12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 4:17 AM by AbleWasI

Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9

AbleWasI

Okay, I just purchased Adobe Premier Elements 8.0 and installed the update. I've been using Pinnacle Studio products and wanted to switch over to Adobe because of the reviews I've read.

I shot some video with my little JVC Everio HD camera (Hard Disk not High Def) in 16:9 screen size. I have imported the files into Elements using both the import tool and also directly from the camera hard drive with the following same results... when I drag a clip to the timeline the video is squished to 4:3 making everyone look rather tall.

I checked the project setup to make sure that it is set at NTSC DV 16:9.

I have closed and reopened a new project to verify settings.

I have read the forum posts and cannot find any info.

When I open Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate and chose the same clips, they are all in 16:9 screen size and look great.

Am I doing something really dumb here? Thanks in advance to all those that chose to reply.

• 1. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sometimes, the editing program will miss the flags, set by the camera, to designate the footage as 16:9. In that case, Interpret Footage (Rt-Click the Clip) will "force" the program to treat the footage as Widescreen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
            AbleWasI Level 1

Thanks for the quick answer Hunt.

I follow your instructions but when I right click the clip, there is no Interpet Footage option on the list at all. I did find it under the File Menu but it is greyed out. Do I have a software setup problem here?

• 3. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In your Project Panel, if you Rt-click on the Clip, you don't have Interpret Footage? Guess that they moved it elsewhere.

Maybe someone else can help you locate it in newer versions of PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                rtprtp Level 1

I use PE7. Click EDIT, click PROJECT, right click on the clip and it gives me an interpret footage option. Not sure if it should be the same in PE8.

Good luck, Stan

• 5. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

Thank you for that. I only have PrE 4, and know that things did move about with PrE 7 and again in PrE 8. I would be surprised, however, that this function got moved.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                    rtprtp Level 1

Bill, I'm just curious...why have you not moved to PE7.

• 7. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do about 95% of my work in PrPro, and picked up PrE 4 to handle a few "consumer" formats/CODEC's, that Pro did not work with. I also have Magix MovieEdit Pro and CyberLink's PowerDirector, for the same reasons.

Because of the overlap with PrE and PrPro, I still hangout here a lot, but probably spend most time in the PrPro fora, along with Encore (my choice of authoring programs) and the Photoshop forum (been using that, since the day it hit the PC, so very long ago).

If you notice, most of my replies here are of a very general nature. When the discussion gets to things like Organizer, or some of the features added in PrE 8, I just read. Now, sometimes I do pick up things about PrE 7 & 8, and just parrot those for others. When things get specific, I keep my hands off the keyboard.

That is why I appreciated your comment so much.

When PrE 8 hit, I was telling users to go to File>Export, until Steve, or another, taught me that File>Export had been pared way down, and that most of that had been moved to Share. That is why I try to type "Export/Share," if I do not know what version a person has.

Besides, the more I hangout here, the more I learn about my PrE 4, without having to make a lot of mistakes in the Projects that I do edit in it. [For me, I would probably have liked PrE 3 better, as its layout comes a bit closer to PrPro's, which I love.]

Hunt

• 8. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                        AbleWasI Level 1

Well... I've tried the suggestions above but still nothing. This is very disappointing right out of the box. If the clip was shot in 16:9 then why doesn't PE recognize it as such?

I can't even start a project that I shot over the weekend because of this. Did I just waste $100.00?

• 9. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

It could just be as simple as PrE not picking up the flags for the Widescreen. Using Interpret Footage will "force" PrE to see the Clips as 16:9.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                            AbleWasI Level 1

Thank you Hunt. I appreciate your help!

PrE will not allow me to do that. The option is not available when I right click the clip. The only place I found it was under "File" but it's always grayed out. Very frustrating.

• 11. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Project Panel, Rt-click on the Clip. You should find Interpret Footage in that fly-out menu. Force it to Widescreen 16:9.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Newbie Question - 4:3 vs 16:9
                                AbleWasI Level 1

Okay, after a lot of tries I finally found it. From the "organize" task pane, double click on the clip to launch the pop up player. Then chose "File" from the upper left corner of the Pe8 program window and the option to use "Interpret Footage is now active.

Hope this helps anyone else using version 8.0

Thanks to all of you that posted above.