canon has included in its camcorder details “Comprehensive NLE Support”.  So, I was very surprised when SG wrote “Well, it does shoot in HDV, so it should work.”

I have no idea if the new version of Premiere Elements due to be released around September/October 2010 will have support for these MXF files.

However, Premiere Pro CS5’s “Files Formats Supported for Import” does include MXF files.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac97fa024001235833a568-800 0.html

So, I would agree with SG that, at this time, Premiere Pro CS5 would be the program to explore for editing the Canon MXF video, not Premiere Elements 7 or any of its other versions. And, I would point out that this has nothing to do with the relative cost of the Canon camcorder and video editor, but rather everything to do with the file formats supported for import by the two programs.

Please check out what I have written and see if you understand the details as I have interpreted them from information currently available.

ATR

• 3. Re: Canon XF300
              the_wine_snob Level 9

PrPro has included MXF support from about CS3. Somethings, there is trickle down from Pro, and sometimes there is trickle up to Pro, such as with AVCHD and VOB Import (were in PrE first). It will be interesting to see what IS supported in PrE 9. PrPro CS5 just got DSLR Presets (though a tad limited), so maybe?

Hunt

• 4. Re: Canon XF300
                rtprtp Level 1

Hi ATR, thanks for that very valuable info. I am hoping that PE9 will handle the MXF files. Being new to editing, I am so comfortale with PE7 that I am not ready for the learning curve. Thanks again!

ST

• 5. Re: Canon XF300
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rtprtp

If you ever do get tempted to think Premiere Elements 9 (whatever number the next version will be), please go the free 30 day tryout route before you buy to make sure that it works in your computer environment.

Thanks for bringing up the Canon video question which was very interesting.

ATR

• 6. Re: Canon XF300
                    rtprtp Level 1

ATR - good advice! Thanks everyone.

ST