4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2007 9:28 PM by roshankolar

Extraciting animation or images from director file

roshankolar Level 1
      I have a dir file. i know nothing on director. the director file has some animations. i need to extract the images., especially the animated buttons, and all. i wanna reconstruct it in flash. i need to do it as soon as possible. otherwise i would have made it fully in flash. since i cant sit and draw, please let me know how i can get the animated sequence of images from dir?, or the movie clip(if dir has that term) for buttons and mouse actions it uses. can you clear this out? if i can get an image sequence from the dir of the animation i would be very much relieved.
        • 1. Re: Extraciting animation or images from director file
          Level 7
          roshankolar wrote:

> I have a dir file. i know nothing on director. the director file has some
          > animations. i need to extract the images., especially the animated buttons...

Hi,

You can export every frame of your Director file (movie) as an image sequence by
          going to File > Export. Then choose 'All Frames' and choose the image sequence
          under Format. If you're on Windows, it will say 'SIB File Sequence (.BMP)'. If
          you're on Mac, it will export to a PICT sequence. Now, this won't export
          interactive elements so this goes for your animated buttons. Your animated buttons
          may be a series of bitmap images. If so, you can double click them in the Cast
          Window to open them in the Paint Window. Then from the Paint, you can select all,
          then copy and paste directly into Photoshop and save as an image. You can't extract
          vector images n this way.

If you'd like more advice, you can email em directly (d.utian@unsw.edu.au) and I
          will look at your file and let you know what can be done.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Extraciting animation or images from director file
            roshankolar Level 1
            hi dean,

i have another doubt. i have to try your suggestion on extracting images from dir. now, we are creating a flash swf movie that plays with quicktime in mac. i will get all these separated .bmp from director and create a movieclip in flash as the button. now this swf doesnt run on quicktime unless its publishes as flash 5, or older. and these old swf converted files are too large in size, a small animation swf can come upto 1 mb. what do i do for this? why doesnt QT support mx swf and higher? can i resolve this through some third party software? or any other flash tweaking? i cannot compromise with the clarity too.

waiting....
            thanks a lot.
            • 3. Re: Extraciting animation or images from director file
              Level 7
              roshankolar wrote:

> now this swf doesnt run on quicktime unless its publishes as
              > flash 5, or older. and these old swf converted files are too large in size, a
              > small animation swf can come upto 1 mb. what do i do for this? why doesnt QT
              > support mx swf and higher? can i resolve this through some third party
              > software? or any other flash tweaking? i cannot compromise with the clarity too.

Hi,

QT use to be able to play swfs and now it will only play Flash 5 and earlier
              versions. Perhaps it's because the new SWFs were encompassing things that were
              getting too complex for QT to handle and so the time to build in the support was not
              seen as feasible. I'm guessing here. I don't know why QT does not support current
              SWFs.

Why do you need your SWFs to play through QT? Why can't you just play them through
              Flash player?

Did you manage to extract everything from Director OK?

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 4. Re: Extraciting animation or images from director file
                roshankolar Level 1
                hi dean.,
                yeah the director image rippin works. and as for the Qt issue, i need the swf to play in QT. Is there any other Mac alternative. coz i dont wanna install any players and stuff to run my movie, QT means its already there and fine,. So if QT wont support latest swf's then i might have to use flash player for Mac right?

thanks a lot for your feedbacks.
                roshan