4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 3:27 PM by nealeh

Premiere freeze

u65ex54ed

Hi i have had premiere

element for a while and it has worked fine. but

all the suden it starts crashing when i open a project. i have already tryed all of the sugestions but they dont work. half the time i can get premiere to work for a while but it still crashes sort of. it still leaves a window on the toolbar. i have windows 7

• 1. Re: Premiere freeze
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: Premiere freeze
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The trick is to find out what has changed, and correct that.

This could be something as simple as an OS update, or hot-fix, and with the default being set to automatic in Windows, the user might never even know that the OS was updated. These updates and hot-fixes, can render a video or audio driver obsolete instantly, and can cause all sorts of problems with a video editor, since they need to interface with those drivers more closely, than almost any other program. My first step would be to to the mfgr's Web sites and update each to the very latest. Do not trust the Windows driver updater, or any such updating program. They will likely be 5 - 10 versions behind. Go to the source.

Next, things like an iTunes update can install a newer version of Apple's QuickTime Player. What version do you have now? Did you recently update iTunes?

Have you installed any new hardware, or software, since the time that PrE worked well? If so, what?

One test would be to create a System Restore Point for now, and then boot to Safe Mode. When booted, find a System Restore Point from when things worked perfectly and try that. Let the system restore, and then test. If that works, then something was changed/added between the System Restore Points.

Also, saying that you did everything does not help us. We do not know what "everything" means. Can you be specific, as to what you have tried, that did not work?

If the above does not help, take a look at this ARTICLE for tips on furnishing more info about your system, your Assets, your Project settings, and if you have any error messages, be sure to give the full text on those.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere freeze
              u65ex54ed Level 1

this is what hapens when my computer freezes. obvi

ously there is something thats working it justdoesnt let me get to

it. maybe this will give more insight. when i said i had tryed everything i was refering to the Adobe suport steps to solving the problem. i have a fine graphics card and it doesnt have any problems with Adobe premiere.computer screen.png

• 4. Re: Premiere freeze
                nealeh Level 5

Looks to me like a display problem. The fact that PRE is freezing what makes you think that your graphics card doesn't have any problems?

Try the basics first (and don't forget to follow Bill's link to the info required):

• Install all Windows updates
                • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
                • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
                • Run Disk Cleanup
                • Run Defragmenter
                • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children