9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 1:40 AM by perttime

Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC

perttime Level 1

Is it possible - and not horribly complicated - to add separator lines or some empty spaces in WebHelp Table of Contents?

I would like to group the "books" and top level topics, separating them somehow, but adding empty items or simple HTML like <br> or <hr> in the .hhc file is not doing anything.

This is what the graphics designer is asking for:

ToC_w_separators.PNG

I am running RH7 and using a somewhat adjusted version of the "Default" skin.

• 1. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
          Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

Go to whthost.js in your output and search for the function TocWriteClassStyle. You can amend the toc style by changing the style in this function.For instance: to have all your element in the toc have a 10px margin above and below, add:

sStyle+="A {margin-top:10px;margin-bottom:10px}\n";

before "sStyle+="</STYLE>";". Add any regular css and selectors you like.

The A targets all hyperlinks (pages and books with links.) With DIV .parent .stub and .child you can target the books specifically. Play around a bit to see what happens.

Note that you're changing an output file. The file will be overwritten every time you generate the help. Simply copy the file to a safe location and paste the file in your output.

Greet,

Willam

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
            perttime Level 1

Thanks Willam.

That works, except it does not quite do what I really want to do

Adding something like "{border-top:"+gsABgColor+" 1px solid; " adds a border but it does it everywhere where that style is applied.

What I am asked to do is group some of the main level "books" together, so I'd have to be able to determine exactly where the separators go and where not.

It is not the end of the world if accomplishing this is too tricky. I am not going to do something I'd have to do manually in 34 languages...

• 3. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
              Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you want to acomplish. Do you mean that you need a border for every top level? do you need to group specific books in the top level? Do you need a separator below the book at top level when the book is opened (Grouping the subbooks)?

Greet,

Willam

• 4. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Willam

I'm guessing that what is meant is something like this:

tmp1.PNG

I'm wondering why someone couldn't just insert a page that links to a specific and innocuous topic and configure the TOC with a string of dashes or whatever. In this case it would look like this:

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                  perttime Level 1

That is the idea Rick.

With the Default skin, the problem would be that there'd still be an icon in the row with the separator.

BUT

In my modded skin I have a blank icon for topics, so it looks almost good. And the link can point to the next help topic down the list.

There's still a few niggles there:

- clicking those links opens the topic but it does not expand the ToC to the real ToC item

- the highlight for "active" topic always returns to the first item that has the string of dashes (not visible in the screenshot)

- the hover style looks a bit silly (underlined green string of dashes in the screenshot)

- the tooltip (?) with a string of dashes looks a bit silly too... (my mouse cursor did not show in the pic)

- we are using breadcrumbs in the topics, and the string of dashes shows there too...

ToC-separate.JPG

It would be even better if I could get RH and Help to accept the string of dashes without a functional link. If I don't have a link in the ToC item, it does not appear in the finished Help.

Note:

This thing is primarily cosmetic: nice to have. But I guess grouping the items would also be a slight usability improvement.

• 6. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                    perttime Level 1

Next:

ToC-separate.JPG

Green hover color and grey highlight for "selected" still appear.

In IE7 nothing else happens but Firefox complains that the URL is not valid and cannot be loaded...

in the .hhc file the code looks like this:

<li><object type="text/sitemap">
                        <param name="Name" value="____________________________">
                        <param name="Local" value="http:">
                      </object>

• 7. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                      MergeThis Level 4

Not sure if this would help, but there is the Remote URL option in the Navigation tab of the Skin Editor (see Rick's "Nothing appears over there" link in his screenshot). This generally goes unused, but you might be able to hijack it for your purposes.

If you link it to a blank topic that redirects to the first page in the next group, that might work. What's unclear to me, since I've never actually used it, is whether you can use it multiple times in the same TOC. Rick might know. Actually, you could also look at the "Using additional page images in the TOC" in his Skinny on Skins tutorial. I use several images myself (for PDF, TXT, etc.) but you could try using the same image but with different file names to set things up in the whthost.js output file (which needs to be saved externally and used to replace the one that gets produced each time you Generate WebHelp).

But hey, you've got plenty of time on your hands to try it out, don't you?

Good luck,

Leon

• 8. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                        Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But hey, you've got plenty of time on your hands to try it out, don't you?

LOL!!!! Rick

• 9. Re: Adding separator lines or spaces in WebHelp ToC
                          perttime Level 1

Uhh, it gets a little complicated and my lotek solutions are not really satisfactory...

I give up, unless anyone comes up with something simple that works in all browsers.