3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 7:56 AM by Ned Murphy

Estimating Hosting Costs before the site has been designed.

Drewmister

We want to build a site like these Flash sites.

WebKinz, Club Penguin, Toon Town, etc...

How can we estimate what our hosting costs will be if our site hasn't been designed yet. We have user count targets and the general scope and concept of the site. Partners and investors want to feel comfortable about our hosting cost projections. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Estimating Hosting Costs before the site has been designed.
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I may be missing what you mean in this regard, so what do you mean by "hosting costs" ?  If it means what I think it means, this is likely something you should ask hosting companies for help with.  In general you would pay a fixed annual price for a fixed amount of server space (up to getting dedicated servers) with whatever features/support come with the package deal.  A hosting company is more likely to be aware of what your needs would be for sites such as you mention.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Estimating Hosting Costs before the site has been designed.
            Drewmister Level 1

I agree Ned, but the problem is that hosting companies don't seem to be able to give me the information I want because they can't reveal another companies private information. I have asked hosting companies if they have similar sites running on their servers and if so what are their costs. So far I haven't received any usable answers.

Also hosting companies have a vested interest in estimating a lower cost so you are more likely to buy.

• 3. Re: Estimating Hosting Costs before the site has been designed.
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then maybe you should ask the companies you named.  It is higly unlikely anyone here has access to give you better information than what a hosting company can provide.  And hosting costs vary from host to host.  I would guess that if you can give a hosting company some real numbers as to your usage needs, then they can quote you a price they can stand by.

The bottom line is, this is not a Flash question, it isn't even an Adobe product-related question.  So you are better off trying to find applicable resources for the information you seek.