2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 4:41 PM by pwillener

Annoyed by Adobe Reader

PJ70

All users that i know are annoyed by the fact that adobe reader installs itself into a system and checks for updates.

Even more annoying and arrogant is the fact that after each update the developers have decided that a desktop icon should be created.

Isnt it enough for reader to check for updates when its lauched? Do we really need every piece of software running it own update managers in the background or our pcs. Does it really need a shorcut on the desktop.

If there was a decent open source alternative to pdf ive no doubt admins would dump this software from their desktops in a heartbeat

• 1. Re: Annoyed by Adobe Reader
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is a User to User forum. If you have a suggestion to Adobe, here would be the appropriate place: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It is odd that you complain bitterly about free software. There are open source programs that can view pdf files. I guess they must by definition not be decent. There are alternatives, some of which are free, not all are open source though. Please search the web to find them. Some are viewed quite favorably. They do not have all the features that Reader does, but they are quite respectable if all you want to do is view pdf files.

• 2. Re: Annoyed by Adobe Reader
            pwillener Level 8

PJ70 wrote:

All users that i know are annoyed by the fact that adobe reader installs itself into a system ...

I have never heard of such a thing; all users I know have installed Adobe Reader by themselves or their administrators.  Software that installs itself is usually malware, and I doubt if Adobe Reader falls under that category.

All other issues can be disabled or configured by the users to suit their needs.