6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 3:51 PM by Steve Grisetti

APE7 Save to miniDV

Phil.com Level 1

I am trying to save to a miniDV tape, Firewire connection. Share/Tape - I get all the right screens, no special settings. I hit record and the camcorder shows the red dot for recording but when I finish there is nothing on the tape.

The record tab is in the right place. I set up Device control for Sony Standard, my camers is not listed, Sony DCR TRV19.

What else do I have to set up?

Thanks.

Cheers! Phil

• 1. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Make sure your camcorder is set to VTR, not camcorder mode.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why it isn't working.

There  are workarounds, of course. You can use Share/Personal Computer/DV-AVI to create an AVI of your movie and then use Windows MovieMaker to output it to your camcorder.

• 2. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
            Phil.com Level 1

Thanks Steve.Yes, the camera is set to VCR. It appears to be recording, red light is on the camera screen, but there is nothing on the tape. I tried MovieMaker and also could not save to tape. Maybe my camera does not function in that mode.

Cheers!  Phil

• 3. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

In light of your experience with two programs, I'd look into:

The FW cable

The FW port and its driver (are you on Win7? If so, change the FW driver to the one with "Legacy" in the name)

The camera and possibly its FW connector

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
                Phil.com Level 1

Bill...  The FW cable works just fine for controlling the downloading video to APE7. Can't I conclude tht it is OK?

I am on Vista.

If it is the camera, then too bad for me, I'm not about to repalce the camera. I have another editor friend who has the same problem, he is running APE8.

Thanks.

Cheers!  Phil

• 5. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

It could still be a certain pin in your cable. Can you swap cables with your friend, just to test. While it's possible that both of you have bad cables, the odds go down. Now, one test of your cable (you might want to swap with friend if this test works), is to do a Capture from tape with that camera and that cable. If all is good, then I believe that we CAN rule out your cable as the cause.

BTW, what make/model camera was this again?

Never mind - Sony DCR TRV19

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: APE7 Save to miniDV
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best test to see if it is a hardware or software issue is of course to use the MovieMaker workaround I recommended in my earlier post.