9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 1:45 AM by eckelsteve1

Overlay edit erases other target tracks

eckelsteve1 Level 1

Why is it when I do an overlay edit and I happen to have some other target tracks on it will erase those other tracks?

Let me give you an example:  I am adding a 1 second sound effect to audio track 5.  If I happen to have any audio audio or video target tracks on, whatever is on those tracks will be deleted for 1 second.

It means that everytime I do an overlay edit, I have to make sure to first turn off all audio and video target tracks to ensure that existing material won't be erased, then turn on the target track(s) I need.  Yes I made a shortkey for that, but honestly, kinda clunky.

This is only for overlay editing, I am aware of the value of being able to select which tracks to remove when doing a lift or extraction.

Why in the world could anyone want this function?

• 1. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It means that everytime I do an overlay edit, I have to make sure to first turn off all audio and video target tracks to ensure that existing material won't be erased, then turn on the target track(s) I need.

Correct.

Or, you could just drag it down to the track you want it on.

• 2. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
            eckelsteve1 Level 1

"Or, you could just drag it down to the track you want it on."

Yes I know, that is really the optimum edting workflow for Prpro.  Occassionally I like it, other times I find it clunky.

For former Avid/FCP guys like me, it's hard to adjust.  Especially since the workflow I am accustomed to is so tantalizing close to being optimum in PrPro.

Here is what I would like in target track editing, which I will add to a feature request:

1.  Get rid of this crazy erase during overlay function.  Maybe the engineers lumped in with selective track when lifting, I don't know, but it serves no function except create panic, for me anyway, when I find chunks of my edit accidently deleted because I wasn't watching like a hawk which tracks I had on everytime I did an overlay.

2.  We have shortkeys for track toggling, hallelujah, I couldn't live with out it, especially since much of my editing is cutting & pasting between sequences.  BUT we need shortkeys for the actual video and audio selection so that when working with 10 tracks of audio I don't have to scroll down to find the track where the audio selector (is that what it's called?) is hiding and take it to the track I actually want the audio to be on.

3.  I don't know about windows, but on a mac I have to use the slider to go up and down tracks.  Boy, I would love to be able to scroll up and down the tracks with a mouse track wheel just I like I can do when I am looking for shots in a bin or scrolling on the web.  That may sound nitpicky, but it would make editing on PrPro an even more enjoyable experience than it already is.

• 3. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
              Jim_Simon Level 8

1. seems the proper functioning of the feature to me.

I won't argue with 2.

3. works if you hold the mouse pointer over the vertical scroll bar.  Otherwise by default it will scroll horizontally.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                eckelsteve1 Level 1

Thanks for the tip about scrolling, that's a big help.

Curious about 1. above, wasn't actually being rhetorical, would love to know how you use it.   Are there situations where you want to simultaneously overlay audio and/or video while deleting existing video/audio?  Have you done this?

• 5. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                  Pijetro Level 1

Yeah, i find that all these options are nice, but can get overbloated pretty fast.

It's as if every for every quick function (overlay, lift, cut etc.) needs a separate GUI function to suit.

Yes, when lifting, you need to uncheck the "Toggle sync lock" next to the eyeball, to avoid lifting other assets. IMO, this is overkill....

Once you get more assets to the timeline, it can get overbloated...

CS2 used to have a function, in where control>up arrow, would select the next video track up, and shift>control>down arrow, would start selecting audio tracks...

Otherwise, I love PPro.

Good luck...

• 6. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                    eckelsteve1 Level 1
                    Thanks for that.  I'm  quite happy with the lifting and extraction feature, which I use continually.  But I keep the sync lock on all the time, I find that I get into trouble if I don't.

But it's good to know that others like overlay the way it is, and I am glad I asked before submitting a feature request, which I will now narrow down to one simple request, which is an option for keyboard customization for Source Track Indicator.

BTW, in searching the forums, I found that shooternz  was equally frustrated with the erase function of overlay when track targeting first came out.  He refered to it as 'creates a hole'.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1740820#1740820

• 7. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I actually don't do a whole lot of overlaying.  I prefer the "Replace with Clip" feature for when I need to do something like that.

But I do understand why the feature works the way it does.  That's part of the whole point of being able to target multiple tracks now.

• 8. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                        shooternz Level 6
                        BTW, in searching the forums, I found that shooternz  was equally frustrated with the erase function of overlay when track targeting first came out.  He refered to it as 'creates a hole'.

I still get all sideways crossed up with track targeting on occasion.. but think that I have "adapted" my workflow largely around it.  In many ways..its more powerful than I need 99.8% of the time.

FWIW: I rely quite a lot on the fact that I have Toggled shortcut keys for all Video and Audio Tracks  ( 7  tracks of each)  and also I do like "Shift Clicking" to Target all or none)

• 9. Re: Overlay edit erases other target tracks
                          eckelsteve1 Level 1

I have created similar shortkeys for myself, targeting 9 audio tracks and 4 video tracks.  All we need now is shortkeys to assign the STI.

All the other NLE I have worked with since I switched from linear editing in the mid-nineties were target-track based.  But none of them made holes in existing material if I happened to leave a target track on.  They just overlayed audio and video to whatever track the STI was assigned to, and ignored whatever target tracks happened to be on.  Or there was no STI, just target tracks, and it was impossible to have more target tracks on then what was available in the source material.

I am actually going in the opposite direction and practicing more of what PrPro does best, which is dragging and dropping.