2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 5:45 AM by ECBowen

Laptop doesn't have firewire port... workaround???

thehhh Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a laptop to use as multimedia machine on the go, bit of premiere, after effects etc.

I'm looking in to this one:

http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

But it doesn't have a firewire port, so i won't be able to log and capture footage from my camera.

Is there any workaround for this?

Or should I be looking into a laptop that comes with a firewire port already?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Laptop doesn't have firewire port... workaround???
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Typically there is a way around that problem as their are Express Card firewire cards, but that nifty new computer does not seen to have that option either.  It was looking good as it has option for two 7200 rpm disk drives as required by Premiere.

The only other option is get a flash card camera and get rid of your tape based camera.

• 2. Re: Laptop doesn't have firewire port... workaround???
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

For some reason many of the laptop shell manufacturers this year decided the expansion capability of the express card slot was not worth the power draw or the effect on the shell dimensions. I have no idea why they made such a ridiculous engineering decision which is moving away from the general logic PC manufacturers have always had which was compatibility and expandability.You are going to see less laptop shells now as the new line releases with out an express card slot option. The logic behind this is likely USB3 and e-sata but the 3rd party hardware industry is not ready yet for this transition. They should have waited for the ramp up of USB 3 devices before they made this move. It will cost many manufacturers sales at really bad time. This green movement is forcing steps backward at a time when we need to be moving forward.

Eric

ADK