4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 12:08 PM by llaferte

Reproducing MP4 Files to match other MP4s

llaferte Level 1

I have been asked to reproduce video clips to "match" clips already existing.  How do I do this?  This is probably more of an Encoder question but could not find a specific forum for that.  Here is what I need to try and match:

MP4.gif

We do not know what Codec was used to produce these files.  Is this screen shot legible? is it too small?

• 1. Re: Reproducing MP4 Files to match other MP4s
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You cannot encode AVC from AE. Would be pretty pointless, anyways. I fail to see what you or your client hope to achieve with that that couldn't be done with conventional intermediate CoDecs...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Reproducing MP4 Files to match other MP4s
            llaferte Level 1

I have been put in an awkward situation where my boss is saying "do what ever the client wants."  I am not sure the client really knows what they are talking about, but I'm not a whole lot more knowledgeable.  And everything is a RUSH today. 

Would you suggest I output the AE files as AVI's and then use another application (Sorenson Sqz) to produce the MP4s.  This is all very new to me and I have not gotten my head around the best AE work flow or best practices.  How should I "Match" the settings in the new files to the existing files.  I've being tasked with editing a few files from many hundreds and masking the faces of certain people (in a classroom).  What started as a "Oh this will be quick and easy task" has grown as new information slowly trickles to the surface.

I appreciate any help I can get.

• 3. Re: Reproducing MP4 Files to match other MP4s
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can produce perfect H.264 from AE directly, so if the client insists on some MP4 format, use that. otehrwise stick with Quicktime using the Animation or PNG CoDec. if the file is supposed to end up in a specific editing system, using its CoDecs will facilitate import (Avid CoDecs for instance), but most of them will gladly import TIF, TGA and JPEG sequences while still being able to play them in realtime without conforming them to the edit suite's internal CoDecs via a timeline render. Without more specific info this is realyl impossible to tell exactly.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Reproducing MP4 Files to match other MP4s
                llaferte Level 1

This is very helpful.  Let me run with this a bit and see what I can do with the information.  Thank you.