2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2010 4:23 PM by TheDollarBill

Local Sandbox vs. ExternalInterface

TheDollarBill Level 1

So I wrote a CS4 Illustrator plugin that loads a SWF as its user interface.  Works great on the mac, but I am having a problem on Windows:

The .swf needs to be compiled with the "-use-network=false" option set in order to access some files on the local machine.  HOWEVER when that option is set, all of my "Externalinterface" calls break down.  When "-use-network=false" is not set, then I can't access the local files, BUT my "externalinterface" calls (which communicate with the plug-in) work just fine.

The SUPER frustrating part is that

A) it works fine on the mac, and

B) on window, I don't even need to set the "-use-network=false" option for the swf to access the files IF the .swf is loaded in explorer.

I'm not sure if using AIR is possible, but I'm trying that next since AIR can access both local and network files without all the sand box hokey-pokey.

Also CS5 is not an option for me for this project.

Anyone got anything for me on this!?

• 1. Re: Local Sandbox vs. ExternalInterface
          flexillu10 Level 1

Why don't you try getting apache and storing the files you need on your local server? That should work shouldn't it?

On another note, i am also interested in writing a plug in for illustrator. Can you give me some idiots guide advice?

How much coding is done in air? and how much is done using the illustrator sdk? Is it possible to use the sdk with a simple air app that opens an illustrator file?

• 2. Re: Local Sandbox vs. ExternalInterface
            TheDollarBill Level 1

Okay, So despite all the forums that say to include the "-use-network=false" option.  I ended up solving the problem by not using it and adding a .cfg file to the trusted files folder for my windows system.  Now, I could have sworn I tried this earlier, but maybe I didn't do it with the right combination of other options.  Also the path in the .cfg is to a .sfw.  Not a path to a folder containing a .swf.

As far as the guide to the illustrator sdk, they made that thing pretty hard for idiots to understand.  My only advice is to work through their samples.  Ask a lot of questions to people who know.  Be patient.  Be very patient, because that sdk is a jungle.  It will take a bit of learning, but once you get the hang of it it gets easier and easier.  Sorry that's not a easy answer you want, but i've spent years in that SDK and as you can see I still need to ask questions.

-Bill