6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:26 AM by Harm Millaard

Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?

ckelly33

I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit and I have 2 hard drives.  C is partitioned for my OS and then for my programs, it has about 400GB of 1TB free.  D is pretty much empty.

I'm new to premiere (from PSE8), I went to set my scratch discs to 'D' to improve performance.  As I got to the scretch disc settings menu, I realized there were four settings (Capured Video, Captured Audio, Video Previews, Audio previews).....do I set them ALL to my empty drive or would it be better to split these settings?

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am confused. You say that you have two HDD's, and one (C:\) is partitioned. That should give you one physical HDD, Drive0 (C:\ & D:\), and your other physical HDD, Drive1, would be E:\, or higher, depending on drives like burners, etc. See this ARTICLE on partitions. Harm Millaard also has several articles in the Hardware sub-forum, where he talks about partitions.

Why the partition on Drive0?

Where are your Projects located?

Where is your media located?

The ultimate performance would come from spreading the workload, as much as is possible. This would be something like this:

C:\ OS and programs, with possibly the Page File

D:\ Projects

E:\ Media

F:\ Exports

G:\ Scratch Disks for PrPro

However, many want their Scratch Disks to be located within the folder hierarchy of Projects, for housekeeping purposes. In many cases, I also have at least Copies of my media in that same folder hierarchy, but that is because I migrate my Projects between computers, and everything will be on a FW-800 external for this purpose.

With a little clarification on your I/O sub-system, someone can give you suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?
            ckelly33 Level 1

No I have 2 physical HDD's. Each are 1TB.

One has a 12gb partition for WIndows 7 (named drive D) with the remaining 900+ gb (drive C) going for programs/documents, etc.

Drive E is my second 1TB which is currently empty.  In the past, I have done all of my projects on drive C (with the rest of my programs/documents)....one of your replies in another thread called my attention to the fact that I should probably set the scratch discs to a different drive.

I haven't run a project since then but out of boredom today, I decided to go into settings and make a switch over to my unused drive - not realizing that there were four things to change.  I almost went ahead and switched all four to my empty drive, then decided to come here first for advice.  From what I gathered on the chart on the other thread, I moved all four scratch properties to my empty drive.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Read that chart I pointed you to carefully. You have to look at the 2 Disk configuration. For practical purposes forget about your D partition on your C drive, it is only used for restoring your factory installation. For NLE work, it does not exist. So spread the work as indicated.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?
                ckelly33 Level 1

I'm not considering it a drive, I was just trying to be as (unnecessarily) detailed as possible.

From what I gathered form your chart (outside of the preference for a 3 disc setup), I moved all files to my unused drive.  I assume 'media' in your chart is referring to the same thing as 'captured video/audio' in Premier's settings (media  vs. media cache?)

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 & Optimal Scratch Disc Settings?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Media is your souce material, be it captured or otherwise ingested. The big, space consuming original files.

Media cache and media cache database files are the indexed (MPEG), .CFA (conformed audio) and .PEK (peak files for displaying the audio waveform) and the related database pointer files.