3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 5:18 AM by [Jongware]

Eps to Indesign

karthikb1987 Level 1

I have eps file. I need to convert the eps file to indesign. How can i do ? can i do this with javascript ?

Please help!!!!!!!!

Thnaks in Advance

• 1. Re: Eps to Indesign
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

If this file is not too complex, you can open it in Illustrator, select all, copy and paste it into empty InDesign document. It is important to uncheck Copy As: PDF in Illustrator's Preferences> File Handling & Clipboard dialog box.

Kasyan

• 2. Re: Eps to Indesign
            karthikb1987 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply. I need to convert the eps file by programming. Is there

any script available?

• 3. Re: Eps to Indesign
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Not that I know of.

If you need to use Javascript, well, there is a lot possible. You need to examine the EPS File Format -- it may contain a subset of PostScript, or perhaps PDF commands. Reading the file itself is easy, but you'd, sorry, u'd have to write a parser that converts each separate command into one or more native InDesign objects.

If the EPS contains outlined text, ure out of luck -- there is no feasible way of recomposing that into editable text again. U can convert other items -- text and graphic lines -- to native objects; but bitmaps, on the other hand, have to be converted to an external file, since u cannot build bitmaps in JS for InDesign.

Seems like a very sizeable project. I wish u all the best, the coming year.

A short-term solution could be to convert the EPS to a PDF, using Illustrator or Acrobat Distiller, then convert that to an InDesign document with PDF2ID.