2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 1:03 PM by thenewbeatTO

Flash could not parse this file. HELP!

thenewbeatTO Level 1

Well I've seen tons of posts on this and little-to-no solutions. All i keep reading is that Adobe steps in and helps out. Well... I need that help.

I've build an entire website for a charity in flash - www.dreamlovecure.com - and am trying to update it. Of course, I took the CS4 file from my Mac Pro to my Lap Top with CS5 and now I can't open the file. Even worse is that when I bring it back to CS4 it still won't open.

Help please?

• 1. Re: Flash could not parse this file. HELP!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

can you open the fla with cs5?  if yes and you then use "save as" and designate saving for cs4, can you then open with cs4?

• 2. Re: Flash could not parse this file. HELP!
            thenewbeatTO Level 1

Hi Guys,

Fixed it.

I followed steps I found regarding this similar problem from another forum which I'll post here:

1 - change the extension of the fla to zip so you can unzip the fla into its folder structure (flv).

2 - within the LIBRARY folder, there is likely some asset that is causing the problem. you must figure out which one (or more) it is. you can do this by simply removing files from that folder until your file opens successfully (open the flv file in the root).

3 - once you have the xml files that are causing the problem, you can actually fix them by going in and removing the empty frames. in mine, the part of the xml i removed looked like this:

<DOMLayer name="Layer 2" color="#9933CC" current="true" isSelected="true">

<frames/>

</DOMLayer>

<DOMLayer name="Layer 4" color="#FF4FFF">

<frames>

<DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728">

<elements/>

</DOMFrame>

</frames>

</DOMLayer>

<DOMLayer name="Layer 3" color="#FF800A">

<frames>

<DOMFrame index="0" keyMode="9728">

<elements/>

</DOMFrame>

</frames>

</DOMLayer>

Basically look for any <frames> tags that don't have anything in them. These are harmless to remove as they are not adding anything to your file anyway.

Now you can open the .flv and save it as a .fla again if you wish.

Good luck everyone