5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 7:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Unable to find files upon opening...

KGTho0925

Every time I open my project, I get a pop up that says the program is unable to locate certain files. The files have not been moved on my computer (and have previously been uploaded into Premiere). It's never the same files... can be a jpeg image or a mov video file... and once I find it, everything is fine. However, the next time I open my project, it starts all over again (but often times with completley different files). What's going on???

• 1. Re: Unable to find files upon opening...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying these files are on your C drive? (This issue is common when the files are stored on external hard drives that have not been properly configured.)

If so, how much free, defragmented space is on your C drive?

• 2. Re: Unable to find files upon opening...
            KGTho0925 Level 1

Actually, I am using an external hard drive for most of my files. It does seem as though the files it can't find are ones on the external hard drive. Ugh.

Should I map the external hard drive?

• 3. Re: Unable to find files upon opening...
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes. If you assign a drive letter for it the computer will know it's the same drive every time. Otherwise, it thinks it's a new drive each time -- which is why it's losing links to your files!

• 4. Re: Unable to find files upon opening...
                KGTho0925 Level 1

Good to know! (fyi.. I have no clue what we're talking about... my husband sort of does, though). He's trying to figure out how to do this... is it easy to do?

Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Unable to find files upon opening...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, the only reason for this message is that the Path of those files has changed, or at least PrE thinks that they have changed. This could be due to drive letter assignment, Renaming, Deleting, Moving.

Your PREL, Project File, is but an XML database with only links to the media files, and instructions on what to do to them. Those files are linked via the Path, where they were located, when you Imported them. If that is altered in any way, then PrE will ask, "Where is file ____ ?" Fortunately, when you navigate to that file's location, PrE will then link to all other media files used in that Project in that folder. If the files are in several folders, you will need to then navigate to the next folder, where all used files in it will be re-linked.

As Steve points out, a common issue is with externals, that often get different drive letters, depending on which devices are plugged in to the computer, and in which order. Remember, the Path is absolute. If you original Path was E:\PrE_Projects\[Project Name]\Stills, but now you are looking at F:\PrE_Projects\[Project Name]\Stills, you WILL need to locate those files.

I use externals to migrate my Projects between my workstation and my laptop. Each external has a unique driver letter, and that is set in the OS of each computer. That means that external Z:\ is Z:\ on all of my computers, regardless of what else might be plugged in, and in which order.

If the Path has not changed in any way, then I would think about a failing HDD, and read/write errors.

Good luck,

Hunt