11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 8:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I would like to know if there is a way to export just a sound file from Premiere Elements 8.

I don't have any other software that will change the speed of a sound file while maintaining the pitch.

Or does anyone know of a free sound editing program that will do that (it's called compandering or something like that), I'm using creative wave studio 7 at present.

So I would like to adjust the speed of the file use it to lip-sync with an animation and then bring it back into Premiere as one piece.

Any help appreciated!

Mike

• 1. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

You certainly can Export/Share just the Audio. I'd choose AVI, then Export Audio, unchecking Export Video. Choose PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and direct and name that file. The WAV should Import to almost any Audio-editing program.

For a free audio-editor, look at Audacity. It takes VST's (be sure to read the help files, so that your installation will accept and use VST's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the response.

I got as far as selecting, AVI, then Advanced, I unclicked Export Video, leaving Export Audio checked.

It is set to 48000 Hz, and 16 bit stereo.

But I don't see anyplace to tell it to export a .wav file.

The format window shows Uncompressed Microsoft AVI and is grayed out.

I named the file "My Audio Test File" and selected a folder to save it in.

I can change the preset at this point but none of them are a audio format.

When I hit save it says it has saved but when I look in the folder there is no file there. Just all the folders that Premiere creates.

Where do I go from here?

Note: I only have a wave file loaded in Premiere Elements there is no video file.

I'm thinking that I may be able to do the animation lipsync at a different speed, and change the whole thing once I get it in here but I would like to change the voice file to the correct speed first if I can.  If I can make the audio run the correct length it would be easier.

Mike

• 3. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
              Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I downloaded Audacity, I'm not sure I get it, I opened a wav file in it but all of the controls and menus are grayed out.

It plays it but I can't do anything with it.

I'm not sure that it is compatible with Windows 7, they are still talking about a Vista version coming on their web page. LOL

Mike

• 4. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I cannot help with PrE 8. Now, PCM/WAV is Uncompressed, so that does not need to be changed.

Back in PrE 4, before all Export functions were moved to Share, there was an Export Audio in File>Export. Not sure if it, along with Title and Still Frame, was left behind in File>Export, but you might want to check there, just in case.

Good luck, and I'm sure that Neale, Steve, or others can point you right to it in PrE 8.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the Export Audio section from the PrE 4 Help Files.

I would suggest that you look in Help for PrE 8, to see where things have moved to. You can choose Search, and type in "export audio."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                    Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

I have Premiere Elements 3, I just updated to 8 recently.

If I don't get anywhere with 8 I may reinstall it as well and see if I can use it just for the audio editing.

None of the audio editing programs I have looked at seem to do what I need and Premiere does.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

• 7. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                      Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Again, I looked at File Explort, and it is always grayed out in PE8.

I tried loading several different video files but it stayed that way.

I will reinstall PE3 and give that a try.

Mike

• 8. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

My last post on this, I did install PE3 and it does have a working export audio application.

I tried it and it worked, I'm getting a little reverb though, I never noticed that before when I was changing the speed of a complete clip.

Anyway it does work.

Mike

• 9. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                          nealeh Level 5

In PRE8 Adobe moved most of the export features to the Share tab. Take a look at the 'Export only audio' paragraph here: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 * Sharing for PC playback

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

Ok, I finally get it.

The problem was that I never scrolled down far enough to find the selection "Use for exporting audio"!

Once I found that it worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 11. Re: Can I export a sound file from Premiere Elements 8?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news.

The moving of the vast majority of the old Export functions to Share has tripped up many. Because many are still on PrE 7, earlier, I still mention "Export/Share." For PrE 7, and earlier, many operations are under File>Export. As of PrE 8, most are now in the Share tab, and little is left in File>Export - still frames and Titles are about all that is left there. I understand why Adobe made the move, but were I designing the interface, I would have placed one more option in File>Export, and it would have been a direct link to the Share tab. In PrPro, all is called Export (like with most other NLE's), and the term "Share" can be counterintuitive for many, especially if they spend much time in other programs.*

Glad that you found the Export for just the Audio file.

Good luck,

Hunt

* In some NLE's, "Export" is also referred to as "Render," which is a totally different function in Adobe programs. Another term that i soften used, is "Output," which comes closer to "Export," at least in my lexicon.