7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 8:54 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I continue?

PaulHir

I'm in the middle of creating a combination

video and slide presentation.  The videos and slides are

already added to the project and I'm attempting to add some sound clips to go along with the visuals. The last sound clip that I tried to add changed my cursor to, what looks like a bar and arrow with a red cross over it.  At the very bottom of the screen the following message appreared: " Drag edge to time stretch the selection, changing its speed to match the new duration"  I cut the sound clip but that did not help.

I've tried to apply the cursor to to both sound and visuals edges but it does not change and will not allow me to do anything more to the presentation.  Please help. . .what do I have to do to, once again, get a normal cursor, fix whatever is wrong and continue working on the project?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

• 1. Re: How do I continue?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

It sounds like you have gotten the Time Stretch Tool selected. Not sure if this works the same way in PrE, but in PrPro, you can hit the V key, to change from other Cursors to the Selection Tool, the little arrow. You might also be able to clear this if you go to Window>Reset Workspace. The Time Stretch can be accessed by clicking on the little "clock," or from the Toolbar at the top of the GUI.

In PrPro, one has a full Toolbox available, but my PrE 4 does not have that, and I do not know if it has been added in later versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum!

• 2. Re: How do I continue?
            PaulHir Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you for your help.  This was the first time that I've used Premiere

Elements and it has been quite a learning curve.  I think that I am over the

hump and well on the way to creating a combination slide and video show.

After a few hours of trying to clear the cursor problem with many restarts I

turned the program off and shut down the computer for the night.  This

morning the program ran as if nothing ever happened and I was able to

finish.

Thank you again,

Paul

• 3. Re: How do I continue?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Great news.

For a "quick start" with PrE, I strongly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training series, at Muvipix. Along with that, he also has a full Learning Series there, plus has written several very good books on PrE, including one on Tips & Tricks in PrE. I highly recommend his books. You will not find any better way to learn PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I continue?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Hunt!

One other advantage of buying my books over, say, the Dummies books -- is that I'm here and on the forum at http://Muvipix.com every day, so you can always ask me a question about anything you read in them!

• 5. Re: How do I continue?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Quick question: have you updated the combo PSE/PrE Version 7 book for a combo for Version 8? I know that you have some stand-alone PrE 8 books, but have not seen a new one for the "bundle." Maybe I just missed it in the "store."

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I continue?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Bill. There  is a combo Photo Elements/Premiere Elements for version 8 as well. Thanks for asking!

• 7. Re: How do I continue?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great! If it's half as good as the PrE 7 edition (and I feel confident that it is - knowing who put it together), I can freely recommend that edition to all with the bundle.

I still feel that your Muvipix books fill in the void of no manual, better than any that I have seen. That is why I so highly recommend them - just like Jeff Bellune's excellent Adobe Encore book. Might be a few others, that are good too, but I've yet to find any that meet the standards that you, and Jeff, have set.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt