22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2010 6:22 AM by John.Kordas

JS Display international characters

John.Kordas Level 1

I've recently posted a script that makes a font catalogue.  One of the comments I got was if it could display international characters Russian for example. Would anyone have any suggestion as to how I might go about this?  I've got a couple of changes I need to make to the script and it would be good to include this request as well.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: JS Display international characters
          Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Hey!

Make it work in InDesign CS5

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

• 2. Re: JS Display international characters
            John.Kordas Level 1

Hi tomaxxi

I've tried it in CS5 and it works fine.  The changes I need to make are for CS3.  So if it works in CS5 internationl characters are ok?

• 3. Re: JS Display international characters

When I start the script this error shows up:

error.jpg

I'm using Win7 64-bit / InDesign CS5 US English

--

tomaxxi

• 4. Re: JS Display international characters
                John.Kordas Level 1

That's strange I'll have to run some more trials on Monday again.

with(myDocument.documentPreferences){
                    pageHeight = "297mm";
                    pageWidth = "210mm";
                    //pageOrientation = PageOrientation.landscape;
                    //pagesPerDocument = 16;
                <---------------line 25.

Thanks again tomaxxi I'll look into this.

• 5. Re: JS Display international characters

Not problem.

This code works just fine.

Maybe try not to use with statement.

--

tomaxxi

• 6. Re: JS Display international characters
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

To insert any other character into Javascript strings than plain A..Z, you can always safely use Unicode notation. You need to look up the Unicode values of the characters you want to insert, but fortunately InDesign can help you with that: the Glyphs panel shows the Unicode value for any character if you hover the mouse over it, andyou can copy some text from the web, paste it into InDesign, then select each character in turn and check the Info panel.

Insert the Unicode values into your javascript string like this: "\u0000" where the zeros should be replaced with all four Unicode digits in hex notation (which is nothing more complicated than "that's exactly what InDesign is showing you in the Info panel").

For instance, "Jongware" appears on Russian web sites as something like this: Дзонгшаре

As a Javascript string this would be "\u0414\u0437\u043e\u043d\u0433\u0448\u0430\u0440\u0435".

• 7. Re: JS Display international characters
                      Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

For instance, "Jongware" appears on Russian web sites as something like this: Дзонгшаре

No, it should be either Джонгваре (transcription) or Джонгвэа (transliteration).

As to Unicode notation, theres no need to use it with CS3/4/5 — I just type text in Russian and it works perfectly. You have to add Russian in Input Menu (Mac) or in Languages and Regional Settings Panel (Windows) for this.

The only issue I know about are Submenus: never name them in Russian on Mac.

Kasyan

• 8. Re: JS Display international characters

Hi Kasyan! You are correct: I couldn't find my example anymore because I didn't recall in which discussion I was mentioned With your transcription I found it again -- "... а точнееп понять все то, что изложено на Джонгваре..."

• 9. Re: JS Display international characters
                          John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks Jongware and Kasyan,

I haven't been able to get to this until now but I've added Russian to my keyboard languages and then I type out Jongware I get Ощтпцфку.

If I've done this correct then the following code would determine that my default app language is Russian and use case 1279480437: correct?

switch (app.locale)
                          {
                          case 1279477102:
                            var myLetters = "Jongware";
                            break;
                          case 1279480437:
                            var myLetters = "Ощтпцфку";
                            break;
                          default:
                            var myLetters = "Jongware";
                          }

• 10. Re: JS Display international characters
                            Marc Autret Level 4

Hi John,

Just for your information, YALT is a free snippet to easily manage multilingual InDesign JS scripts. It autodetects the app.locale and allows you to provide a complete translation table. It supports Unicode notation and %N placeholders:

http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/YALT

@+

Marc

• 11. Re: JS Display international characters
                              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Hi John,

Here is a brief description how I make my multilingual scripts:

I add the following line to my start up script

app.locale = 'ru';

This makes English copy of InDesign use Russian locale (after restart of course) util the end of session.

Then I use the following syntax to make my messages in dialogs, alerts, etc. bilingual:

err(localize({en: 'No documents are open. Please open a document and try again.', ru: 'Не открыт ни один документ, откройте файл и попробуйте снова.'}));

You can also quickly (without restarting InDesign) change locale from ESTK by running app.locale = 'en'; either as one line script or type it in console and press Return/Enter — just use two letter code for the language you want to switch.

Regards,

Kasyan

• 12. Re: JS Display international characters
                                John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks Marc and Kaysan,

For some reason Kaysan I get an error message telling

Error Number: 30474

Error String: 'local' is a read only property.

Line:1

Source: app.locale='ru';

Marc I'm looking through your snippet as we speak, much appreciated to you both.

Cheers, John.

• 13. Re: JS Display international characters
                                  Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

John,

I am sorry — my memory let me down , it should have been:

$.locale = 'ru';

Kasyan

• 14. Re: JS Display international characters
                                    John.Kordas Level 1

Hi all,

OK I'm hoping this will work and it will mean I will only need to add one line and it should work for everyone.

Could anyone running ESTK with a language other than English please run this and tell me if they get the correct letters returned in the correct language?

alert(String.fromCharCode(65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,97,98,99,100,101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109,110,111,112,113,114,115,116,117,118,119,120,121,122,91,92,93,94,95,96,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64))

I get this.

Letters.jpg

Is there any reason why I should not take this approach?

Cheers, John.

• 15. Re: JS Display international characters

I've got the same result as your screen shot.

--

tomaxxi

• 16. Re: JS Display international characters
                                        Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Is there any reason why I should not take this approach?

Why don't you want to type Russian characters on the keyboard, or use Character Map (or similar) application to select and copy characters, and paste them into your alert messages? This  approach works for me for any language: English, Russian, Greece, etc., and for both Mac and PC. You don't have to change locale to display these characters and I am sure it should work for any language version of InDesign.

What happens if you run the following line?

alert("English Русский");

Do you see the second word in Russian?

Kasyan

• 17. Re: JS Display international characters

In any other language and/or script the dialog would look exactly the same -- the Unicode character set has fixed codes per letter, so value #65 will always give you an 'A'. Your script is totally equivalent to

alert ("ABCDEF..."etc etc");

This will show a selection of Greek and Cyrillic glyphs:

alert (String.fromCharCode('G'.charCodeAt(0), 58, 0x3b1, 0x3b2, 947, 948, 0x3c9, 47, 'R'.charCodeAt(0), 58, 0x420,0x443,0x441));

but it is (or should be) totally equivalent to

alert ("G:αβγδω/R:Рус");

regardless of your current locale setting.

• 18. Re: JS Display international characters
                                            John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks Kasyan and Jongware,

I was hoping that the Unicode approach might allow me to only have to enter one string of letter and not enter all languages.

But following Kasyan's example I was able to get both the Russian and Greek string to display so I think this will be the way forward.

Using this in my startup scripts

$.locale = 'ru';

The following code

var myLetters = (localize({
                                                en: 'ABCDESFGHIJKLMNOPQRTSUVWXYZ.....%^&*()',
                                                ru: 'ФИСВУАПРШОЛДЬТЩЗЙКЫЕГМЦЧНЯ......%:?*()',
                                                el: 'ΑΒΨΔΕΦΓΗΙΞΚΛΜΝΟΠ;ΡΣΤΘΩςΧΥΖ......%^&*()'
                                                }));
                                            alert(myLetters);

returns

Letters2.jpg

Cheers,

John.

• 19. Re: JS Display international characters

Поздравляем!

• 20. Re: JS Display international characters
                                                John.Kordas Level 1

Спасибо

Any suggestions on which languages to include.  Looking at my Character Map French and Italian look the same as English.

John.

• 21. Re: JS Display international characters

Although your working sample displays three different scripts (Latin; Greek; Cyrillic), it's of No Importance At All. It's the different languages that count.

So for French and Italian, you would add:

en: 'ABCDESFGHIJKLMNOPQRTSUVWXYZ.....%^&*()',
                                                      ru: 'ФИСВУАПРШОЛДЬТЩЗЙКЫЕГМЦЧНЯ......%:?*()',
                                                      el: 'ΑΒΨΔΕΦΓΗΙΞΚΛΜΝΟΠ;ΡΣΤΘΩςΧΥΖ......%^&*()',
                                                      fr:'Une message simple : ça marche!',
                                                      it:'Non ho idea di come dire qualcosa di utile in italiano'
                                                      }));

You appear to think your myLetters variable ought to hold the allowable set of characters per language. Well ... no. Translating something does not (ever, if I'm correct) amount to transposing each character into another.

Take, for example, the Greek word for Greece. The alternative English name Hellas comes from Ελλάδα, but if you would somehow translate it one character at a time, you get "Ellada".

You should think of myLetters as a message instead. Suppose your script may display an alert

alert ("Bad input. You'll have to start all over again!");

then you can make a list for this message alone:

var badInputMsg = (localise({

en:"Bad input. You'll have to start all over again!",

el:"Λάθος εισροών. Θα πρέπει να ξεκινήσει ξανά από την αρχή!",

es:"Entrada incorrecta. Vas a tener que empezar todo de nuevo!",

}));

etc., for every language you care to include, and for every message and text string you add to your script as well.

• 22. Re: JS Display international characters
                                                    John.Kordas Level 1

Thanks Jongware,

So instead of displaying all characers in the catalogue would this be better:

en: 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog \nABCDESFGHIJKLMNOPQRTSUVWXYZ.....%^&*()',
                                                        ru: 'быстрый булок, лентяй \nФИСВУАПРШОЛДЬТЩЗЙКЫЕГМЦЧНЯ......%:?*()',
                                                        el: 'Η σύσκεψη θα γίνει κατά τη διάρκεια της αλεπούς Lazy Dog \nΑΒΨΔΕΦΓΗΙΞΚΛΜΝΟΠ;ΡΣΤΘΩςΧΥΖ......%^&*()',
                                                        fr:'les sauts rapide renard brun sur le chien paresseux \nABCDESFGHIJKLMNOPQRTSUVWXYZ.....%^&*()',
                                                        it:'il mattino ha brown fox sul cane pigro \nABCDESFGHIJKLMNOPQRTSUVWXYZ.....%^&*()'
                                                        }));

Letters3.jpg