10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2007 3:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

how director is better then flash

farhanakhan Level 1
      hi
      i m the user director but on some point i m so much confuse about the director

i really feel comfort and relax in director..i can easily develop the application in the director ..but .when y u work in director y u are not work in flash...flash also can do all ... at this time I have no proper and satisfy answer to give the prove them all....

Tell me guys
      Y director is good....
      What r the difference b/w director and flash?
      How can I satisfy them technically?
      I know that flash good software but I wana know that point which make the director better then flash.
      What are these points?
      Soon im going to conduct the seminer..here people think director is not good software ..they think is so much difficult ..
      So I wana tell them about the director. is good software…y
      Plz reply me

Thx a lot

Regard
      farhana khan

• 1. Re: how director is better then flash
          Level 7
          Director's image manipulation capabilities far exceeds flashes. While
          Flashes vector based graphics ability is better than Director, there are
          incredible uses for imaging lingo. Searching this forum and the web will
          show many examples. Directors 3D capabilities is another strong point.

Those are probably the two biggest strengths, although others may provide
          additional information.

• 2. Re: how director is better then flash
            Level 7
            Director is much better organized for large projects.

"Dave C" <private@email.com> wrote in message
            news:f8frr9$8gs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Director's image manipulation capabilities far exceeds flashes. While
            > Flashes vector based graphics ability is better than Director, there are
            > incredible uses for imaging lingo. Searching this forum and the web will
            > show many examples. Directors 3D capabilities is another strong point.
            >
            > Those are probably the two biggest strengths, although others may provide
            > additional information.
            >

• 3. Re: how director is better then flash
              Level 7
              Good info in the answers provided here. Also look at the answers (including mine)
              in the Director Basics forum.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 4. Re: how director is better then flash
                Level 7
                Not to bash Director, I love Director - but Flash has pretty much the same
                imaging capabilities as Director. Maybe even better since Flash has all the
                filters like shadows, blurs, glows, etc. that Director does not. Though you
                can get to the Flash filters from Director now. Same guy (Werner Sharp) did
                the imaging stuff in Director and Flash.

--
                Dave -
                Head Developer
                http://www.blurredistinction.com
                Adobe Community Expert
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: how director is better then flash
                  Level 7
                  Director was created for building stand-alone apps.
                  Flash was built to enhance web pages.

No matter how much both (especially flash) these programs have evolved, they
                  still are doing best what they were created to do.
                  Director with it's open architecture (see Xtras) can have extended access to
                  the os.
                  With Flash, you have to work with what mm/adobe is offering - and, in the
                  latest versions, that's much more than most projects will require.

Director is usually faster than flash, due to it's design.
                  I'd guess that Flash is easier to port to various OSs because of it's
                  control-dependent nature.

Flash is sure heading to the right direction.
                  As for Director.. It still is a great program for rapid application
                  developing, and with adequate performance - which can be excellent, if cpu
                  demanding code is transferred from lingo to Xtra calls.

So, the question should probably be Director vs VB or something instead of
                  vs Flash.
                  Far as I am concerned, mm, after version 8.5, took the wrong turn, and
                  instead of expanding director towards application development, or enhancing
                  it's 3D capabilities, it just created a new interface, added javascript
                  support -good step, but a bit out of the blue- and buried mus, which was a
                  valuable tool for network gaming.

Imagine if Director had all the features needed to create professional
                  applications.. Why not? It's fast, stable, easy and expandable. Is it maybe
                  time to leave aesthetics and animations to Flash, and start turning director
                  to a pro-app builder? Personally, I'm sure working on it.

"farhanakhan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:f8forl$59k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > hi
                  > i m the user director but on some point i m so much confuse about the
                  > director
                  >
                  > i really feel comfort and relax in director..i can easily develop the
                  > application in the director ..but .when y u work in director y u are not
                  > work
                  > in flash...flash also can do all ... at this time I have no proper and
                  > satisfy
                  > answer to give the prove them all....
                  >
                  > Tell me guys
                  > Y director is good....
                  > What r the difference b/w director and flash?
                  > How can I satisfy them technically?
                  > I know that flash good software but I wana know that point which make the
                  > director better then flash.
                  > What are these points?
                  > Soon im going to conduct the seminer..here people think director is not
                  > good
                  > software ..they think is so much difficult ..
                  > So I wana tell them about the director. is good software?y
                  > Plz reply me
                  >
                  >
                  > Thx a lot
                  >
                  > Regard
                  > farhana khan
                  >
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: how director is better then flash
                    Level 7
                    -> My reply at the bottom...

"alchemist" <unknown@domain.com> wrote in message
                    news:f8l21t$c1v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Director was created for building stand-alone apps.
                    > Flash was built to enhance web pages.
                    >
                    > No matter how much both (especially flash) these programs have evolved,
                    > they still are doing best what they were created to do.
                    > Director with it's open architecture (see Xtras) can have extended access
                    > to the os.
                    > With Flash, you have to work with what mm/adobe is offering - and, in the
                    > latest versions, that's much more than most projects will require.
                    >
                    > Director is usually faster than flash, due to it's design.
                    > I'd guess that Flash is easier to port to various OSs because of it's
                    > control-dependent nature.
                    >
                    > Flash is sure heading to the right direction.
                    > As for Director.. It still is a great program for rapid application
                    > developing, and with adequate performance - which can be excellent, if cpu
                    > demanding code is transferred from lingo to Xtra calls.
                    >
                    > So, the question should probably be Director vs VB or something instead of
                    > vs Flash.
                    > Far as I am concerned, mm, after version 8.5, took the wrong turn, and
                    > instead of expanding director towards application development, or
                    > enhancing it's 3D capabilities, it just created a new interface, added
                    > javascript support -good step, but a bit out of the blue- and buried mus,
                    > which was a valuable tool for network gaming.
                    >
                    > Imagine if Director had all the features needed to create professional
                    > applications.. Why not? It's fast, stable, easy and expandable. Is it
                    > maybe time to leave aesthetics and animations to Flash, and start turning
                    > director to a pro-app builder? Personally, I'm sure working on it.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > "farhanakhan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    > news:f8forl$59k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> hi
                    >> i m the user director but on some point i m so much confuse about the
                    >> director
                    >>
                    >> i really feel comfort and relax in director..i can easily develop the
                    >> application in the director ..but .when y u work in director y u are not
                    >> work
                    >> in flash...flash also can do all ... at this time I have no proper and
                    >> satisfy
                    >> answer to give the prove them all....
                    >>
                    >> Tell me guys
                    >> Y director is good....
                    >> What r the difference b/w director and flash?
                    >> How can I satisfy them technically?
                    >> I know that flash good software but I wana know that point which make the
                    >> director better then flash.
                    >> What are these points?
                    >> Soon im going to conduct the seminer..here people think director is not
                    >> good
                    >> software ..they think is so much difficult ..
                    >> So I wana tell them about the director. is good software?y
                    >> Plz reply me
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> Thx a lot
                    >>
                    >> Regard
                    >> farhana khan
                    >>
                    >>
                    >>

Hi Alchemist,
                    thats a very good point you make, and I agree totally. I also use Director
                    mostly for prototyping new applications and demo-stuff.

What seems to be happening with Director and Flash is that they are more
                    alike with every new release. It is getting harder and harder to explain
                    what the difference is to non-users, and that is a bad bad sign.
                    I still suspect MM/Adobe would like to make it 1 product that is both Flash
                    and Director, and I still think that is the wrong decision.

Anyway... I hope for the best, and keep using the old versions as long as
                    possible.

Richard

• 7. Re: how director is better then flash
                      Level 7
                      If you want to feed your family and pay your bills, learn Flash. Director
                      has almost no demand. I watch the ads locally and in one of the largest
                      cities in the US, there have been maybe 2 Director jobs so far this year.
                      There are more than that per day for Flash or Actionscript jobs. At my job I
                      do both, I had to learn Flash quick when the previous Flash person left but
                      I have picked up most of the projects at this point. So now, using Flash for
                      about 1 year and Director for 10, there are still things I like about
                      Director better, but heck Adobe/MM has been pouring resouces into Flash and
                      not so much for Director.

• 8. Re: how director is better then flash
                        Ex Malterra Level 1
                        director has been my app of choice for years, but as has been stated, there's little demand for director developers. where i live, the norfolk va area, i've not seen any jobs for over a year. i'm an actionscript programmer now. director is great for interaction with the os; reading/writing files and the like. it's still the best for 3d on the web imho, especially cost wise. i've found that since director can host flash content that i've adopted a hybrid approach more often than not with a flash gui, flash data connectivity/xml parsing and director doing the "heavy lifting".
                        • 9. Re: how director is better then flash
                          Level 7
                          > What seems to be happening with Director and Flash is that they are more
                          > alike with every new release. It is getting harder and harder to explain
                          > what the difference is to non-users, and that is a bad bad sign.

Hmm.. Well, maybe it's time to explain what I meant by 'I'm working on it'.
                          I sure am not adobe, or mm, but I'd bet that most of the regular list
                          members care about Director more than anyone at any company.
                          A couple years back, shortly after mus got discontinued to be more precise,
                          and by not finding any descent networking Xtra, I started building one. The
                          initial goal was to build a socket Xtra that could transfer binary strings.
                          But soon as I got the hang of it, I started adding all the stuff of my
                          personal Director wish list that came to mind. And the Xtra evolved beyond
                          and initial expectation - and timeline for that matter.
                          The 'official' announcement talked about unicode. But that was just the
                          first object revealed.
                          The Xtra includes objects (strings, lists, date, image...) that are both
                          faster and more flexible than their Director's equivalents, well as new
                          objects that aim to include all that windows/c++ has to offer for their
                          field (socket, services, file/shell...).
                          It has been a long and mostly lonely journey...
                          You can visit http://xtrema.rtr.gr/cDown/ to get an idea.
                          Now that the core is finished, all experimental objects are updated and
                          added to the pack. The idea is, soon as certain base objects are completed,
                          to produce some freeware apps for advanced tasks (like managing services),
                          in an attempt to give Director back it's good name. I guess that at the
                          time, I'll make a call to any director developer that wishes to participate
                          in such a project to lend a hand (gui / suggestions etc).
                          Don't forget: If it can be done with c++, it can be done must faster, and
                          with far less debugging, in Director. Long as you can call c++ routines that
                          will give you access to the system functions that is (aka Xtras).
                          As a pro app builder, I find Director to have just one drawback. No
                          multithreading support for lingo scripts. Any number of threads can work on
                          the background (like e.g. getNetText), but there will be bottlenecking when
                          it comes to callbacks. So, building a director based enterprise server is
                          out of the question. But building a game or mid-business server capable of
                          hosting thousands of clients isn't.

Regards,
                          Harris.

"LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                          news:f8lj41$3gs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >-> My reply at the bottom...
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > "alchemist" <unknown@domain.com> wrote in message
                          > news:f8l21t$c1v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> Director was created for building stand-alone apps.
                          >> Flash was built to enhance web pages.
                          >>
                          >> No matter how much both (especially flash) these programs have evolved,
                          >> they still are doing best what they were created to do.
                          >> Director with it's open architecture (see Xtras) can have extended access
                          >> to the os.
                          >> With Flash, you have to work with what mm/adobe is offering - and, in the
                          >> latest versions, that's much more than most projects will require.
                          >>
                          >> Director is usually faster than flash, due to it's design.
                          >> I'd guess that Flash is easier to port to various OSs because of it's
                          >> control-dependent nature.
                          >>
                          >> Flash is sure heading to the right direction.
                          >> As for Director.. It still is a great program for rapid application
                          >> developing, and with adequate performance - which can be excellent, if
                          >> cpu demanding code is transferred from lingo to Xtra calls.
                          >>
                          >> So, the question should probably be Director vs VB or something instead
                          >> of vs Flash.
                          >> Far as I am concerned, mm, after version 8.5, took the wrong turn, and
                          >> instead of expanding director towards application development, or
                          >> enhancing it's 3D capabilities, it just created a new interface, added
                          >> javascript support -good step, but a bit out of the blue- and buried mus,
                          >> which was a valuable tool for network gaming.
                          >>
                          >> Imagine if Director had all the features needed to create professional
                          >> applications.. Why not? It's fast, stable, easy and expandable. Is it
                          >> maybe time to leave aesthetics and animations to Flash, and start turning
                          >> director to a pro-app builder? Personally, I'm sure working on it.
                          >>
                          >>
                          >>
                          >> "farhanakhan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          >> news:f8forl$59k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >>> hi
                          >>> i m the user director but on some point i m so much confuse about the
                          >>> director
                          >>>
                          >>> i really feel comfort and relax in director..i can easily develop the
                          >>> application in the director ..but .when y u work in director y u are
                          >>> not work
                          >>> in flash...flash also can do all ... at this time I have no proper and
                          >>> satisfy
                          >>> answer to give the prove them all....
                          >>>
                          >>> Tell me guys
                          >>> Y director is good....
                          >>> What r the difference b/w director and flash?
                          >>> How can I satisfy them technically?
                          >>> I know that flash good software but I wana know that point which make
                          >>> the
                          >>> director better then flash.
                          >>> What are these points?
                          >>> Soon im going to conduct the seminer..here people think director is not
                          >>> good
                          >>> software ..they think is so much difficult ..
                          >>> So I wana tell them about the director. is good software?y
                          >>> Plz reply me
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>> Thx a lot
                          >>>
                          >>> Regard
                          >>> farhana khan
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          >
                          > Hi Alchemist,
                          > thats a very good point you make, and I agree totally. I also use Director
                          > mostly for prototyping new applications and demo-stuff.
                          >
                          > What seems to be happening with Director and Flash is that they are more
                          > alike with every new release. It is getting harder and harder to explain
                          > what the difference is to non-users, and that is a bad bad sign.
                          > I still suspect MM/Adobe would like to make it 1 product that is both
                          > Flash and Director, and I still think that is the wrong decision.
                          >
                          > Anyway... I hope for the best, and keep using the old versions as long as
                          > possible.
                          >
                          > Richard
                          >

• 10. Re: how director is better then flash
                            Level 7
                            alchemist wrote:

> A couple years back, shortly after mus got discontinued to be more precise,
                            > and by not finding any descent networking Xtra, I started building one. The
                            > initial goal was to build a socket Xtra that could transfer binary strings.
                            > But soon as I got the hang of it, I started adding all the stuff of my
                            > personal Director wish list that came to mind. And the Xtra evolved beyond
                            > and initial expectation ....

Hi Harris,

I wish you all the best with your Xtra. If you'd like to email me directly
                            (d.utian@unsw.edu.au), I can help with links from my various sites. And will see
                            what else I can do to support your endevours.

regards
                            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au