7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 8:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Missing Audio - PE8

missamr

Hi

yet another issue....

I play the individual clip (by double clicking it in the time line) and the audio is there which i want. But when i play it in the timeline nothing plays...  I have added a soundtrack to the full video as well.  The soundtrack is set to the background and audio 1 is set in the foreground, audio 1 isnt muted.

I have tried adding audio in and out tags but the option is greyed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Amanda

• 1. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
          nealeh Level 5

Does your project preset match the clip e.g. if your source has stereo sound then don't create a 5.1 sound project.

What happens if you delete the soundtrack - do you then hear the Audio 1? If so try placing your soundtrack on Audio 2 rather than 'Soundtrack' and see if that fixes things.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Neale's suggestions, I would go to Window>Audio Mixer, and watch the Levels in the two (think that is what you have) Tracks. How do those levels compare with each other? Do you see levels in the meters for each Track? [Note: one can also use Audio Meters, but I like the layout of Audio Mixer better.]

Note that when you Dbl-click on the muxed (contains both Audio & Video, though they appear on separate Tracks - one Video and one Audio), you are opening a little player, and it is playing directly from the "master" Clip from the HDD, and not from the Timeline. Anything that has been done, say at a Track -level, will not be reflected in the Source monitor, as it is playing from the "Source."

As alluded to by Neale, there have been some odd behaviors, attributed to the Narration and the Soundtrack Audio Tracks. I do not know if these are real Bugs in the program, or are perhaps situations, where users have done something slightly wrong. Still, one is not bound to use either of those Tracks (they are fixed, and created with New Project. They can also not be removed). One can place their Soundtrack on Audio Track 3, for instance.

Also note, there are Effects, like Volume, that can be applied at the Clip-level, or at the Track-level. With the latter, those changes remain, fixed to the Track, regardless of which Clip is on that Track. These Track-level Effects are usually added by the Audio Mixer. If you have not used that (before our test above), then you do not have any Track-level Effects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
              missamr Level 1

hi all

i have removed the soundtrack and nothing happens.  I have played the audio mixer as well and there isnt even a little beat in audio 1.

When i dble clck on the clip a little window appears with 'preview' in the top left corner.  It seems like its the orignal unedited version.

Is there any way i can "rip" the audio off of the clip and use it in a separate track? I only need the audio from this one clip

In the audio track, it says Volume and it has a tick beside Clip volume if that makes sense?

The only i havent checked is the sound presets.

Thanks

Amanda

• 4. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There is a great, free utility, G-SPOT, that will give you all of the details about your AV file, including the Audio specs., and the CODEC for that file. Download, install it, and then run your AV file through it. Post a screen-cap from G-Spot.

Now, with zero Audio in Audio Mixer, it indicates that something is not coming through, if that same AV file plays with Audio in a player, like Windows Media Player, VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC, then something is wrong*. [The first is installed with Windows and the latter two are free.]

One can rip the Audio from that file with the free audio-editor, Audacity, and then just Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and Import that into PrE.

By moving the Audio to another Audio Track, you have ruled out any Track Keyframes getting in the way.

Good luck,

Hunt

* When you play that file in an AV player, you DO get Audio, don't you?

• 5. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
                  missamr Level 1

so i unlinked the audio n video and moved the audio to audio 2 and works a treat. not sure why? would be nice to know why but im not dwelling on it.

Thanks for everyones help... moving on finally....

its all a learning experience.

amanda

• 6. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
                    nealeh Level 5

I don't think anyone really knows why, but I'm pleased to hear it worked for you.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Missing Audio - PE8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Amanda,

I am with Neale. For what ever reason, under certain circumstances (I've never figured out exactly what those are), either/both of the two fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration, can experience issues. In every case, that I can recall, moving those Clips to a "regular" Audio Track, seems to fix things.

Glad that your Project is now working for you - happy editing!

Hunt