8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 12:25 AM by MartMitch

Components for computer to run CS4

MartMitch

I would like to build a computer to run CS4

These are the parts I am considering:-

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3
      Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366)
      Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz Triple Channel
      Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
      OcUK Value GeForce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5
      Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
      OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
      Antec P183 Super Midi Tower Case

I prefer to use XP pro (?)

I would appreciate any advice/comments and better alternatives.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
          markerline Level 4

When it comes time for you to upgrade to a 64-bit edition of Premiere Pro (CS5 and beyond) you will want to be running a 64-bit OS such as Vista or Windows 7, not the 64-bit edition of XP because XP 64-bit doesn't support very much software and hardware.

• 2. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
            markerline Level 4

Starting with 32-bit XP and migrating to 64-bit Vista or Win7 will mean that you will not be able to transfer Program installations.  You will have to do a clean install with all of your software but your files will be able to transfer with Windows's Easy Transfer tool.

• 3. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Forget about Caviar Blue, go for Caviar Black or another fast disk.

2. Go for the 1 GB version ot the 460 if you want to profit from MPE in the future with CS5.

3. Go for Win 7 64 Pro.

4. Go for a BIG tower, not some midi model.

5. Check your PSU. 700W is pretty meager.

6. Consider upgrading memory to 12 GB.

• 4. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
                MartMitch Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions

I shall look at Caviar Black for HD

I thought that 700 watt PSU is adequate

• 5. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
                  Michael Scarn

Corsair AX850

NZXT HALE90 850W

Corsair HX850

Seasonic S12D 850W

XFX 850W

Seasonic X750

Corsair AX750

NZXT HALE90 750W

Corsair HX750

XFX 750W

Antec TruePower New 750W

Thermaltake XT 750

Corsair TX750

Enermax Modu87+ 700W

Seasonic X650

NZXT HALE90 650W

Thermaltake Grand 650W

Corsair HX650

For sake of price, I would probably grab the Corsair HX850. Any NZXT, Seasonic X, or Corsair AX are abolutely solid choices. The Enermax Modu87+ are just insane, but they are overpriced IMO. The Corsair AX850 and NZXT 850W are definitely overkill in combination with their price, where the Corsair HX850 would be perfect for its price. I have them ranked in their wattage classes with bottom being minimal and top being the best.

Depending on how crazily you are overclocking both the processor and graphics card, should determine what level of power supply you should get. Many top power supply makers like Seasonic will take a 850W power supply and slap a 750W sticker on it, for silver/gold efficiency certification. If for whatever unnatural reason your Seasonic X750 would be asked to supply 850W, it could do it. Under full load with a fully overclocked graphics card and processor, 550W-600W would be absolute maximium. Realistically, 450W.

Capacitor aging is a goofy subject, but isn't something you have to worry about with just about any of the power supplies I listed. Maybe the Corsair HX650 or Thermaltake Grand 650W if your case doesn't have sufficient cooling. The Corsair HX850, I think, is the best buy right now.

- Definitely jump up to 12GB of ram, and get 3x 4GB so you have room to upgrade to 24GB if funds allow in the future.

- I'd either upgrade that WD Blue to a Black, or just get another Samsung F3 (they are pretty darn cheap right now!)

- For a case, seeing as you are already near the $150 price point, I'd look into full tower cases. My favorite is the Lian Li A77F, but its damn expensive. Instead, I'd go for the A70F. It is really cheap for a full tower Lian Li case and has a very nice layout! Otherwise, depending on your hard drive usage, Cooler Master does have some cheaper full tower cases right now. The HAF 932 has great cooling and cable management, but not the greatest HDD layout (with respect to the number of usable drive bays). The Cooler Master ATCS 840 is a very popular case as well. The AZZA Solano 1000 is dirt cheap with a rebate on Newegg.com right now. Great layout, and is one of the smaller full tower cases you can get (I think my mid tower I have right now is bigger than that guy, Cooler Master RC 690)

- I'd upgrade that 460GTX to a 1GB, and keep your eyes out for a 470GTX as I have seems some crazy rebate deals on them lately.

- Also, I'd jump up to Windows 7 64-bit Professional. It operates just like XP so you aren't going to need to relearn the entire OS. Some things have changed, but mostly for the better I think. I was a long time XP user as well. Skipped Vista (thankfully) and jumped on Windows 7 shortly after its release. The upgrade has made my life a lot easier! Especially when reinstalling or working with drivers.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
                    MartMitch Level 1

Thank you for your advice

I am a senior citizen (OAP).

This is almost certainly the last computer I shall have.

Changing from XP to Win 7 has been a worry for me.

Your assessment of Windows 7 64-bit Professional as an experienced XP user is very helpful and I shall be installing Win 7.

I have always preferred full tower cases but now I have to compromise and settle for the Antec p183.

I am going for the WD Black.

Availability of PSUs in the UK is different to elsewhere.

Do you have any views/experience of motherboards?

In particular which is better the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R or ASUS Rampage III Extreme

• 7. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
                      Michael Scarn Level 1

I don't have much experience with Asus motherboards, and I've always had a perfect experience with Gigabyte boards. I've always used G Skill Ram with Gigabyte boards so I will stick with that personally for however long it works. You can't really go wrong with Asus or Gigabyte for the X58 platform. If you have some small issues with it, there are plenty of other people using the board to help you out.

I checked OCUK and for the price, I think the Antec TruePower New 750W would be perfect. There is a Seasonic M12D there too, but its much more expensive (and the Antec is basically that unit, literally).

Given the fact you are looking at UK shopping sources, the build looks good!
                      1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Components for computer to run CS4
                        MartMitch Level 1

I would prefer the Gigabyte board but my supplier only has the Asus.

I have upgraded to CORSAIR 750W PSU (TX750)

Thank you