23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 9:43 PM by Rishaar.G

No video playback in CS5 and CS4

Mexik

Hi All,

I have Premiere Pro CS5 Trial and tried to make some video with it.
      But actually I can't do it, because everytime I try to play it it doesn't play video (simply there's no picture), it plays somehow because I can hear the sound and counter is working but again there's no video.

Tried CS4 and CS5 and it's the same.
      At the moment I don't have any codecs (thought that was the reason) and problem still exist.

I have to mention that I've tried to use different video formats (dv, divx, pure avi, etc.) and it's the same.

My configuration: i7, 8gb ram, 1,5 tb hdd, geforce gts 250, windows 7 pro.

If anybody can help me it would be great.

• 1. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your problems will be solved if you use material from a VIDEO camera, not some non-editable format.

Only use MS DV AVI type2 material.

• 2. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
            Mexik Level 1

Harm, thing is that I have pure DV video material from VIDEO camera which was captured with Adobe Premiere Pro.
            Apart from that all the files are in editable format, doesn't matter it's divx or dvd avi etc.

My problem is that I can't play anything, if it's source (as video that i'm trying to edit) and composition (after edition).try

When I will cut some things and add music and export it then it's fine, but I can't see what I'm doing.

• 3. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              all the files are in editable format, doesn't matter it's divx or dvd avi etc.

It actually matters very much.  Not all video files are well suited for editing.  Stick to using the camera-sourced DV files.  Test only those.

At least that way, we'll know for sure the media you're using should work.  The same can't always be said for other kinds of video.

• 4. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                Mexik Level 1

As I said previously I've tried with pure DV and it's the same.

Anyway I have two files in MS DV AVI format - again can't see video (there's audio).
                The same files I've used on my another computer (XP with Premiere Pro CS3) and guess what ... it's ok.

So if video files are fine what's the problem then ?
                I thought it might be a problem with my graphic card (as in drivers).

Maybe that will give you a clue.

• 5. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

One problem that I see is that you only have one disk drive.

• 6. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

That might affect performance, but shouldn't affect operation.

• 7. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Apart from that all the files are in editable format, doesn't matter it's divx or dvd avi etc.

Neither are editable, DivX is extremely troublesome and DVD AVI's do not exist. Use Gspot to identify the codec in your source material and post a screenshot.

• 8. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For editing DivX (though as pointed out, it is a delivery-only format, and not meant to be edited), I recommend CyberLink's PowerDirector and the installation of the DivX CODEC. Even PrPro's consumer, "little-brother," PrElements, will not handle the DivX material.

As for your "pure" AVI's, called "DVD-AVI" somewhere else in the thread, IIRC, you have me with those names. I am not familiar with either. My guess would be that you mean "DV-AVI." As Harm says, G-SPOT will tell you, and us, all about those files. Also, see this ARTICLE for "AVI" files. For more info on CODEC's in general, see this ARTICLE.

Now, also be aware that the trial version of PrPro will not work with anything MPEG. Just so that you know.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                          Mexik Level 1

Ok Guys !

I'm not stupid and wrote DVD-AVI by the mistake, I meant DV, however ...

The same problem I have with full version of CS4 and problem presist in CS5 Trial.

Thing is that I'm not trying to edit DivX but pure DV captured by Premiere from Panasonic DV cam

I think that I have some kind of problem with overlay because of my graphic card driver.

I forgot to say that I can see the movie by using arrows on my keyboard but it doesn't give me proper view

Later I will make a screenshot of my video source.

Thanks for the answer guys.

• 10. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the clarification. You had me confused there.

If you are having playback issues with DV-AVI Type II's, captured via FW in PrPro, then I would suggest that we go back to the basics.

Can you give us the full specs. for your system?

Have you updated your audio and video drivers to the very latest versions?

For the types of system info, that would be so very useful, this ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                              Mexik Level 1

Thanks Bill for your quick response.

My system:

Intel i5 750

8 Gb of RAM

1,5 Tb HardDrive

nVidia GeForce GTS 250 /512 Mb

SoundCard on the mainboard (asus)
                              Windows 7 Professional
                              Premiere Pro CS4 (full)
                              Premiere Pro CS5 Trial (just for testing)
                              Photoshop CS4 etc.

Do you need anything else ?

And drivers ... I don't think I have the latest versions (audio works fine).

Thanks,
                              Maciej

• 12. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Is that but a single internal HDD? If so, that will be a bottleneck. A minimum of one additional dedicated internal (or eSATA external), is about the minimum for video editing.

Now, that might not be a total fix, but will certainly spiff things up quite a bit.

For additional tips, this ARTICLE might prove useful. For Win7, make sure to look down the thread to near the bottom, and be sure to look at Black Viper's Web page.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  And drivers ... I don't think I have the latest versions (audio works fine).

Get the VERY latest drivers for both. People often develop a false sense of security, when other programs do not exhibit display, or audio issues, but an NLE program will need to interface with both, much more than most other programs.

The same thing can happen with AV files working perfectly in a simple player, but not working so well in an NLE. There are great differences between that player, and playability in an editor. Remember also, the Source Monitor and the little preview monitor in PrPro are really just embedded players, and are not displaying how playback on the Timeline will be. They are also accessing the original Clips on the HDD, and not your Instance of it on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                    Mexik Level 1

http://www.graphicca.pl/www/scr.jpg

That's GSPOT screenshot

Here's how it looks in PrPro:

http://www.graphicca.pl/www/prpro.jpg

• 15. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4

Hello Maciej

You have the same problem with both CS4 and trial CS5.  Very clearly it is your hardware or the tuning of your OS or your set up of Premiere.  When you get a second disk drive I suggest that you run the previous Premiere Pro Benchmark PPBM4 to see how well you are setup.  With only the trial version of CS5 you cannot run the newest PPBM5 version because the trial version has no MPEG support.  Once we have the results of the testing then we can provide you with specific constructive suggestions.

Another Bill

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 16. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

I hope that the OP does not think that we are "double-teaming" them...

I agree with you, and until the I/I sub-system is eliminated (I'd install that driver), I keep leaning in that direction.

Hunt

• 17. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4

What I do not understand is his screen shot of Premiere has no audio in the track in the timeline and on the other hand he has said he hears audio, how can that be?

• 18. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m. Guess that I have been spending too much time looking at the Timelines in PrE, where many Tracks are scrolled off the screen. Did not pick up on that. This screen-cap clearly shows everything down to the Master, so nothing scrolled off the screen.

Hunt

• 19. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                              Mexik Level 1

Ok there's no audio in this one, because I don't need it (will put there some music).

Problem is with those source and program windows - that I don't have video

So just for now forget about audio, and if you have to know I've heard the audio because there was some music just for testing.

Will try today with different drivers.

• 20. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                                Mexik Level 1

Guys !

Got it solved !

As I thought previously the reason was my graphic card old driver, now it works on both CS4 and CS5.

Thanks for all your help.
                                                Maciej

• 21. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that the video driver fixed everything!

Thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt

• 22. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                                    Mexik Level 1

Hi again !

I've made my movie and restarted my computer and after all I had exactly the same situation, now here's the solution:

If you're using ASUS graphic card then just uninstall ASUS GamerOSD program because it can mixup your system.
                                                    That was the reason and by installing new drivers I found that GamerOSD was disabled for a while (then I could use PrPro)

Just to let you all know for a future

Thanks again,

Maciej

• 23. Re: No video playback in CS5 and CS4
                                                      Rishaar.G

Thank you so much @Mexik !!!

I had exactely the same problem, but my Computer is a monster (not Haarm's beast though) and i couldn't figure what was wrong !

For google:

If you cannot play any video in source or Sequence in Premiere Pro CS5, First : DISABLE ASUS GAMER OSD (uninstall in the control panel)

(This soft is likely to be installed if you have an Asus Motherboard / VGA card...)

this should be a sticky ! Thanks again !