4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2010 8:03 AM by Steve Grisetti

Help!  I'm stuck on the Task Bar and I can't get up!

Ole Pa Level 1

I recently upgraded to Premiere Elements 8, and now I can start the program but as soon as I open a project the window minimizes to the task bar.  I can not restore the window to show-up on the screen.  The Organizer works OK, and the Adobe startup window show-up OK.  Even the Premiere Elements window will show-up while it's loading a project, but as soon as the project is loaded... it hides down on the task bar.  It was working fine just after I installed it.  It's been a couple of weeks since I ran it last.  I have installed the 8.0.1 update.  What a tease!

I've attached a couple of images of the program on the task bar just in case this helps.  My system is Window 7 Ultimate.  I have two 24" displays (both working fine), lots of memory and disk space, and it's a Dell XPS 9000 box.

Please let me know how to coax my beloved Premiere Elements out of hiding!

AdobePremierElements8onTaskBar2.png     AdobePremierElements8onTaskBar1.png

• 1. Re: Help!  I'm stuck on the Task Bar and I can't get up!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you using the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements?

Have you installed Premiere Elements on a drive other than your C drive? (That won't work.)

• 2. Re: Help!  I'm stuck on the Task Bar and I can't get up!
            filo4

This message not meant for filo4 please do not send again.

filo 4

• 3. Re: Help!  I'm stuck on the Task Bar and I can't get up!
              Ole Pa Level 1

Hi Steve -- Thanks for your quick response.  I do have the 64-bit version installed on the C drive as shown in the screen  snippet below. The reference to the D drive in my earlier post was to the Premiere project file, which I dont keep on my system drive.  You've also suggested that I update my video driver, which I confirmed was up to date (as per snapshot below).

AdobePremierElements8onTaskBar3.png   AdobePremierElements8onTaskBar4.png

You questions got me poking however, and I think I've found a way to circumvent the problem (which looks ilke a bug to me).  Apparently, the Welcome window always launches the Premiere editor in maximized mode.  When you subsequently open (a new or existing) project, the window resizes to the size that it was when you last used it.  When I was experiencing the problem, this size was "minimized on the task bar forever".

To get around this, I used the settings menu on the top right of the Welcome window to set the option "Always Launch Premiere Elements Editor behind the Welcome Screen".  This show the editor window maximized, but it allows me to resize the editor window in the normal way, before I open a project.  Now when I subsequently opened a project file, the editor window did not dive into the Task Bar!

Moreover, on subsequent launches the Welcome window still shows the editor window maximized, but the auto resize after opening a project now uses the size that I manually set in my manual sizing procedure in the above paragraph.  For me it's fixed!!

Perhaps the context that provokes the bug is that I never set a non-maximized size for the editor, and the auto resize gets confused about the desired size of the editor window?

-- Thanks, Ole Pa

• 4. Re: Help!  I'm stuck on the Task Bar and I can't get up!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may well have found a bug, Pa. Glad you're up and running!