5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 8:32 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please

Culloden Muir

I am about to give up on attempting to edit with PE8 on my Windows 7 64bit machines.

I can either wait for PE9 hoping that it will be a working programme, or I can opt now for Premiere Pro CS5.

I'd appreciate advice about Premiere CS5 compatibility with my machines.

I mainly edit at home on my desktop but I do edit whilst travelling and then use the laptop.

Desktop is

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400  @ 2.66GHz
      8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 800 PC6400 RAM
      MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      512MB GeForce 7600 GS
      300GB Samsung HDD @ 7200
      500GB Seagate HDD @ 7200
      300GB Western Digital HDD @ 7200

Fully patched with latest drivers.

laptop is

Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz

8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 400 RAM

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

512MB GeForce 9600M GT
      125 GB SSD for operating system

500GB Sony HDD

Fully patched but Sony don't support latest video drivers.

Advice greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built for Win7 64bit Pro and Premiere Pro CS5

The only thing I see that you don't have is an nVidia graphics card, so you will have software MPE but not hardware acceleration for MPE

For a list of supported nVidia CUDA cards go to the FAQ
          http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current/cs5_faq_sheet
          For others, the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0

Depending on the type of video you edit, you should be OK with CS5

You may also read at http://ppbm5.com/ to find computers similar to yours, and their score

• 2. Re: PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please
            Culloden Muir Level 1

Both machines have Nvidia GeForce video cards

I edit AVCHD 1080p and output to HD AVI.

• 3. Re: PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please
              the_wine_snob Level 9

It does not appear that either of your video cards is going to give you CUDA/MPE utilization, but CS5 functions fine without the video GPU enhancements.

The 8GB is a bit on the light side for both Win7-64 and CS4. I am guessing that the laptop is full, but what about the desktop?

The laptop's Core-2 Duo CPU will not allow you to edit AVCHD material (or RED, or several others) smoothly, while the desktop's Core-2 Quad will be minimal.

Having multiple physical, internal HDD's is good. The laptop will suffer a bit there, as you only have the two physical HDD's, and not three. Still, it will be far better, than only having one physical HDD.

What source material do you plan on editing?

As far as the programs go, CS5 offers so very much more control, though at the cost of having few "big-button" options. By this I mean that you will be doing almost everything by "hand," and within the program, there are few Presets, like in PrE. To me, this is a more than fair trade, as one has ultimate control.

Another difference is that to author DVD/BD, one does need to use a second program, Encore, which is bundled with PrPro and will install with it. Again, this offers ultimate control, but the process is more involved. In PrE, you choose a Menu Set, maybe alter the graphic Text, add a few Markers, and press Burn to Disk. The Menus are created for you, and the links made per those Markers. In Encore, you will need to either bring in Menus from the Library, alter any graphics Text, then also create, or use Library Scene Selection Menus. All Linking will be done by hand. For the disc layout, everything is done by hand - no automatic, or semi-automatic layout, like with PrE.

Those are the first things that I think you will notice.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Both machines have Nvidia GeForce video cards

Ah... Ok... I don't know all the model names, so didn't know that geforce meant nvidia

>I edit AVCHD 1080p and output to HD AVI

I edit avchd 1080i with my i7 computer and all goes well... as Harm said, your desktop is a bit light, but other than taking longer you should be Ok

I can't comment on the laptop, since I don't use one

Sadly, the CS5 demo will not edit avchd due to licensing, so you can't test... but Adobe does have a 30 day return policy

• 5. Re: PE8 or Ppro ? - advice please
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Good point about the CS5 trial. I had neglected to mention that limitation, and we both know the issues that the trial has caused with all things MPEG.

Thanks for that info,

Hunt