1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 9:30 AM by charyl65

Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?

charyl65

Newbie here, I am new to Adobe and it's products. I must say, trying to find information on here is a bit frustraiting...

Anyway, I have downloaded the trial version to try before I decide to purchase and I am wanting to edit a video, something about 45 seconds long. I am able to open and get one of my videos from my computer and add it to the program and I was able to Run the Auto-Analyzer but when I click on Fix nothing will happen. It shows the Photo Fix Options on the right with several options and none of those will work on the video and down towards the bottom it gives an option of Edit Videos and when I click on that a purple box will show up with various Adobe information and look as though its going to load up so I can edit vidoes but nothing will ever happen. Basically there is nothing I can do with vidoes other than add them and auto analize them. Below is a screen shot of what I see.

Can someone please advise me what to do? I have watched ALLOT of the videos of what you can do with this program but I can't even get anything started to even try any of it...

Please help me and Thank You in Advance, Charyl

screen shot.jpg

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
          nealeh Level 5

Can you create a new Premiere Elements project and drag the clip into the timeline/sceneline?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
            charyl65 Level 1

Other than what you see, I can not get anything to show up such as timelines or any type of edit.

What is shown does not look like the timeline in the videos.

I can add media files from my computer but not edit them.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Charyl65

I think that I can help you, but I need to get some confirmation from you on what you have done. You say that you are evaluating the Premiere Elements 8.0 tryout. But the screenshot that you show is of an Organizer. My big question is "from where?" Is it from Photoshop Elements 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, 5.0, or other? Please detail how you got to the screenshot. The reason that I press that point is that I cannot come up with an Organizer interface which shows that "Photo Fix Options" header in Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer, Premiere Elements 8 Organizer, or the Elements Organizer which they share. In the Organizer that you do show, please confirm that those thumbnails represent the video that you want to edit in Premiere Elements 8.0.

But first somethings that you should do to get off in the right direction....

From what you have written, you are evaluating a tryout of Premiere Elements 8.0.

The basis things to start

a. make sure that you download and install the 8.0.1 Update (Patch)...See program's Help Menu/Update

b. make sure that the Background Rendering feature is OFF (if you installed the 8.0.1 Update, that will be shut OFF). See Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

c. make sure that you shut OFFthe AutoAnalzyer Feature via Elements Organizer/Edit Menu Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options. To do that, in the Premiere Elements 8 workspace, click on the Organizer Tab in the row below the active Organizer (Blue) Tab to open the Elements Organizer. In the Elements Organizer workspace, go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options and turn OFF those options. To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace, in the Elements Organizer, go to the File Menu/Exit.

The AutoAnalyzer DOES NOT FIX your images. It tags them. You can read up on that. If you leave the AutoAnalzyer ON it will do this tagging automatically. But it as well as the Background Rendering are a tremendous drain on the computer resources. So, best use these features on an "on demand basis". So in place of the automatic Background Rendering, you would render your Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard when and if you needed it. If you wanted to use the AutoAnalzyer for a specific case, you could right click the image's thumbnail in the Premiere Elements Organizer and select Run AutoAnalzyer.

If you fill me in on the details of your source media and your intended export goal, I will try to zero in on a suggested workflow for your video editing.

Premiere Elements is a video editor. To get started, you should be opening Premiere Elements from its Desktop Icon, creating a new project with a project preset (new project dialog) to match the properties of your video, editing that video on the Timeline, and then exporting the video to the format of your choice. I suspect that you are hung up in some Organizer lumbo, perhaps confusing the Elements Organizer, the Photoshop Elements Organizer, and the Premiere Elements Organizer (Blue Tab active) where you select Get Media/Files & Folders for importing your source media into the program. The latter one is the one that I think that you are not getting to.

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

This might just be my naïveté regarding the Auto Analyzer and the "Fix" function. It was my understanding that part of the tagging with Auto Analyzer was to provide input to "fix" some aspects of the Video on a global basis, and only within certain parameters, like "lighting." As you know, I do not have PrE 8, so I am only referencing my memory of other threads on this aspect of PrE 8. If the "fixing" is linked to the Auto Analyzer, then there could be a slightly different interface, if it's turned off, and its tagging is not done.

Just thinking here, and maybe I am all wet.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I think no Organizer interface look change with AutoAnalzyer ON vs OFF, but, while we are waiting for more workflow details from charyl65, I will turn ON the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 AutoAnalzyer and take a look at the interface for all the Organizers. The AutoAnalyzer Options do include more than lighting, that is, Filters for

Audio

Brightness and Contrast

Motion

Shake

Blur

Face

Object Mtion

And, it does have the nasty habit of splitting video into clips when you want the whole video and not the split clips.

I have a guess at what might have happened, but I will resist speculating.

By the way, were the access problems at this site around 4 pm to 7 pm today?

Will be back later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Just checked...same Organizer interface whether AutoAnalzyer is ON or OFF and neither includes that "Photo Fix Options" header to the right of the interface.

Let us see what charl65 says about all this. Maybe I missing something, but let us see.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for looking. It was just total speculation on my part, and you have cleared that up.

Now, have you experimented with the "Auto Fix," or whatever the feature is called? Just based on a very few posts, and a few replies, it seems to be somewhat limited in what it can do.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                        charyl65 Level 1

Hi ATR

What I do is click on the Adobe Premiere button and it opens up to a purple page giving me the option to select Organizer, New Project or Open Project.

I have no projects to open so that narrows it down to the two and when I click New Project nothing ever happens, it looks like it is loading by several words flashing by in the upper right hand corner but it does not do anything, one time it did but it was something about an error and wanted to report it to adobe. It wasn't your typical error box, it was rather large and gave me an option to fill in information of what I was doing when the error occured. This means I only have one option and that is to select Organizer so yes, I was in Organizer mode since that is all that will open. I assumed I can get there from the Organizer.

It is the newest version of Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.

The two thumbnails you see are two short videos (17 seconds & 45 seconds) that I wanted to play with in edit mode to see how it works, how easy and all that.

Yes, it is the tryout version. I did download the Patch.

I am not sure how to find the Background Rendering feature.

On the AutoAnalyzer, I selected that because one of the support videos said I had to do that before i could edit.

I have been at this for 2 days and my mind is a big blob mess after trying to figure this out and not being very successful I have been downloading other programs and trying to learn them as well and since I am on a big time crunch and I am forcing myself to do crash courses of what I thought was going to be as simple as downloading one program and working a whole afternoon figuring it out, I may not be thinking straight to completly understand everything your trying to tell me. I will probably have to give up, try something else and come back and play with this when I have time to play.

My goal is to produce a 45 second commercial for a Sears/St. Judes Research Hospital contest. I am on my own so I will be using my camera which has a video feature and recording myself and I will have to edit it to cut out areas such as when I get up and down to turn the camera off and on and adding photos, text and back ground music with narration and making it all flow nicely in one 45 second shot.

I think you are right about me being stuck in one area, I think I am stuck in the Organizer hoping when I click edit or fix (the orange tab) and then trying to select edit videos at the bottom that it will open the correct page. I guess I am beating myself up on this one and probably have to completely remove/uninstall and reinstall because obviously it is not working properly.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                          charyl65 Level 1

After the last response I did go ahead and turn off the autoanalyzer

• 10. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

I am now OK with your screenshot and details, especially how you got that Photo Fix Options header in your screenshot which looked like the Organizer.

Whatever route you used, you appear to be in the Elements Organizer. In that Elements Organizer you can have thumbnails representing photos and videos on your computer hard drive. To the right of that interface is a orange tab with white letters FIX and a white arrow next to the word FIX. When you click on the FIX and not the arrow, you get the "Photo Fix Options" that you show in your screenshot.

Those "Photo Fix Options" is as the name implies, for photos. So. if you highlight a video thumbnail in the Organizer, you will end up with an Invalid Selection Message. Those Photo Fix Options are intended as a shortcut fix for photos. If you wanted to do more intensive editing of the photos you click on the category at the bottom of the list which says Edit Photos for edit in Photoshop Elements 8.0 Full Editor. If you want to edit the videos, then you preset dialog for you to set (by default it is set at NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard. After that you move on to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace where you should find your video on the TImeline or Sceneline. The Timeline lets you see better what is going on and thus offers more control. It is the preferred view.

For now I will assume that you got into the Elements Organizer in the first place by opening a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project and clicking on the Organizer Tab in the row below the active Organize (Blue) Tab. Once you have your video on the Timeline there are all sorts of editing possibilties. Make sure that your source video audio formats are supported by the program and that your computer has enough resources for the task. A great aid is the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF that you can access from the program's Help Menu/.

Sorry, that I did not pick up on your screenshot details initially. Please do not hesitate to ask if any further questions on your worflow.

ATR

• 11. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                              charyl65 Level 1

Thank you for your time but I have tried and tried every way to get into the mode necessary for editing videos and it will just not happen.

I can not get into anything but the organizer, I haven't tried to edit any photos, only trying to work with the videos.

Many Thanks,

Charyl

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

I was so busy typing that I did not see your last two messages until after I submitted my last one. I will read them fully now.

But I wanted to get into a few points

a. You said that you entered the program through the Welcome Screen and had no choice but to pick the Organizer since you did not have any projects.

If that is what you meant, then.... If you click on the Premiere Elements 8 desktop icon that was placed there during the program installation, you will be greeted by that Welcome Screen with Organizer, New Project, Open Project choices. You can select New Project, set your project preset, and the program will open to the active Organize (Blue) Tab interface. You can then click on Get Media Tab and bring your source media into the project with Files and Folders or whatever is the appropriate choice. And, as I said previously, if you want to get into the Elements Organizer, then you click on the Organizer Tab in the row below the active Organize (Blue) Tab. And the route back from the Elements Organizer to the Premiere Elements workspace is via the Elements Organizer File Menu/Exit. If you think that you want to do an on demand AutoAnalzyer, right click the thumbnail for the image in the Premiere Elements Organize (Blue) Tab interface and select Run AutoAnalzyer.

I will take a fuller look at your last posts. Thanks for the additional information. I will be watching for your progress. Do not hesitate if you have any additional questions about your workflow. And above all do not get overwhelmed by the endless details that you hit starting this learning curve. Within a short time, all will become routine.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                  charyl65 Level 1

I tried opening New Project, it will not work, it appears to be loading and then nothing.

• 14. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

Let us try this.

What is the video format that you want to edit. You can use the free utility called gspot to get the video audio properties.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

For the purposes of an example...let us assume that the video is DV AVI standard which means that the video has DV video compression in a AVI wrapper. That video will have a frame size of 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC) and a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second.

a. click on the Premiere Elements desktop icon

b. in the Welcome Screen select New Project

c. in the new project dialog set for NTSC DV Standard (it should be that anyway since that is the default)

d. when the program opens to that Organize (Blue) Tab interface, click on Get Media and then pick Files and Folders

e. nativate to your video saved to the hard drive, bring it into the Organize area, and drag it to the Timeline in the Timeline View.

Can you do that? If not, what is happening to prevent any of those steps for working?

Next we can talk about bypassing the Welcome Screen when you open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. That desktop icon that was installed with the program targets a file called Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe in the program files. What you do is find the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the program files, create a shortcut to it, bring the shortcut to the desktop, and then use that to open Premiere Elements.

Give this a try and let us know if it worked for you and if not where the glitches were.

You can do it. Do not give up.

ATR

• 15. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

You are working faster than I am typing. That is OK. I hope that we can get you moving forward with a new project tonight.

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer with the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1? Very important. Also, do you have Windows Media Player installed?

What is your computer operating system? What do your computer resources look like? Total and available RAM as well as free hard drive space?

Make sure that you installed that 8.0.1 Update (Patch) and shutoff Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer features. Very important. So please double check.

When Premiere Elements is opening can you determine what the last thing is that appears in the progress for the loading starts?

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

To give you a little edge, let us setup so that you bypass the Welcome Screen when you are opening Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Go to the desktop icon that was installed with the program. Right click it and select Properties. In Properties, click on Find Target. That should take you directly to the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe file. Right next to that file should be the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file. Right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe and select Create Shortcut. After you do that, drag that Shortcut to the desktop and the use that to open the program.

When you use this new desktop Shortcut, the program will open to a blank gray window where you go to the File Menu to select New. Again there will be a new project dialog to set. And then the program workspace opening in the active Organize (Blue) Tab interface where you can click on Get Media.

ATR

If you think it necessary, retreat on a temporary basis and then advance refreshed. I will be watching for your progress.

• 17. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Has anyone asked the obvious question? Are the poster's specs up to par for this program? Has she got enough computer power to run it?

Remember that the chief cause or Premiere Elements failing to open is lack of hard drive space. If you haven't got at least 20-30 gigs of free hard drive space -- and that defragmented -- the program hasn't got enough room to breath.

You are running at least a dual-core processor and 4 gigs of RAM with at least 20-30 gigs of defragmented free space on your drive, right?

• 18. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks anyway. We have asked. Answers to come. Please stay tuned.

ATR

• 19. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                              charyl65 Level 1

Yes, I have the most up to date as far as I know. I had to install some homeschool software a couple weeks ago and it promted for all that stuff to be updated.

Yes, I have windows media player installed.

Windows XP Professional.

Hard Drive Space still available 188 GB.

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
                                              Available Physical Memory 1.20 GB
                                              Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
                                              Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
                                              Page File Space 3.85 GB
                                              I  installed the patch, it said "The product is up to date" but it doesn't show up in the add remove programs folder from the control panel.

I am not sure if I did or remember how to do the background rendering but from the organizer mode of elements I did uncheck the autoanalyzer.

The last thing I see is a quick barely noticiable flash as though it came on and went off real quick. that is when I decide to just try the organizer.

I can not get to any video related anything from the organizer.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                charyl65 Level 1

when I check the folder after following the instructions, there are two of the icons you mentioned but neither are followed with the .exe. the original one I have does and when I click it the program runs as normal but when I right click on it and run it as current user or administrator I get a large grey box which says "Adobe has deteced that the application Adobe Prmiere Elements has unexpectedly quit" and is generating a crash report.

• 21. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                  charyl65 Level 1

I have a total of 232 GB of hard drive space and 188 GB of it is free space.

I also have Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz. Does this help?

• 22. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

We can talk about increasing your total installed RAM at another time. Based on what you wrote, it would appear that your computer has enough resources to at least open a new project. But, I would immediately defragment the computer whether you think that it needs it or not.

Later we can also discuss use of an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32) and directing the scratch files there as well as video storage. (See Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.)

But, most important. You did not say if you have Quicktime (latest version or any version of it) installed on your computer with the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

Please refresh my memory....if you cannot open a Premiere Elements project, how did you download and install the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Update (Patch)?

If you can recall or see the words for the last loading item before the shutdown, that would be helpful.

Please let us know about that Quicktime.

Thanks.

ATR

• 23. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                      charyl65 Level 1

Yes, I have quick time. I ran the updater and it installed some safari and some itunes thing, it is up to date.

I downloaded it to desktop first and saved it. I do that just in case for some reason I loose the download page. but from the page I click download, run and run or install, don't remember. It just said Up to date and it seemed to happen to quickly so I went to download on desktop which was saved as a .zip file and opened and installed and got the same thing about it being up to date.

• 24. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

Are you running Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?  If your are not, then use a User Account with Administrative Privileges. If you are already, then two possibilities might be:

a. Try running the program from a newly created User Account with Administrative Privileges

and, depending on the results, consider a

b. Complete and clean uninstall/install of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. But be careful not to delete the installer since Adobe gives you only one download for the tryout whether you use it for 1 or 30 days.

ATR

Just saw one of your messages...

What version of Quicktime is installed at this time on that computer?

• 25. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                          charyl65 Level 1

I am using the regular desktop I always use with everything else, I never really set any other desktops, I did once but deleted it.

I am wondering if for somereason the program isn't recognizing the 8.0.1 patch since that patch is supposed to be for the crashes which I am assuming is what is going on for me. Its there, I installed but it isn't showing up in the add remove programs folder.

How do I keep from deleting the installer?

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

With regard to targeting the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe vs the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, I am not sure what is going on there. If the files in the Program Files do not have a .exe file extension what is the complete file name that you see there?

Make sure whatever you select that you are running the program with a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

I am not sure if I am completely clear

a. if you go to the program files and double click the file that you believe to be Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe (the target of the program's desktop icon), can you open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 from there to the Welcome Screen?

b. if you go to the program files and double click the file that you believe to be Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, can you open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 so that it bypasses the Welcome Screen and opens to the blank gray window that I mentioned previously?

I will be calling it a day in a few minutes. I will wait a few more minutes to wait for any latest reports. I will check in here tomorrow to see how things are going.

Do not give up and get some rest.

ATR

• 27. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

Put the icon that you used for the original program installation in a safe place where you cannot delete it accidently.

ATR

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                With regard to targeting the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe vs the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, I am not sure what is going on there. If the files in the Program Files do not have a .exe file extension what is the complete file name that you see there?

As the default Windows installation is to "Hide file extensions for known files," I wonder if this is the problem here? If so, in Control Panel>Folder Options>View (or similar), one can change what is displayed.

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                  charyl65 Level 1

Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 and Adobe Premiere Elements  is what I see as complete name. through a file search I do get one file named: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe.manifest.

a. yes I get the welcome screen, its a light shade of purple

b. no

c. although I have downloaded the patch and clicked Run, I still can not find it through any searches on my computer, it isn't even recognized on my desktop. In case you are wondering if I have the correct file downloaded, this is the name of the file: premiere_elements_801.

Have a good sleep, thank you for your persistance.

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

With that 8.0.1 Update (Patch), Adobe has pointed out that you will not see any change in the number designation, that is, after the download and install of 8.0.1, the program still shows 8. That bothers a lot of people. The indication of the change from 8.0 to 8.0.1 seems to be:

a. the successful download/installation message that you get from Premiere Elements

and

b. the automatic change of Background Rendering (Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General) from ON to OFF

c. in the program files there is a new .dll file generated.

I suspect that your 8.0.1 download/install is OK.

To be continued....

ATR

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

If that is the case, would not the file still be functional even if the file extension is not displayed in the name as shown in the Premiere Elements program files?

ATR

• 32. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                        nealeh Level 5

I'm sure we can get PRE8 running for you, it is just a matter of time, but in view of your goal:

My goal is to produce a 45 second commercial for a Sears/St. Judes Research Hospital contest

you may find that Windows Movie Maker (Download details: Windows Movie Maker 2.6) will suffice for this project (if I understand correctly all you want to do is cut unwanted frames).

Re PRE here are some basics to do when you come back to it:

• Install all Windows updates
                                                                        • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing)
                                                                        • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
                                                                        • Run Disk Cleanup
                                                                        • Run Defragmenter
                                                                        • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

If you have time in hand and no more urgent projects pending, you may want to consider returning PRE8 and wait for PRE9 (probably, based on past releases, expected September/October time).

Cheers,
                                                                        --
                                                                        Neale

Edited to strike out 'consider returning ...' - not relevant as charyl65 has trial version

• 33. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

Good morning.

First, since you are working with the free try out of Premiere Elements 8.0 there is no need to return anything, just do not use the program (you have 30 days) or remove all traces of it from your computer. But as I said, Adobe allows a person only one tryout download for a given program/version be it 1 or 30 days used. In addition, since you have already stated that your computer operating system is Windows XP Professional, you should have the Windows Movie Maker already installed. Unless I am missing something, the link provided by Neale is for a version of Windows Movie Maker for Vista. But the basic idea of trying to use the Windows Movie Maker for your project is an alternative depending what format you need for your export.

We already have established that you have Quicktime installed. Still waiting for verification of the version number.

What were the results from

a. creating and running Premiere Elements from a new user account?

and if necessary

b. a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall of the program from the installation icon that was downloaded?

This is getting ahead of ourselves, but I will include that there will probably be a watermark on the export from your project using the try out. That watermark can be removed if and when you purchase the program, so if you do purchase the product, no need to redo the the project created in the tryout because of the watermark.

Depending on the results of the above and all else that we have talked about, it might be time to talk about what else is installed on your computer that might be interferring with Premiere Elements 8.0 loading on this computer...maybe those recent downloads/installations might be a starting point if we go in that troubleshooting direction.

I will check into your thread throughout the day to see how you are progressing.

ATR

• 34. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                            nealeh Level 5

Oops - I hadn't spotted that it was the trial version charyl65 had.

XP as standard has Windows Movie Maker 2.0 and charyl65 can use that version. However v2.6, although described as 'for Vista', works on both XP and Windows 7. On W7 it is far superior for creating PRE compatible files than 'Windows Live Movie Maker' as it can export to DV-AVI Type 2 (whereas the Live version cannot).

Cheers,
                                                                            --
                                                                            Neale

• 35. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thanks for the Windows Movie Maker information.

Just one observation in that regard, I have found that Premiere Elements (at least versions 4, 7, and 8 can handle Microsoft DV AVI Type 1 and 2 on the Timeline. The horror story sets in when you have a Timeline with Microsoft DVI Type 1 and you go to archive the project using the Project Archiver/Archiver (Trimmed) option. Not so with the Copy option however. So, the remedy is to convert the Type 1 to Type 2 beforehand (with program such as DVDate) OR use the Copy instead of the Archiver (Trimmed) option.

ATR

• 36. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

charyl65

Edit....

Back in post #10 I wrote

"If you want to edit the videos, then you preset dialog for you to set  (by default it is set at NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard. After that you move  on to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace where you should find  your video on the TImeline or Sceneline."

That needs clarification since a block of the text go lost somewhere.

It should read:

If you want to edit the videos, then you go to the bottom of the Photo Fix Options column and select Edit Videos. When you click on Edit Videos, then the scenario becomes your project preset (new project dialog) for you to set (by default it is set at NTSC (or PAL) DV Standard. After that you move on to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace where you should find your video on the Timeline or Sceneline.

Sorry for the glitch since that was the punch line of the why the videos were not responding to the Photo Fix Options which targeted photos not videos.

ATR

• 37. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Yes, the file would still be fully functional, regardless of the extension display. The display aspect is only to allow the OP to see exactly what they are launching, and know that it is the executable (EXE in this case), they are working with.

Hunt

• 38. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Interesting info on the Project Archiver and the DV-AVI Type I's. I had not read of that issue. Thank you.

The only issues that I could recall with DV-AVI Type I's was with a potential OOS (Out Of Sync), which was usually static, so pretty easy to fix, and then the ultimate file size limitation of DV-AVI Type I's, but few seldom run against that.

Your insight is appreciated, and I will place that caution into my memory.

Hunt

• 39. Re: Priemier Elements 8.0 will not do anything after opening - what do I do?
                                                                                      charyl65 Level 1

I can't set any options because I can't get into the video area

1 2 Previous Next