4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 11:13 AM by Peter Grainge

converting merged webhelp projects to chm

RonW63 Level 1

A bit of history behind this question.

Coming into this role I was handed a HUGE single webhelp project. Following the advice given on Grainge.org, i have migrated the huge, unmanageable project into 13 sensible, smaller, merged projects. Everything works tickety-boo except that the new merged output is roughly double the output size of the original project.  I can live with this... it is because of duplicated topics, and I have a method in-hand to reconcile the duplications as time allows.

Now the question. Because of the size of the new merged webhelp and until I have the time to reconcile the duplications, my developer colleagues would like the help to be of a CHM variety. The Help is usually installed on our client machines, but could be installed on the serverside.

So, my best alternative is...

A) re-generate each of the 13 sub-projects as a CHM file?  My worry is that the whole merged Help thing wouldn't work with this option? How do I link contextual help to a compiled topic (currently I provide an XML map which is called from the application)?

B) convert Robohelp's output files to CHM?  Is there a freeware/ shareware utility out there that anyone would recommend?

C) something else that I haven't thought of?

Thank you in advance for any advice and guidance...

Ron