1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2007 5:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

CD copy protection

cratica Level 1
      I went to the 'mile high list of xtras' but did not find a cd copy protection that would do exactly what I'm wanting.

I would like to be able to protect against people copying the cd. I would make the game require that the original cd is inserted to start the game. I'm using Director MX and the game can run under vista,xp and 2000. We are also burning the cd's inhouse.

Several of the xtras in that table do not support Vista, or require a specific company duplicate the cd's.

Does anyone know of an xtra that will protect against cd copying, works with Vista and allow me to require the original cd be inserted before game will play?

Thanks!!!

Curtis
        • 1. Re: CD copy protection
          Level 7

"cratica" <cratica@austin.rr.com> schreef in bericht
          news:f8jekm$cg1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I went to the 'mile high list of xtras' but did not find a cd copy
          >protection
          > that would do exactly what I'm wanting.
          >
          > I would like to be able to protect against people copying the cd. I would
          > make the game require that the original cd is inserted to start the game.
          > I'm
          > using Director MX and the game can run under vista,xp and 2000. We are
          > also
          > burning the cd's inhouse.
          >
          > Several of the xtras in that table do not support Vista, or require a
          > specific
          > company duplicate the cd's.
          >
          > Does anyone know of an xtra that will protect against cd copying, works
          > with
          > Vista and allow me to require the original cd be inserted before game will
          > play?
          >
          > Thanks!!!
          >
          > Curtis
          >

Hi Curtis,
          how will you burn the CD's yourself if you can not copy them?

I dont think there is a good way to do this, most copy protection schemes
          work on the basis of "non-standard" or "damaged" contents on the CD. This
          immediately means you can not burn those with an ordinary CD-writer, sonce
          they will choke on the contents ... :-(

I am also not a supporter of copy-protected CD's. In my opinion other
          options are better, like registrations, bonus content, free stuff after
          register, downloadable content etc etc.
          Why not encourage your users to copy the CD? Its all free publicity and
          distribution!
          :-)

Richard.