8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 10:12 PM by TemporalKinetics

HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1

flbreen Level 1

I have stayed away from HDV recording with my aging Canon XH-A1 because of problems with capture.

I had to record a wedding in HDV and the problem continue with CS5 on my new Windows 7 PC.

This system had been capturing DV video from this camcorder after I changed to the legasy firewire driver.

After fiddling with it for a while I got the Pr Capture function to control my A1 in HDV mode but not capture from it.

I installed HDVSplit and that program did record video with many dropped frames.

Could anyone explain what is going on with capturing through firewire and why there are problems with different versions of Windows?

• 1. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Francis,

When I read your question, I have two choices.

1. Try to answer. or

2. Skip the question and hope someone else will help you.

You have already posted over 90 times here, so you are no longer considered the 'New kid on the block' here.

To answer your question, we need much more information, as you are very well aware. So, I can either look up all your posts and try to figure out if you have already mentioned somewhere in the past what hardware you are using (in your case I would only need to look over 90+ posts, can you imagine the burden to find that information on for instance Bill Hunt, with 27K+ posts?) or I could ask you give the relevant details. Being lazy and short of memory I urge you to do the latter.

Dropped frames with HDVSplit is not common. That may well have to do with faulty tape. Not being able to capture from a GL1 (how?) would suggest either a faulty firewire connection (cable, port or camera) or a setting. Canon is well renowned for its UI, that is difficult to say the least.

Please give us more to go on.

• 2. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
            flbreen Level 1

Asus P6 SE
            Intel i7 930 CPU

I am not sure what more info is needed.

I have a new PC running W7 and CS5.

I changed to the legasy firewire driver that Harm recommended.

It works well for capturing DV but HDV is a real pain.

I was able to get a good capture of a short video in HDV but that required a lot of fiddling and diddling of the camcorder and the firewire plug.

If it is the camcorder's problem I will have to look into that.

• 3. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

I can say that I have a pair of XHA1s and I have captured hours of hdv video via CS5 with hardly ever a dropped frame.  It should work just fine.

You have an environment problem or a problem with your camcorder.

I assume you know how to set your camcorder for hdv mode and same in Pr when capturing

• 4. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
                flbreen Level 1

What PC are you using?

You are sure there is nothing wrong with the A1.

I was able to capture good HDV video after fiddling for a while.

Before that I get the message "Can't Activate Recorder".

Do you produce Blu-Ray disks with your HDV?

• 5. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

flbreen wrote:

What PC are you using?

You are sure there is nothing wrong with the A1.

I was able to capture good HDV video after fiddling for a while.

Before that I get the message "Can't Activate Recorder".

Do you produce Blu-Ray disks with your HDV?

1. My system spec is shown at the beginning of this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITT-Tf8-EU&feature=player_embedded

The demo is on AVCHD, but it is the same system.

2. There is nothing fundamentally wrong.  I cant say if there is something wrong with yours.  Your head could be misaligned or dirty

3. You shouldnt have to fiddle.  it should work reliably.  Set the A1 for HDV, not automatic.

4. Either cam is broken, bad cable, bad firewire, or you have them configured wrong.

5. Yes

• 6. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
                    flbreen Level 1

Hi

I assume that you had to make the same change to your Windows 7 firewire driver (legacy) that I did?

Once that change had been made the DV capture worked well.

That makes me think my XH-A1 and my connections are all good.

When I change to HDV on both the A1 and the Capture Window I can play the video and control the A1 through the Capture Window.

When I click the record button in the Capture Window the video screen in the Capture Window goes dead but video is being recorded.

When I click on the Stop Button in the Capture Window the recording stops but the A1 keeps playing until I press the stop button on the A1.

I assume you have better results than that.

When I installed CS4 on my Vista PC last year I had to make a different change to the firewire ports on that PC to do any video capture.

I have a 5 year old Dell PC running XP and Pr 1.5.

I didn't have any problems with firewire connections to it.

There must be something going on with firewire connections in later versions of Windows.

• 7. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
                      SFL46 Level 3

I too capture HDV from a XH-A1 into PrPro CS5 on a W7 64 bit platform, as I have done since CS3 days.

I know that fact doesn't directly assist you other than to know it can be done.

Some things I learned back in CS3 days (which was the last time I had to do setup--the CS4 and CS5 upgrades did this by themselves)

There are two varients of HDV--HDV2 and HDV1.  Canon and Sony use HDV2.  In your prPro capture settings, did you properly identify the make and model of the deck/camera--this enables HDV1 or HDV2 and other settings appropriate for that deck.

The XH-A1 must be set to DV or HDV, as appropriate, NEVER AUTO.

The XH-AI must be in PLAY not camera

If you change between DV and HDV while the firewire is connected, you need to disconnect the firewire physically and re-connect it, otherwise the driver may remain at the original setting.  NOTE that some devices don't like this treatment--if you re nervous, after changing the menu, turn off the camera and turn it back on.

In PrPro, if you are capturing via F5, I find that the current sequence must be set to the exact same settings as your tape before the capture. Your mileage may vary.   In setting up that sequence, ensure to use the appropriate preset-- if you are in NTSC land, 1080i 29.97 (which I think is shown as 1080 60i in the dialog)  When I first tried to capture, I was misled by the 60i and tried to setup a custom present based on 1440 x 1080 x 1.33 29.97--this failed on every attempt. Use the preset.  If you don't use the preset, PrPro will see the conflict and give you an error message.

• 8. Re: HDV Capture Problems W7 Canon XH-A1
                        TemporalKinetics

I know this thread is old, but I'm putting this in just in case someone finds it and needs to know this.  This is what I did to correct:

WITHOUT the cable plugged in, turn on the camera and put it in PLAY mode.  Go into the menu and into SIGNAL SETUP and change PLAYBACK STD to HDV.  Change HD DOWN-CONV to OFF.

Turn off the camera, then plug in the cable and turn the camera back on.  Now in PLAY mode it should capture in HDV.

You can't change it with the cable in and the default is AUTO which doesn't work.