8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 5:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Flipping video (newbie)

daprezjer

I apologize for just asking this question instead of learning a bit more.  I used Premeire way back in the day and lots has changed in this new version, and this is basically the only thing I'm going to use it for in the near future.

I have a .MOV video approximately 2 minutes in length.  The video orientation currently is vertical, though halfway through, the actual orientation moves from vertical to horizontal (so that when viewing, you're suddenly looking at it sideways).  I'm trying to "flip" the video on its side at that point, and I want the finalized version to be of a horizontal landscape.

So the the initial video (vertically oriented) would have to be centered with black bars on either side.  Then, at minute 1, the video flips to its side (so the viewer is still seeing the subject matter right side up) and the black bars are filled out with the entire content of the remaining video.

I'm used to dealing with cut points, which I can't seem to find.  I figured I'd just:

- change the canvas size to horizontal and resize the initial video so that its height fits within the horizontal canvas, and center it horizontally

- make a cut point at minute 1

- rotate the second half of it and then resize to fit the canvas

If someone could help me on my way through these steps I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jeremy

• 1. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeremy,

I might be missing what you want, but believe that what you are looking for is the fixed Effect>Rotation. This can be Keyframed over time, so you can Rotate your footage, as you wish, and when you wish over however long, or short a time you want it to happen.

The fixed Effect>Rotation will be found in Window>Effects Control, and you will need to Select the Clip in the Timeline to apply.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If needed, this TUTORIAL on "basic Keyframing" will be useful.Note: Curt did this several versions back, so some of the look will differ, and some of the controls might have moved around a bit - you need to read-between-the-lines, but the concept is still revealed, and that is what is important.

Keyframes are easy, once one has the concept. Writing about Keyframes is not so easy - the tutorial will get you started. Also, see the Help Files for Effect>Rotation, as there are a few little "extras" in its settings, and they can be very useful, or might get n your way, if you are not expecting them.

If you know Keyframing, just disregard, unless you just want to see Curt's tutorial.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
              daprezjer Level 1

Thanks Bill.  My real problem was seperating two parts of the video (resizing and moving is quite easy after that).  But I just found the "elevate" option that allowed me to split a portion of a video off to another level (I think).   I'm exporting now to make sure it's doing what I want.  Thanks!

• 4. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gottcha. I felt that I was missing something. Thanks for the clarification. Now I know what was not sinking in!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
                  daprezjer Level 1

I'm almost there!  Just one last question if you don't mind.  I've looked around and see some answers for it, but sometimes they talk about using outside software, and sometimes they talk CS4, which oddly seems to have more options than I see.

I exported to a new .MOV file with the standard settings offered.  What I got out was about 300 times the file size of my original .MOV file!  (3 MB to 500MB!).  I've done nothing different to the video other than splice it and flip it at one point, so it should be around (if not exactly) the same size.

There's a list of "quality" for the video but I don't see a way to edit it, though I can edit a bunch of things I know nothing about (codecs, etc.).  I'm almost suprised there isn't an optimization wizard.  I'd just play with the settings except that it's taking 10 minutes a pop to export.

Any thoughts?  This is just going on YouTube, so I don't need terribly great quality.

• 6. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It's a different bit-rate. If you have QT Pro, you should be able to use the Properties Panel (Ctrl+J) to get the bit-rate of your original file. G-Spot can possibly do it too, but not sure if it will get you the full specs. on a MOV. It also falls down a bit with some WMV's.

My guess is that you had something like H.264 in the original, and then used a CODEC, like Animation (good one, BTW), hence the difference.

Between you and me, if I was doing an intermediate MOV, I would live with large files with something like the Animation CODEC, and get the best possible quality. Yeah, big files, but think about the quality!

Good luck, and I'd love to see what you end up with - please post a link.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
                      daprezjer Level 1

I did some more digging and the audio was a huge part of it.  I made it ACC and that helped somewhat.  I just don't understand how the quality of the output (which seemed fine before, btw, could be "better" than the original).  But I digress. It's under YouTube's file size limit so it's good enough.  It's just a video of my friend singing for her competition, but if she decides to post, I'll let you know!

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 8. Re: Flipping video (newbie)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeremy,

It cannot be "better" than the original, however it can be very, very close TO the original. If one does several levels of compression, then things go downhill quickly. If you do any still image editing, think JPEG from a JPEG.

Many editor will go out of their way to NOT compress footage, even if one does end up with large files. That is just part of this business.

Sorry to have not been more clear - you cannot improve, but you can take the video-editor's version of the Hippocratic Oath - Do No Harm.

Good luck,

Hunt