12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 4:39 PM by RDA972

Upgrade to CS 5

Mark_WalterSmith Level 1

Hey folks, I was wondering, if an one has upgraded/purchased CS5 and what do you think is that you like the most and what do you hate.  We are on CS4 - do you think, under what situations, it makes sense to upgrade to CS5.  Also wondering, if anyone has used any open source alternatives and your impressions on it

• 1. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

John T. Smith has done a nice series of threads on his upgrading of equipment and upgrading to CS5. He has many real-world observations there.

Harm Millaard has done similar with many posts on what he likes, and dislikes about CS5 (more "likes"), and those make for great reading too.

ShooterNZ has upgraded, and posted many of his observations here.

There are others, but those are the ones, who come immediately to mind. All are accomplished users of PrPro, so they are not still learning the program. In the Search facility here, you can do the Search on People. I think that I got their individual Profiles correct, but you can see many replies by them too, and just Dbl-click on their Profiles, getting to their posts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the new computer I built

Unless you have AT LEAST an equal to the computer I built... don't even think about buying CS5... I built a new computer and bought CS5 to go from SD to HD editing

There are some free programs to do very specific tasks with video files... but I have never heard of free software to do full blown editing

• 3. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
              rejdmast1 Level 2

"but I have never heard of free software to do full blown editing"

It's coming:

http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=164&Itemid=146

• 4. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'll tell you why I'm not quite ready to upgrade.  For starters, there's nothing in CS5 that I really need yet.  Once I move to HD or RED acquisition, that will change.  MPE will be a welcome addition.  But for now, working strictly with DV on a decent system, I don't see much advantage to an upgrade.  I do see one disadvantage, though.  I use Dan Isaac's script to convert my 30i DV files to 24p for that oh-so-nice film look.  That process is 32 bit only.  CS5 is 64 bit only.  So for me to continue working as I do, I'd have to convert twice - once from 30i to 24p, and then I'd have to convert those 32 bit 24p files into 64 bit 24p files.

I'd rather just wait until I get a new camera that can shoot in genuine 24p.

• 5. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                  rejdmast1 Level 2

"So for me to continue working as I do, I'd have to convert twice - once  from 30i to 24p, and then I'd have to convert those 32 bit 24p files  into 64 bit 24p files."

Jim,

Files have no concept of 32 bit or 64 bit as far as operating systems go although they do have different bit depths which affects the color quality.  Once your files are converted to 24p they should play fine in CS5.

• 6. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

According to user reports, files encoded with a 32 bit codec will not play in Premiere.  Only files encoded with a 6t4 bit codec will work.

• 7. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                      Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Jim, I have opened quite a number of CS4 projects in CS5 and have never seen any problems.

• 8. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Nonsense, Jim. How would one import a PR CS4 or earlier project into CS5, where all the material was captured/ingested in a 32 bit environment?

You are confusing third party codecs like Lagarith, that require a 64 bit software version to run under CS5, it is completely unrelated to the source material. Or did you think that all video cameras needed an upgrade to 64 bit as well?

• 9. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

A fair point, Harm.  I hadn't considered that.

But I do recall Jeff saying in other posts that files encoded with a 32 bit codec (Lagarith is what I use, by the way) will not work.  They need to be encoded with the 64 bit version.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2890684#2890684

• 10. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, more specifically, files encoded with a 32-bit codec for which there is no 64-bit decoder will not play in CS5. However, this doesn't apply to Lagarith or the Ut codec; both have 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and a file encoded using the 32-bit version will playback just fine using the 64-bit decoder. The actual encoder and decoder parts are 32-bit or 64-bit, not the files themselves.

• 11. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Thanks for the clarification, Colin.

Maybe now I will upgrade...

• 12. Re: Upgrade to CS 5
                                RDA972 Level 3

Go ahead, Jim. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.