4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2006 8:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Sounds, Timelines, Controls, Oh My!

THEwagner
      Greetings,
      I am using a MovieClipLoader to load external SWFs into a blank movie clip.
      I have created buttons in the main SWF that pauses and plays the external SWFs, but I don’t know how to pause and play the audio track embedded within the same timeline.

(example: User hits pause: Animation and associated narration stop.
      User hits play: Animation and associated narration continue.
      )

The project calls for narration that syncs with animation, so it seems that loading the audio file externally is not an option. Heres' an example of the controls I need to emulate:

http://www.symon.com/flash/targetvision_demo.shtml

Any advice is much appreciated,
      Thanks!

• 1. Re: Sounds, Timelines, Controls, Oh My!
          Level 7
          THEwagner,

> I have created buttons in the main SWF that pauses and
          > plays the external SWFs, but I don?t know how to pause
          > and play the audio track embedded within the same timeline.

Ah, that simply depends on how you embedded the audio.

> (example: User hits pause: Animation and associated
          > narration stop. User hits play: Animation and associated
          > narration continue.)

That will happen automatically if the audio is set to Stream in the Sync
          setting of the Property inspector. I'm guessing you have a number of small
          sounds set to Event. If that's the case, audio loads into memory as soon as
          the frame is entered, which means the audio is not played in-step with the
          timeline. If you set all those sounds (or one big long one) to Stream, you
          can actually "scrub" the audio by dragging the playhead back and forth while
          you edit.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Sounds, Timelines, Controls, Oh My!
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            you need to use the sound object in your external swfs and not use sounds attached to frames. you can then use the position property of the sound object along with its start() and stop() methods to allow pause and play of your sounds.
            • 3. Re: Sounds, Timelines, Controls, Oh My!
              THEwagner Level 1
              When I deleted the audio layer, opened the property inspector and set it to "Stream" BEFORE I dragged the MP3 to the timeline, all of my simple actions worked. I guess I must of dragged the MP3 to the timeline as "Event" and couldn't change it to "Stream" after the fact.

In regards to kglad's suggestion, wouldn't it be more difficult to synchronize animation with narration if the audio track was out side of the SWF?
              • 4. Re: Sounds, Timelines, Controls, Oh My!
                Level 7
                THEwagner,

> I guess I must of dragged the MP3 to the timeline
                > as "Event" and couldn't change it to "Stream"
                > after the fact.

It's not the layer that gets this setting, but the frame into which you
                drag your audio. Click into that frame and keep an eye on the Property
                inspector. You can change the Synch mode as often as you please once the
                audio is in place.

David Stiller
                Adobe Community Expert
                Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
                "Luck is the residue of good design."