4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 12:06 PM by bonhomie1512

Canon T1i video importing problem

btrippy

Hi folks. I'm trying to import Canon T1i clips into PP CS5, but it either doesn't want to add audio, or it puts it in Audio track 4. My Canon 1Dm4 does not do this. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Brian

• 1. Re: Canon T1i video importing problem
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          ...it either doesn't want to add audio, or it puts it in Audio track 4.

So, which one is it? If it's the former, it's probably an unsupported codec, but if it's the latter, it's because of the channel mappings. The audio in the clip is either mono or stereo, and the first three audio tracks in the sequence are the opposite, so Premiere creates a new track that matches the mapping of the source clip. Note the little speaker icons in the track headers; one speaker is a mono track, two speakers means stereo.

• 2. Re: Canon T1i video importing problem
            btrippy Level 1

It is the former, thank you.  Didn't realize that the 1dm4 was stereo, and the t1i was mono.  Still though, if I click on the insert or overlay button in the source window, it only imports the video.  I have to drag the video from the source to the timeline.  This works the same if I drag from the project panel.  Any ideas on that?

• 3. Re: Canon T1i video importing problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To expand on Colin's comment, if you just add a Mono Track to the Sequence, you should now be able to edit, as you wish. As PrPro must create the proper Track, my guess is that certain ways of migrating the Clip to the Timeline might not allow for that to happen.

You can also set up a "default Sequence," so that you always have X Mono Tracks, Y Stereo Tracks, and Z 5.1 Tracks, if needed. My default Sequence is 2 Mono, 4 Stereo and a 5.1 Master.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Canon T1i video importing problem
                bonhomie1512 Level 1

Hi btrippy,

You can check the media information whether it is stereo or mono and some other information through media info software.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Check as per Windows or Mac.

If windows check the file system 32 bit or 64 bit as per your system and then you need to select the GUI v0.7.34 (without installer)

Download and install the software and then import one of your video clips and then click on VIEW menu and then select TREE to check the information.

Vinay