3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 11:05 PM by Mylenium

Workflow for colour grading PremiereCS5 with Colorista2

Tayedrummer

I'm one of the only humans on this planet who doesn't use After Effects but my excuse is that I work in production, not post, so please excuse this question if it's the equivalent of asking how to focus.

I'd like to use Colorista2 to grade a 5min PremiereCS5 project.  Colorista2 is only about 70% functional in Premiere right now but it seems to be working much better in After Effects and since I have the CS5 Production Premium, I should be able to grade in After Effects right?

I've read much of the help files related to Dynamic Link but I need some help with the workflow.  If I File/Import/Premiere Pro Project all the individual clips but not on a timeline.  If I File/Adobe Dynamic Link/Import Premiere Pro Sequence the timeline shows up but all as one clip on the After Effects timeline.  I've tried posting to the Premiere forum without success.  What would the proper workflow be for colour grading in After Effects?

Much thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Workflow for colour grading PremiereCS5 with Colorista2
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          If I File/Import/Premiere Pro Project all the individual clips but not on a timeline.

Wrong. Similar to DL import, it will create a composition that contains all your clips, but neatly arranged as separate layers. You only lose unsupported effects and transitions from Premiere, but since grading is done on clips with hard cuts and enough handle, this should not be a problem. I suggest your read the online help (again) to alleviate any confusion.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Workflow for colour grading PremiereCS5 with Colorista2
            Tayedrummer Level 1

Ahhhh....found it.  I didn't see the Premiere sequence converted to a composition as it was burried 3/4 of the way down the stack.

I graded the first dozen shots or so of the sequence with Colorista2 and then used File/Export/Adobe Premiere Pro Project, saved it as Filename_Graded, then opened it in Premiere.  The shots that were all on a single video track were now scattered over six but they played back correctly so I guess that's not a big problem.  The real problem is that while the graded clips show that Colorista was applied to the clips, the adjustments were't applied.  All the settings are nulled out.

My question now is:  Is my workflow correct and this is an issue with Colorista2 or is there a way to have the Colorista2 settings make their way between these two programs?

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Workflow for colour grading PremiereCS5 with Colorista2
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
              is there a way to have the Colorista2 settings make their way between these two programs?

No. That's just how it works. It relates to Colorista making massive use of custom UI elements which are handled differently in Premiere and AE. any "proper" conversion would have to be built into the plug-in itself via a meta fromat, possibly, but that's not gonna happen. It#s perhaps best you settle on doing it all in AE and then only exporting the resulkts once you are really done with all tuning.

Mylenium