I am also experiencing this problem. I have seen the issue raised before in the forums but no solution has been offered. I am now removing the search box from the toolbar of my WebHelp projects and just using the search button on the toolbar to open the search panel.
I would be very interested is a solution is found.
Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one that has experienced this problem. Hopefully one of the community experts can provide a solution, since my boss will not be in favor of removing the Search Input box from the toolbar!
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter.
I already had substring search enabled when generating the WebHelp, but ran it again just to be sure. Same result.
I did see another post that mentioned "Add Mark of the Web" as the culprit, so I tried changing that and it seems to have resolved the problem when I look at the output on my computer, however, when I published it to a test location on our server it did not fix the problem there. Seems to confirm Rick's point that Add Mark of the Web only affects the local output, but yet I wonder why it resolved the problem on my locally generated copy. Is there a comparable action that can be taken at the server or browser level? (We do not use RoboHelp Server, btw.)
More on the problem description:
After entering the critera in the Search Input box and hitting the "Enter" key or clicking the "Go" button next to the Search Input box, the program enters the criteria plus the space in the search box in the navigation pane, but no results are found immediately. If I then hit "Enter" or click "Go" in the navigation pane, the application then performs the search correctly.
I know it may seem trivial, but the extra "click" that the user has to perform to get the search results is an issue for me. We upgraded to RH8 for the improved search capabilities, which for the most part have been a great improvement, but it seems that I may have to re-educate the users to hit "Enter" twice or click the "Go" button a second time, but only the first time that they perform a search from the Search Input box on the toolbar.
Thanks for all your help!
One of the first things I did try was another browser besides IE and I had the same result with FireFox and Google Chrome.
At first I thought you had hit it on the nose because I had turned off substring search previously, but the last time I generated webhelp, I had enabled it again. That's why I re-generated it again this morning to make sure that the setting was in effect and was not just changed in the generation dialog. Same result.
Since then I also tried changing some IE settings to see if that might make a difference, but have had no luck resolving.
Are there any manuals that cover the internal working of the program (logic)? I have not been able to find any. I'd love to know more about what makes this application tick.
Thanks again for taking the time to help, Peter. Have a good evening.
Hi Sheryl and Peter,
I have also tried the options as you have suggested without success. Everything works fine when the WebHelp is published to a local or network drive but when it is published to the server the issue occurs.
I would point out too, that I find that the problem with the space only occurs on the intial attempt to search using the Search Box. Any subsequent attempts without closing the browser appear to work fine.
1 person found this helpful
Now that I have access to a server I can see the problem with the first search during a browser session. You should report it as a bug.
The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Thanks, Peter, I will do that.
Stone Edge Technologies, Inc.
Save a Tech Support call - check out our online Knowledge Base!
Those are the identical symptoms that I have experienced. Hopefully you have seen Peter's last post and will report this as a bug, too. Thanks for the support from you and Peter!
Thanks everyone. I have now submitted a bug report.