12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 8:35 AM by flexillu10

What can i use Data/Services for?

flexillu10 Level 1

I have a datagrid displaying data from my database and i can get access to whichever data item i want.

What i want to do is use data from the database without creating a data grid, how can i do that?

e.g displaying a text field from the database in a textbox, how would i do this without calling datagrid.selecteditem...?

• 1. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
          Balakrishnan V Level 3

You can store the results of a service invocation as an arraycollection of records and access items from within the arraycollection.

Does this answer your query ?

Balakrishnan V

• 2. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
            flexillu10 Level 1

Balakrishnan V wrote:

You can store the results of a service invocation as an arraycollection of records and access items from within the arraycollection.

Does this answer your query ?

Balakrishnan V

Yes this is what i was looking for, could you give me some example code? And where would i put this code? in the first windowed application tag?

• 3. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
              Prestine

Hello,

You can create a Singleton Class and declare one variable in this class, which will contain/hold the results of a service invocation.

You can use this variable whereever  you want in the whole Application.

Regards,

• 4. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                flexillu10 Level 1

Prestine wrote:

Hello,

You can create a Singleton Class and declare one variable in this class, which will contain/hold the results of a service invocation.

You can use this variable whereever  you want in the whole Application.

Regards,

what type of variable? an array? or arrayCollection? can you give me some example code

• 5. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                  Balakrishnan V Level 3

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:WindowedApplication xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx" creationComplete="windowedapplication1_creationCompleteHandler(event)">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

import mx.events.FlexEvent;

import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

[Bindable] private var resultData:ArrayCollection=new ArrayCollection()

protected function windowedapplication1_creationCompleteHandler(event:FlexEvent):void

{

// TODO Auto-generated method stub

myHTTPService.send()

}

protected function myHTTPService_resultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void

{

// TODO Auto-generated method stub

resultData=event.result as ArrayCollection;

// resultData=myHTTPService.lastResult as ArrayCollection

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<fx:Declarations>

<!-- Place non-visual elements (e.g., services, value objects) here -->

<s:HTTPService id="myHTTPService" result="myHTTPService_resultHandler(event)"

url=""/>

</fx:Declarations>

</s:WindowedApplication>

Hope this helps,
                  Balakrishnan V

• 6. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                    Balakrishnan V Level 3

And .. why should there be a singleton class and not a simple ArrayCollection ?

• 7. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                      flexillu10 Level 1

ok thanks a lot that does help. But can i just check

My applicaiton needs to be as follows

i have images stored at a http web address, i have a database storing the url's of the images. I want my air app to go to to the url, grab the image and open it with windows picture and fax viewer.

I have acheived this so far using a datagrid, i used flash builder data connect wizard to connect to the database, and it generated some services. I used the get all service and dragged it onto a datagrid. I then used whichever field i needed and was successful. However now i want to display the jpegs as clickable images so the user can click the image to open it instead of selecting one from the data grid.

Therefore i jsut need this get all service stored as an array collection don't i?

So thanks for the code, but it seems to use a http service, which i'm now not sure if i need

• 8. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                        Prestine Level 1

Depends, what kind of data is coming from the service side

• 9. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                          Prestine Level 1

If It is used in a single class/component then arraycollection is ok.

but if the arraycollection will be used in different components , then arraycollection has to be stored in Singleton Class and used whereever required...... right or wrong?

Thanks and Regards,

• 10. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                            flexillu10 Level 1

the data coming in will be text strings, i just want to use the text fields,

My question is:

how do i bind the service to an array or something else instead of binding it to a datagrid?

• 11. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                              Prestine Level 1

[Bindable]

private var str:String;

in the result method, you will use this code, to get the value return from the service end.

str   = event.result as String;

Use  str where ever you want.

Regards,

• 12. Re: What can i use Data/Services for?
                                flexillu10 Level 1

Hello,

Sorry but i have no idea how to generate a result handler for a service that i don't know how to call.

Before i just dragged the php service onto a datagrid, i just want to do the same but store it in an array, Please can you give me an "idiot's guide" for how i would do this