4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2010 8:27 AM by Parklife444

Regular (not art) brush "ghost" cursor rotation

Parklife444 Level 1

This feature has actually been requested and discussed elsewhere in the Photoshop forums, but it's worth mentioning again, one, and two, I don't think it's utility has been fully explained.

Chris Cox, who works for Adobe, explained that OS mouse cursor limitations make this feature dififcult to impliment properly. I don't understand the issue well enough to comment, but I can't see why the OPTION shouldn't exist (even if it slows the cursor dramatically).

I frequently use custom brushes for texture and collage work (say, ink splatter brushes or leaves or whatever). You can get a lot more life out of a brush if it can be rotated, so that the textures don't look repetitive.

But here's the key thing -- it's VERY important that you can see the angle of the brush -- a leaf, say, may have a rounded bottom and pointy tips. If you're using it as an eraser to create a jagged edge, for example, you need to know that the pointy tip is facing the correct side. Doing this blind is obviously a chore. What's more, the cursor doesn't need to be especially responsive as I'm basically just stamping with the brush, rather than fluidly painting with it.

I have to imagine that the already existing OpenGL support could help greatly here. I mean, if realtime canvas rotation is possible, rotation a cursor ghost shouldn't be THAT hard, right?

P.S. Corel Painter doesn't exactly do this well either (with custom "capture dabs"), so the feature would be an way for Photoshop to jump further ahead.

• 1. Re: Regular (not art) brush "ghost" cursor rotation
          Level 7

The cursor does need to be responsive, for tablets that offer pen rotation control.

But we'll keep working on our brush cursors.

• 2. Re: Regular (not art) brush "ghost" cursor rotation
            Parklife444 Level 1

Thanks for the response -- I agree that in general responsiveness does matter. What I was saying is that if cursor lag is an insurmountable problem, leaving it as an option would still be helpful as there are many times when even a sluggish (but accurate) cursor ghost would be of immense help.

You could also come up with a hybrid solution. Create a static brush cursor outline (as exists now), but create an option to superimpose an arrow over it that indicates rotation direction. While not perfect, I imagine my brain would grow used to it pretty quickly.

I realize that these features are harder to impliment than they sound, and that Photoshop's primary audience is Photographers, not painters, so I appreciate Adobe's willingness to at least consider the feature.

• 3. Re: Regular (not art) brush "ghost" cursor rotation
              Level 7

I realize that these features are harder to impliment than they sound, and that Photoshop's primary audience is Photographers, not painters, so I appreciate Adobe's willingness to at least consider the feature.

We don't have a "primary" audience as such.

Illustrators, 3D texture artists, concept artists, comic artists, etc. all use Photoshop extensively.  And we try to meet their needs as well.

• 4. Re: Regular (not art) brush "ghost" cursor rotation
                Parklife444 Level 1

Fair enough Obviously the realistic bristle brushes suggest as much (they also suggest some fancy brush cursor ghosting is possible).