26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2010 1:06 PM by PaulieDC

Nvidia Quadro 4000

Jens Daabeck

I see that the new Fermi based Nvidia Quadro 4000 is now available. Does anybody know if or when there will be Premiere and After effects CS5 support for this card? Any comparisons with 470 or 480 available?

• 1. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699440?tstart=0

No comparisons yet. Keep in mind that AE does NOT have MPE support.

My personal view: Nearly triple the price of a 470 for less cores (256 versus 448 cores), smaller memory bus (256 versus 320 bit), lower bandwidth (89.6 GB/s versus 133.9 GB/s bandwidth) and slightly more memory (2 GB versus 1.28 GB memory). Seems like a giant markup for the drivers and the display port connections, which are only useful if you have a 10 bpc display.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Keep in mind HDMI can carry 10bit color as well if you have the display that has a 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI port and it supports Deep color. I was hoping Nvidia would really make the Quadro cards something special compared to the GTX cards. Instead the Ram Frame Buffer is the main advantage which is currently not really used beyond the GTX cards by Adobe or other applications. Sometimes I wonder how much better the Quadro cards would be if marketing no longer had a say in the design.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
              Jens Daabeck Level 1

Thank you for these facts.   My Dell system has a Q9650 CPU with 4 cores running at 3GHz, 8GB RAM, 7,200 rpm SATA disks and a 375w power supply. As far as I have found out, the graphics card in this system has to be less than 200w. That is why I am interested in the Quadro 4000 which consumes max 142w while the 470 goes up to 215w. Apart from this I can see from your entry that the 470 has better specs. My Dell 2408WFP monitor has a displayport and takes hdmi input as well.   An alternative for me could be to go for the 470 and upgrade the power supply to 425w. Would that make more sense?

• 4. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                Harm Millaard Level 7

People generally tend to skimp on the PSU, as you are. It is one of the most overlooked and difficult components to diagnose when you run into mysterious problems, but a 425 W PSU will not cut it. Get at least a 600W unit and that is the bare minimum. with the extremely overpriced and underspecced Quadro 4000. Go even higher with a much more affordable and powerfull 470.

• 5. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                  Jens Daabeck Level 1

I would like to ask two more questions if I may:

Would you happen to know where to start looking for a 600w PSU that is compatible with a Dell XPX 420?

When the 470 is working so well why is it not on Adobes list of supported cards for Premiere and AE CS5?

• 6. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Yesterday I went to my favorite site for PSU calculations, eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and roughly calculated what you will need. I have the Pro version, set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% to end up with 600W to which I would add 10-15% for safety.

If Dell does the same thing as HP with the Z400, you are in trouble, because they use a custom sized PSU and no normal PSU will fit in without some mods to the case. You have to get the exact dimensions of the current PSU and the one you want to use for replacement to be sure it fits.

During a road show someone from Adobe mentioned that the 470 will be supported in the upcoming .DOT release, which is expected shortly.

• 7. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                      PaulieDC Level 2

"someone from Adobe mentioned that the 470 will be supported in the upcoming .DOT release"

LOL! Yeah, they're going to add "GeForce GTX 470" to the text file...

I'm afraid that Dells are extremely fussy when trying to use a 3rd party PSU. My old Dell Dimension 4700 had a noisy fan in the PSU, so I bought a new PSU, and while it fit and plugged in, it simply wouldn't power up. I called Dell and they said I can;t use a third party PSU (huh??). Then my issue was confirmed by several others. Hence, last year I decided to build my new rig and it has been a joy unspeakable. I can change anything I want when I want, no proprietary PCs for me ever again! I'm building an i3 for my wife, so whatever happens, I can fix it. And most hardware you buy has 3-5 year warranty, and often lifetime when you register. Call Dell and ask them how much a 5 year warranty costs... more than a GTX 470!

I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but I wouldn't suggest spending a lot trying to upgrade the Dell, I've been there and it's no fun. I'd start planning your new build.

• 8. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                        Jens Daabeck Level 1

Currently  I am away from home but is trying to learn about PSUs. In a weeks time whem I am home again I will open up my PC to fill in all the numbers in the eXtreme application to find out if I need a 600, 650 or 750w PSU and to make sure that a new PSU will fit.I have found quite a number of references to people that have put in a more powerful PSU in the DELL XPS420 so it should work. The efficiency is very good on new PSUs and I guess a modular unit is a good choice. As far as I can see there are many PSUs available that would fit my requirements to support the GTX 470.  Thanks for your help so far. I will let you know how I proceed.

• 9. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                          Jens Daabeck Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I have searched and found quite a number of references to people that have upgraded the PSU

in a Dell XPS 420 in a similar way as I intend to do so I hope it works.

• 10. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                            Jens Daabeck Level 1

Thanks for your reply. As my Dell display supports HDMI input would it be better to use this rather than the DVI-D from a GTX 470?

• 11. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                              PaulieDC Level 2

"I have found quite a number of references to people that have put in a more powerful PSU in the DELL XPS420 so it should work"

Hey, that's great news, I wonder if Dell is stopping the proprietary thing. Hope that works for you!.

I did some research recently on HDMI, and from what I read (and I certainly could be wrong), HDMI doesn't necessarily deliver a better image quality over DVI, but you do get the convenience of audio and a more flexible thinner cable to run. I just got the EVGA GTX470 last night, and it is a powerhouse over my 285, but I still use my DVI cable, one, because it's already there, and two, because the HDMI port is the mini version, then you need an adapter to make it a normal HDMI port (and three, no HDMI on my current monitor). Granted, EVGA did include an HDMI cable and the adapter, but I just prefer the more solid DVI securely screwed in, even if I did have an HDMI port. My older Dell 2405 monitor has no HDMI port, but my next monitor will. If I find out there's an optical advantage to HDMI, I may switch. For now I don't think it's a big deal, UNLESS you plan on watching commercial Blu-Ray discs on your PC, then I think you have to have it setup with HDMI for the copy protection requirements, etc. I may be nuts, but I thought I read that somewhere.

• 12. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                Jens Daabeck Level 1

Now I am now back home and had a look inside my PC.

Using eXtreme PSU Calculater Pro with the actual numbers from my PC I get a recommended wattage of 588W when specifying a GTX 470, 100% System Load and 30% Capacitor Aging. For +12V it says 39.8A.

I have looked at PSUs and it seems that the Corsair HX650W can be used. It get good reviews, is widely available and should physically fit. The efficiency should peak around 87% when the GPU is not used.

I see that there are many card makers for the GTX 470. Are there any real differences between these cards? Is there a comparison somewhere?

• 13. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

They are all about equal, one may offer better or longer warranty, the other may overclock slightly, the third one may install a different cooler, but the overriding factor is price/warranty.

• 14. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                    Jens Daabeck Level 1

I have now received a new PNY GTX470 card and noted that the rear double metal plates (with the DVI-D sockets) are both slightly bent at the bottom. The lower 2 cm are bent 4-5 mm towards the front of the card. Unfortunayedly I will not be close to my PC for a couple of weeks so I can not test yet the card to see if it works. Should I wait and test it or just return it to?

• 15. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000

Do you mean the Static Shield on the card is bent and nothing else?

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                        Jens Daabeck Level 1

Yes, nothing else is bent. Since I posted my question I have been looking at pictures of the PNY card on the internet and some of them show the bent metal pieces. Is this meant to hold the card card better in place? All other cards I ever mounter were never bent.

• 17. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000

Some static shields can come that way depending on the manufacturer. If it is just the Static shield then I would try it providing the card came in a retail box and it was sealed. If not then I would send it back.

Eric

ADK

• 18. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                            Jens Daabeck Level 1

The card came in the correct box and plastic wrapped. There was no sticker seals as many other boxes have. I am not convinced that the box was 'new' as there inside are deep two marks which match the bottom of the metal plates. However, with the inserted foam pieces there is no way that the metal plates could have reached the edges of the box. Even if they could have, they would not make such deep marks unless being forced. The card was delivered by buy.com.

• 19. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                              PaulieDC Level 2

Ugh, I have actually stopped buying from Buy.com... their ratings have plummeted over the last 12 months and there are a LOT of people stating that they aren't getting new products. Maybe they are moving new-but-returned items, who knows. In the past 5 years I've had completely satisfactory service from Adorama.com, Newegg, TigerDirect, BeachCamera.com and Amazon. BuyDig.com has been good the few times I used them. Oh, I've recently purchased two video cards directly from EVGA, they ship IMMEDIATELY and you get mail-in rebates back in 2 weeks. And, their engineers answer your questions on their forums within hours. If you can't test that card within the return period and you bought it from Buy.com, I would take no chances. I personally would return it. Make sure you mention the bent metal and obvious not-new packaging so they pay the return shipping (if they still do that).

• 20. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                PaulieDC Level 2

Just FYI, I bought this card from EVGA directly two weeks ago http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1472-AR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw= , and I already got my rebate $22, fast track). The card is blazing.

• 21. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000

Based on that info I would send it back. It really sounds like B-Stock and not new.

Eric

ADK

• 22. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                    Jens Daabeck Level 1

Thank you both. I have now returned the card to buy.com and locally bought the same card from Best Buy, no dust, no scrathces, no dents and the metal pieces are not bent (only the last few milimeters a tiny little bit). I can add to one of my earlier comments that the PNY box has no seals, only wrapped in plastic. Next I need to get home home to my PC and install the new Corsair HX650 power supply, the PNY GTX 470 and the CS5 upgrade.

• 23. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                      PaulieDC Level 2

Good deal! It wasn't worth the risk of the card dying in a couple of months... plus Buy.com needs to wake up and smell the economy.

• 24. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                        Jens Daabeck Level 1

Due to unforeseen circumstances in my family I have first now been able to install all the stuff: replaced the power supply with a Corsair HX650W, replaced the graphics card with a PNY GTX740 and upgraded to CS5. I have done a number of tests on 5DII videos and it all works fine. Now I finally can edit this format without any difficulties. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE.

• 25. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                          PaulieDC Level 2

Super! Happy Smooth Editing!

• 26. Re: Nvidia Quadro 4000
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

You're welcome. Happy editing.