6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 9:34 AM by JJMack

How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot

Knubbi Level 1

It would be awesome if anybody could create an PhotoShop action that automatically adds a "torn edges" effect to the right and bottom margin of a loaded image.

Just like in this example: http://screencast.com/t/MmYxYzFkM

Your help would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Knubbi wrote:

It would be awesome if anybody could create an PhotoShop action that automatically adds a "torn edges" effect to the right and bottom margin of a loaded image.

Just like in this example: http://screencast.com/t/MmYxYzFkM

Your help would be very much appreciated.

That would be very simple to do why don't you try to create that action for yourself. Simply add a shape layer that has the two "torn edges" as the top layer  and blend it into the layers below.  Record those steps into an action. If you only have Elements it time to upgrade to Photoshop to fill your requirements...

• 2. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot
            Knubbi Level 1

It is always simple if you know how to do it. ;-)

The problem is that I am not very skilfull with PS (I have PS CS4). How do you blend layers? How would it cover the problem that the screenshot size may vary but the torn edges shall always be at the lower right?

Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

• 3. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot

Photoshop has a huge learning curve.  You need to climb that mounting and when you do you will be well rewarded.  You will then understand Photoshop get its power from layers and selections. You will understand masking, layer mask and other basic Photoshop features. At that point you will be comfortable in Photoshop.  Right now don't look for quick fixes like actions and plug-ins.  Learn how to use Photoshop first learn by using it and don't try to skip the basics. Learn the basics of what a digital image is.  Pixels, resolution, file formats etc. Without a good foundation you will be fighting a loosing battle, climbing up a cliff not just a mountain. Novices should not attempt a cliff.   There are a lot of good free tutorials on the web use these. Taking your time is a good idea however you joined here in 2004 I think perhaps your taking that to the extreme at this rate your death will occur before you know the fist thing about Photoshop.

When your at ease in Photoshop then its the time to look at automation.  The Action you create for yourself will be the best actions you have. For they do what you want you know how the work because you created them and they fit within you work-flow.  You may also want to look at my crafting actions package then. http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/JJMacksCraftingActions.zip

Contains:

Action Actions Palette Tips.txt

Action Creation Guidelines.txt

Action Dealing with Image Size.txt

Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt

CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action

Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file. This file has some additional comments I inserted describing how the actions work.

12 Scripts for actions

• 4. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot
                Knubbi Level 1

I have average skills with bitmap editing software but my request is a little bit special.

The action would require some calculation so that the torn edges would be aligned to the lower right.

And why re-invent the wheel if somebody already made such action or if somebody has skills and feels that it would make a nice "finger exercise"? ;-)

• 5. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot

Knubbi wrote:

The action would require some calculation so that the torn edges would be aligned to the lower right.

Actions can not do calculations however they can align layers.

A nice "finger exercise" would be you using web searches rather the asking for it to be handed to you.

• 6. Re: How to create Action that adds torn edges to a screenshot

Knubbi wrote:

I have average skills with bitmap editing software but my request is a little bit special.

I do not believe that for a second for a second for if you did  you would not ask that question for its such an easy thing to do. Right now I'm going the hit Alt+Prtsc on my PC which will capture this window and put it into the clipboard. Then I'm going to open Photoshop do a Ctrl+n Enter followed by Ctrl+V

ScreanCaptureWithTornEdges.jpg

Use the lasso tool to select the part of the screen capture I want add that as a layer mask, add a layer style crop and save a jpeg and upload it here