6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 6:32 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly

Frank_Binko

Once in a while (every ten times starting PrEl I guess) Premiere is losing my preferences, window settings etc. ("do not show again" messages appear, preference options are set to default ...).

It happened when PrEl crashes, but only sometimes. Now it happened when I normally closed PrEl yesterday and opened it today.

It annoys me. I now did a backup of the user folder (c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\7.0), to restore it more faster. But what can be the reasons? (Couldn't find anything in the forum except for network drive/redirections problems: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2728602#2728602).

• using Windows XP SP3
      • program and settings both on disk c:
      • PrEl starting with a user with restricted rights (installed with admin user)
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The only thing that I can imagine is that there are read/write errors, causing corruption of data on your HDD. Are you experiencing any other anomalies, that might also be read/write errors? This can happen when a HDD, or its controller, are going out. This can happen when a HDD is getting very near capacity. This can happen when other programs are getting in the way.

I'd go into Event Viewer and go to both the System and the Applications tabs, looking for any warning, or error messages, and searching though all of those, especially if they have any links in them.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
            Frank_Binko Level 1

Thanks for the fast response.

I checked event viewer, system and application, but cannot find any clues. Hdd is not full, there are some GBs. Other applications are behaving well. Can't find any hints regarding hdd errors. But who knows ... Perhaps I should run a hdd test program.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would anticipate that if the system was getting any errors, or warnings from the I/O, you would definitely have evidence of such in Event Viewer.

When you say that you have GB's of free space, how much and what is the percentage of usage?

Have you defragmented your HDD's recently? I do this after each day of editing, and will often fire it off, when I go to lunch too.

Good luck, and I'm just thinking here,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
                Frank_Binko Level 1

Bill, event viewer is a good thing to look at. I will keep this in mind more often. Thanks! But because it happens nearly every times PrEl crashed I think there is another reason (would be too much of a coincident).

I've got about 8GB, that's 1/3, free. I do not defragment generally because I read that this will decrease the lifetime of the hdd, it may cause problems with the whole system when crashing and it said it's no use really at all. But I'm no expert.

Thanks again for thinking!

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
                  nealeh Level 5

8GB free disk space is wholly inadequate (you do mean disk space and not RAM?). You need a minimum of 30GB defragmented space to reliably create a PRE output. If your 8GB is 1/3rd of total space then your total hard-disk is only 24GB which suggests a pretty old PC. I think you must provide much more information about your PC and the video clips (see the last bullet following):

Some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
                  • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.7 at time of writing)
                  • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
                  • Run Disk Cleanup
                  • Run Defragmenter (it will not have a noticeable effect on drive life).
                  • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get   Started

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7: losing preferences randomly
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

Actually, frequent defragmenting will prolong the life of a HDD, as it places files in contiguous blocks, so that the heads do not need to jump all over the platters, when doing a read/write from that HDD. With large AV files, and the working files for an NLE program, contiguous free space is very important.

I am with Neale, in that I am confused over what you have.

Could you please furnish the complete details of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated?

Good luck,

Hunt