8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 9:54 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Multiple layers colour correction

Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Hello all!

I’m newbie in composing, so I need some help.

I’m going to put together several clips, but their colours don’t match.

Idyll. 00030. Example.jpgIdyll. 00100. Example.jpg

If I were a photographer, I would split for example the first footage into four layers:

- Sea;

- Sky;

- Left thicket;

- Right thicket;

adjusted them separately, feathered layers edges and voila – more or less acceptable result.

Idyll. 00030. Corrected.jpg

Being armed with such outstanding knowledge, I started to devise how to create masks for my footages in Premiere Pro. ‘Sixteen-point garbage matte’ was obviously not enough for such complex contour as palm thickets.

It would seem, dynamic link to Adobe After Effects was the direct way to Paradise. However, AE completely killed the remains of HD quality...

I also tried to experiment with Premiere Pro ‘gradient wipe’, using as ‘Gradient Layer’ created in Photoshop ‘masks’ for sea, sky and thickets, but I was unable to make Premiere recognise their feathered edges, which resulted in a lot of artifacts around...

I’d appreciate if somebody could tell me either how to feather my masks or, perhaps, absolutely different but effective solution for my issue.

• 1. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
          shooternz Level 6

I will take a little shot at this...but there are many many  ways to CC and Grade

images.  Some depend on your tools.

Techniques may vary to a still photographic method because a still photograph stands alone and movie footage needs to accceptably match between scenes and they also have the complication of movement ( both camera and subject).

First :  I dont understand why you said " However, AE completely killed the remains of HD quality..."

It should not do this and AEFX would easily do what you acheived in your P.S method.  It has all the tools that you had in PS to do it.

Next:

I would not expect to totally match those scenes if you are talking about exact matching sky, sea, plants, sand.  The time of day, the camera angle, the scenes location etc...are all different

However you should be able to get an acceptable match of "feel and look".

IMHO : Forget generally about "Compositing and masking" to achieve this (unless you can work it in AEFX.)

Work on one of the clips at a time then work on the next.  Its a to and fro kind of process later down the track.

Set up a "reference monitor" in PPRO. (someone will advise a properly calibrated external monitor also)

Using only the tools in PPRO.   :  Set your Levels (first),  These are the tones and grayscales in your image. Kind of ignore the color at this stage.

Then play with the 3-way Color Corrector (and /or Curves). Now think abut the color.  HSL will be useful.

Then work with the secondaries ( if you can understand them in PPRO).

So ...I would work to achieve a similarity in the sky first  ( Color / Saturation).  sea/sand next ...via secondaries.

FWIW: I would use Colorista II  for this task though.  It has masks and color keying etc..

• 2. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> However, AE completely killed the remains of HD quality...

If you come to the After Effects forum, we can help you through whatever problem you're referring to here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Thanks for your reply shooternz!

I'll try to explain the issue of matching colours more precisely...

Although different clips are shooted in different location, light conditions etc., we often need to get them together in one scene.

E.g. those particular clips are included in introductory chapter of the movie.

I don't expect colours would be totally matched. That's why I mentioned about 'more or less acceptable result'. (And you are talking about the same - acceptable feel and look)

The task of matching represented clips colours (in my humble opinion) becomes complicated that different parts of the footage - sea water, sky, left thicket and right thicket - need different adjustments in brightness and contrast, light temperature etc. (therefore, different 'levels', 'curves' etc. adjustments for each part...)

Regard to AE, I also HAD NOT EXPECTED that the outgoing result would be so depressing. After Effects was my first idea, because I could implement there the very ideology of masking multiple layers. However, I trust my eyes (at least yet) - After Effects blurs HD video...

P.S. I've heard a lot about Red Giant plug-ins. Unfortunately, I have no one of them... sorry.gif

• 4. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Thanks Todd!

I'll be there within a couple of minutes

• 5. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
                  shooternz Level 6

As I said ...you will manage exactly what you want in AEFX .  Your end result will be excellent once you sort whatever the issue is.

AEFX is an awesome application.  Only thing...its not realtime so you need to change your thinking a little.

Good luck

• 6. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

...its not realtime so you need to change your thinking a little...

I'm quite flexible in thinking.

Hope, we will be able to elaborate solution in AE forum...

• 7. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      After Effects blurs HD video...

I find that very hard to believe.  Operator error seems the far more likely explanation for the undesirable results.

• 8. Re: Multiple layers colour correction
                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Welcome to After Effect forum thread to give a real hand:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/703428?tstart=0