18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2011 9:11 AM by John T Smith

Will not finish writing a DVD

blod1970

I have just installed PRE8 onto my PC after much research as to what software I buy. I am importing files from a Sony HD camera which makes MTS files, I can edit the movie fine but when I try to make a DVD from the created movie it stops at 5% Burning Disc1 of 1. I then have to quit PRE8 through my Task Manager. Can anybody help me as to why this happens?

I have only put 3 short clips in the project just to test the quality for playback on a HD Plasma TV so it isnt as if the project is huge!

I have the following hardware:

Core 2 CPU @ 2.40 Ghz

3.00GB Memory

32-bit operating system

Any help would be great, I have spent a long time looking for a editing software that will do a similar job as iMovie and iDVD on a mac.

Its starting to do my head in!!!!

• 1. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
          nealeh Level 5

Frankly speaking if you are within your thirty day refund period I'd  send it back and wait for PRE9. However if you wish to continue then try burning your project to a folder and see if that completes OK.

Some basics

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Check for firmware update for your burner.
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space (very important), controller type, and how you have them allocated?

Often, a failure to author and Burn a DVD is due to not enough HDD space, or a fast enough connection. There are some major working files that are first created, and if one is running out of space, the process shuts down completely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
              blod1970 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me guys, I have never used one of these forums before and you both have been very

helpful.

I have de-fragged and optimized the computer, turned off the schedulled back up program that backs up to my NAS drive. Have managed to make a movie but only by saving the files to disc. (it works so I am happy with that, so I know the package works!)

My next problem is that I cannot live preview a movie clip I drag to the time line. The sound keep going but the visual stops. Is this because I dont have a good enough Graphics card, or not enough memory, All of the scratch discs are using the NAS drive which had heaps of available space and is only linked directly to the computer I am using, so as such it really isnt a network, there is not other computer linked to the NAS drive. I have even tried doing this with the project saved to the local drive!

I am running a 32 Bit operating system at the moment, before I go and purchase windows 7 (which will mean I have to re install everything!) then put 8 Gig of memory in the machine I just wanted to check whether that would actually do anything?

Also bare in mind that I am a Graphic Designer that has never had a problem running CS4 using heavy Photoshop and InDesign files before I loaded Elements on. I have tried importing from a DV tape and the AVCHD camera and there does't seem to be any difference in operating performance, I still cannot edit video properly as I cannot see the vision in real time to be able to do that. Also everything slows down to a painful pace.

I have a 3GB HDD which is running at 1.6GB usage the CPU will jump from 10% to 70% ish, if I upgrade to System 7 and upgrade the memory to 8GB so the system will actually use it, is that going to help? Though I have to say that I do find it a bit strange that you can buy Elements 8 (targeted at the home user, not the professional user) for 185 Aus$ and it wont do the job!!!! This sofTware is for home user not professional user, all I want to do is edit home videos, seriously guys, this cant be this hard?

Unless of course I am doing something wrong or my machine just cannot do it.....which I think is unlikely.

I look forward to more guidance from you guys.

Please can you advise as I am getting to the end of my rope with this

• 4. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                  blod1970 Level 1

Sorry, absolutely no help to me! I have no idea what all of this means!

I am a home user that has bought Premiere Elements 8 from a high street store in the hope I can edit home videos. Just so

happens that I have a NAS drive to backup my graphics work.

This is one computer, not linked to a network of other computers. It would seem that I have the system requirements to run the siftware (according to the box) but, it simply does not work properly. As I said before, I cannot even view clips in the time in real time to be able to choose whether I do edit it or not!! Am I the only person out there that experiences this?

Most purchasers of Adobe Elements 8 would buy it from a high street store in the hope that they can edit their home video, surely it shouldn't be this technical and difficult.

Please can anybody help in a less technical way, if, it does not do the job, let me know and I will look for something else!

• 6. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's as non-technical as it gets.

Work through these steps in our troubleshooting FAQ and, if you'll describe what you see in as much detail as possible during each step in the process, we'll very likely be able to diagnose your problem and offer a solution:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      All of the scratch discs are using the NAS drive which had heaps of available space and is only linked directly to the computer I am using

Even a gigabit NAS is going to be too slow to work to/from. Those HDD's are great for archiving your files, Assets and even archived Projects, but are way too slow to allow smooth editing.

I use a gigabit NAS, as per above. When I create a New Project, I will just Copy over any Assets to either my internal HDD's, or to a FW-800 external. An eSATA external would be even faster, but I am so heavily invested in FW-800 HDD's, that I have not added eSATA yet. My new workstation and laptop will include that connection, as well.

For editing and playback, a very fast throughput is highly important. That is why we recommend a minimum of 7200 RPM and a SATA connection. For video editing, a 2x physical (very important and NOT partitions) 7200 RPM HDD's as the absolute minimum. A 3x physical HDD setup is even better.

The allocation with a 3x internal HDD I/O sub-system would look like this:

C:\ OS, programs and probably the Windows Page File (Virtual Memory)

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

E:\ Media

If one only had a 2x internal setup, then the Media files would be on D:\, along with the Projects and Scratch Disks.

Now, in my systems, though I have a 3x HDD setup on my laptop and an 8x HDD setup on my workstation, I use those FW-800's for Projects, Scratch Disks and Copies of my Media files. This allows me to migrate my Projects between machines. I also set the drive letter for each of these externals to be the same, regardless of the order that they are plugged in. My Z:\ is set to that drive letter in the OS of each computer, so that it is seen as Z:\ on the workstation, or on the laptop. I use my NAS as an archive unit for storage of my Media files, but always Copy those over to my Media drive, and keep it out of the editing workflow.

What is your I/O sub-system's setup, i.e. the number of internal HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, defragmented free-space, and how do you have them allocated (you mention the Scratch Disks on the NAS)?

That will be a good starting point. The I/O is too often overlooked, but with most Media, is the most important aspect of a system. With CPU and RAM coming in behind. If you have AVCHD Media, then the CPU is more important with I/O and RAM behind.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                        blod1970 Level 1

Thankyou Bill

This is very useful to see how someone else has it set up. I will look into all of this and post it all back to you, its late with me now as I am in OZ so I will be signing off soon.

I will compare how mine looks to yours and post it all back to you, hopefully I can sort it out without going to buy a mac just to edit home movies! That surely would be dumb!

Thanks again and speak soon

Blod

• 9. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                          blod1970 Level 1

Hi Bill

Before I purchase can you look and see if I am buying something that will do my normal graphics and video editing on top. I would very much appeciiate this, you have been a great help. This machine will be custom made so I want to get it right. Dont forget I have a NAS drive that backs up the work from this machine and also a couple of external mobile hardrives I take on site to clients that are plugged into the desktop when I get back to the office. The new computer will have a back up schedule to the NAS, should I turn that schedule off when I am editing video? You also mentioned turning off all other external conections like internet etc so the machine works as a stand alone item. Should I work off the desktop alone and after I have finished editing copy the project onto the NAS for storage or work with the storage conected? I am thinking the spec below will be good enough for the stand alone computer which will stay in my static office.

I appreciate your input to this I dont want to get it wrong.

Thank you in advance

Blod

COUNTDESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

PRICESUB TOTALDELETE
                          1INTEL CORE i7 930 2.80GHz 8MB#
                          2ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD#
                          3GEIL 6GB KIT DDR3 VALUE SERIES C9 1600M#
                          4LITE-ON DVD RW 24x BK/ +/-/DL/SATA#
                          5WD VELOCIRAPTOR 600GB 10000/32MB/SATA3 #
                          6COOLERMASTER EXTREME POWER PLUS 650W
                          7MS OFFICE 2010 HOME AND BUSINESS 1U/RTL
                          8D-LINK USB 2.0 7-PORT HUB POWERED #
                          9COOLERMASTER ELITE 334 CASE 420W
                          10**WD CAVIAR GREEN 2.0TB 7200/64MB/SATA2#
                          11MS WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL OEM/64BIT
                          12MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000 #
                          13EVGA GT220 625M/980M 1GB/DVI#
                          GRAND TOTAL

• 10. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD

A 420w power supply is not even close to being large enough

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to what I built... with an 850w power supply

• 11. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The one addition that I would make would be an additional HDD. That will allow you to spread the I/O load a bit more. If your case can hold it, the cost should be quite low, and the ROI (Return on Investment) will be good.

Do not know that video card, but should be fine. Only thing to consider is that PrPro has added GPU acceleration with the Mercury Playback Engine (MPE), and none of us know what PrE 9 will bring. In the case of MPE, only certain nVidia cards support it. More are being added to the list, but I know of no ATI/AMD cards on the list. Still, PrE 9 (due out in a couple of months) may well NOT use any form of MPE, so that would be moot.

I also like to have 2 optical drives on a system, and of different brands. Right now, I have 1 Plextor and 1 LG. Some discs are read better from one, than the other, so I have 2 to choose from. When I build the new system, I will probably go with one BD-capable multi-drive, and then one DVD multi-drive.

As for the backups, I would turn everything off, while editing. When done for that session, one can then do the backups. While editing, I want nothing to be scheduled, or running. I will do that manually.

If you are migrating Projects (sounds like you are only transporting Exported files to present to clients, but maybe I got that wrong), make sure that you have at least FW-800 (IEEE-1394b), or better yet, eSATA, and external drives with those connections. Of course, one then has to be concerned what connections the client has. If you ONLY transport the Exported files, then a multi-connection external with USB and FW-400 will be adequate for almost all other computers.

Good luck, and enjoy the new system!

Can't wait to get into building my next box.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD

>Mercury Playback Engine (MPE), and none of us know what PrE 9 will bring

The 5.0.2 CS5 update that was released yesterday adds support for the nVidia 470 card

So... IF PreEl 9 adds MPE support, I would look at one of those cards for a build "today" to hopefully be ready for the new version "later"

• 13. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, until we get to see PrE 9, none of us will know. Unlike with PrPro, there are seldom any "leaks" on what a new PrE might, or might not, contain.

I rather doubt that MPE will be implemented, but I've been very wrong before. As PrE is geared for a broader base of computers and not aimed at users with video workstations, I would think that they would put the $ elsewhere (ultimate stability perhaps?), and leave MPE support to PrPro.

Now, if I were building a computer for PrE (any version), and anticipated that I might move up to PrPro, then MPE/CUDA would drive me to an approved nVidia card. Still, the ATI should be fine for PrE.

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                                    blod1970 Level 1

I am currently having a new machine built so will let you know how I get on. On another topic do you know what the pluggin is called for photoshop that creates a tracer light effect, as if you have swirled a light around really fast in the dark and someone has taken a pic. Like the effect you get when you shake a sparkler really fast. I used to have the plugin many years ago. If you do know what its called it would be a great help see pic attached that has the effectUntitled-1.jpg

• 15. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You will probably want to post that question to the PS Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                                        blod1970 Level 1

HI Bill It has been a while since I have been on here, I originally posted that Premier Elements 8 will not finish burning a DVD and crashes. I have since purchased a new computer spec as below: CPUCOREI79 Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz LGA1366 Quad Core CPU With 8MB Cache MEMKHX1600 Kingston HyperX 12GB (3x4GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory MBASUSSAB Asus Sabertooth X58 IntelX58 LGA1366 DDR3 ATX Mainboard VIDXFXRAD69 XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB PCI-Express2.0 Graphics Card DVDRWPIOB Pioneer BDR-206BK 12X Blu-Ray Burner & 16/8X Dual-Layer DVD±R/RW SATA Kit HDDWD6000H Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX ">600GB SATAIII Hard Drive, 10,000RPM With 32MB Cache HDDWD20EA Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2000GB (2TB) SATAIII Hard Drive IntelliPower With 64MB Cache CASBITFENIX BitFenix Shinobi Mid-Tower ATX Case PSUSSTONE SilverStone Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W ATX Power Supply OSMSWIN7H Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Each $0.00 1 0 $0.00 $0.00 SOFMSOHB20 Microsoft PKC For Office Home and Business 2010 ACCBELKINF Belkin SURGESTRIP 6-Outlet Power Surge Protector I have a large NAS drive which is only used as storage and is never for files being worked on. There is no other software currently loaded on this machine, I still am not able to burn a DVD from the completed project, it freezes on the last part of the process. I have however been able ONCE to burn the project to a folder, though I cannot do this anymore as it freezes the same as the DVD process!! I have the following set to scratch disc (extra internal 2TB drive): Media Cache Disc Encoding All of the other settings are set to the normal interl memory. I cant believe this is so difficult to output a project! Can you help? Or advise me on how to set PE8 up to get optimum performance. I was very excited about editing video on this new machine which I believe is powerful enough and VERY disappointed that I still get the same problems. I look forward to you return. Blod1970

• 17. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If a Burn to Disc and a Burn to Folder both fail at the same spot, then I would look at the Timeline to see what is near the end of the Timeline (do you get any % in the progress dialog box), to see if you have perhaps a gap in the Video, an overly-large Still Image, or some odd Asset at about that point.

As PrE uses a 2-pass Transcoding process, 100% is actually the end of the second pass. The first pass is a survey of the motion in the Clips and the second pass is the actual Encoding. That first pass survey completes at 50% of the total operation, and then the second pass begins. If you did get a % of completition, you will need to do just a bit of math.

When you look near the end of that Timeline, do you see anything out of the ordinary?

When the Encode/Transcode fails, do you get any error messages, such as "Failure to Return Frame?"

Do you get a BSOD, or does the computer reboot on its own?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Will not finish writing a DVD

Read this

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems
                                            Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
                                            And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
                                            And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0

Also, your message was very hard for me to read

Please use a few enter keys to make sentences and paragraphs for easier reading