• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave Flash Keeps Crashing in Google Chrome

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Google Chrome I keep receiving the message "The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash. Do you want it to stop running?"

What can I do to resolve the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't use Chrome and am not familiar with it.  Is this an add on/plugin/extension in the browser?

When you reply, please provide your operating system and browser versions. Also I don't understand what you mean by Shockwave Flash.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a program included with Google Chrome which crashes on an everyday

basis. The message reads as I wrote it in my initial post. "The following

plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash. Do you want it to stop running?"

I have Windows XP.

I can use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. I prefer to use Google.

I hope this info helps locate the problem. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You may want to check your Flash Player files. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Open Flash and post back all files listed there. Right click on all NPSWF files and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Also look in plugins for a SWF and tell me what version number that is and whether it is enabled.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is npswf same problem less understand

can i put a screen print ?

im trying to put it but it says that the content is not alowed, why ?

its less then 2 mb for shure.

Message was edited by: flacra1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NPSWF.dll is the Flash player and can be found in these locations:

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources

As regards the screen print you're referring to, to check file size, right click the file and then go to Properties. it will tell you in there what size it is.

Maybe you saved it as a bitmap image which will have a .bmp extension? If so, do the following:

1. Right click the file, choose Open With... and then choose Paint.
  2. Next, click File, then Save As and in the dropdown menu at the bottom, change it from .bmp to .PNG

If you have Windows configured to hide file extensions, do the following:

1. Hit Windows logo key + E to open Windows Explorer.
  2. Click Tools, then Folder Options, then View (tab).
  3. Checkmark "Show Hidden Files and Folders".
  4. Remove the checkmark from: "Hide file extensions for known file types".
  5. Click Apply, then OK to exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the latest Chrome version that was released yesterday?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here is the info on the Chrome security updates from today 8/20/10

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95414

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine has incessantly displayed this annoying notification for two years, ever since I bought this HP Vista Home machine and used Chrome/.  The truth as other threads at Google show is that Adobe Flash doesn't work well any more, and proves that Steve Jobs is right to ban it from the iPad.   Tonight my Chrome displayed about fifteen of these notices.   Evidently it is something Adobe cant fix.  Judging from the first response on this thread, it is not paying attention at all.  It is time that Adobe fixed this famous glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody forces you do use it; you can ban it from your computer as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And run no Flash, which is ubiquitous on the Net?  You must be using an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2011 Mar 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a problem with google Chrome and Flash, the flash problem does not happen in FF or Safari and I dont use IE as not worth it.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome thinking maybe an update was corrupted, nope as soon as I tried to view a flash file through Chrome same issue.

My Problem seems to point to the Chrome extension, anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue for well over a year.  I have followed instructions making sure I only have one Shockwave enabled, and that I have the latest version.  I still get the problem 5-10 times a day.  Worse my entire PC will freeze during the crashing process.    It is making Chrome useless and unusable. 

This is all I have for flash player

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 18.0.0.194
Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0

Name:Shockwave Flash

Description:Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0

Version:18.0.0.194

Location:C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\43.0.2357.130\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

Type:PPAPI (out-of-process)

Disable

MIME types:
MIME typeDescriptionFile extensions
application/x-shockwave-flashShockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplashFutureSplash Player
.spl

Disable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2011 Jul 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AS OF TODAY I am still having this problem and it is new. It just started in the last few days. Never had this problem before but mine acts exactly as others have said...system becomes unresponsive then error message and message that shockwave crashed.

I love Chrome and hate to give it up.

I saw to remove a duplicate plug in which I did but that did not help either

jp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem..anyboy pls help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just 2 days ago downloaded Google Chrome and yesterday the shockwave crashed. I got the same message everyone else has been getting. It's really bad that this is still occurring! Obviously this has been happening for a very long time! I will just uninstall it. If it's been going on this long...it isn't worth it! To bad because it really worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

burnindirt wrote:

I just 2 days ago downloaded Google Chrome and yesterday the shockwave crashed. I got the same message everyone else has been getting. It's really bad that this is still occurring! Obviously this has been happening for a very long time! I will just uninstall it. If it's been going on this long...it isn't worth it! To bad because it really worked great!

Can you please take a screenshot of the message you see and upload it here?

To add an image to the forum, click the camera icon you see above (see screenshot - click the image to enlarge).

camera_icon.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is to maintain your computer and perform a little maintenance activities on it to get rid of such crashes.Flash Player Crash is not something unique happened to you.

Sometimes there is a dreadful total crash and sometime it sends different errors, upon restarting nothing happens.

I also faced this error many times but i fixed it.The below given guidelines allow you to take measures to find an easy solution to the problem.

--Try to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player Active-X and Plug-in components and then reinstall Shockwave Flash Player

-- Try to use the latest Flash Player

-- Update the drivers that control your PC.

-- Fix your Windows Registry which is a highly recommended thing you should do to find a quick and reliable fix for common PC errors and crashes.

I also got some help from this article to fix Shockwave Flash Crashes

Hope it fix your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shockwave Flash crash may be caused by GPU Rendering when many Shockwave graphics are open at the same time. When software rendering is disabled, hardware acceleration is enabled and vice versa. With Hardware Acceleration, your web browser moves most graphics and text rendering from your CPU (s/w) to GPU (h/w). Try disable hardware acceleration and enable software rendering to see if this helps.

â– Click Start, select Control Panel.

â– Click Network and Security | Internet Options.

â– Click the Advanced tab and then Accelerated Graphics.

â– Check up the box named Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering and click Apply | OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing you should disable integrated version of Shockwave Flash Player. As default, Google Chrome comes with an Flash Player integrated version. Manual downloading another version creates inter-file conflicts. Hence disable integrated version; and hope your problem would solve.

1. Open Run dialog by pressing Windows Key and R keys simultaneously.

2. Type AppData in the textbox.

3. Press ENTER.

4. Open following directory:

C:\Users\{Your User Name Appears Here}\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

5. Delete all files in the Default folder.

For more diagnostic information visit: http://chromecrashes.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what, you missed one important point!! You haven't cleared your app data- i.e. the files located in the application data directory. This directory contains browser settings and Shockwave Flash components which might be corrupt. Clear it and check whether your problem still persists.

Here is the app data directory:

C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

Well, you have to replace USER_NAME with the actual User Name you're logged-in.

For more diagnostic solutions, visit here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, so far your problem is concerned it looks like the application data files (formerly called as, app data files) become corrupt. Just delete them; and Chrome will re-create new files with fresh, default settings.

For Earlier Versions of Windows:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories.

2. Click Run.

3. Type AppData in the Open textbox, click OK.

4. Open the following directory:

...\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

5. When you'll open the Default folder, you'll see couple of files and sub folders there. Select all and move them to the Recycle Bin.

6. Re-open Chrome and these files will be re-created.

For Windows 8:

1. Press the Windows Key to open Start Screen.

2. Type Run in the Search Box.

3. Click the Apps icon.

4. Open the Run dialog from the Search Results.

5. Follow Steps 3-6 from the above paragraph.

More diagnostic solutions here:

http://chromecrashes.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, so far your problem is concerned I feel your app data files- also called as application data files, are damaged. So I'm giving steps for both Windows 8 and earlier versions of Windows:

For Earlier Versions of Windows:

1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Run.

2. Type AppData & click OK.

3. Locate the following folder:

...\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

4. You'll see so many files in the Default folder. Selec  all of them and delete.

For Windows 8:

1. Press the Windows Key.

2. Type Run, click the Apps icon.

3. Open Run (from the Search Result that displays).

4. Follow Steps 2-4 from the above paragraph.

More diagnostic solutions here:

http://chromecrashes.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my problem now is with IE i download the flash again and again and it

says to me to download it and doesnt play the fb games or youtube or

gmail

no gmail is activx? somthing else that im trying to install and wont

2013/10/7, JohnBlack420 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

JohnBlack420 created the

discussion

"Re: Shockwave Flash Keeps Crashing in Google Chrome"

To view the discussion, visit:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5740632#5740632

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I followed the steps as posted. The only thing that happened was that I got a message telling me that Shockwave Flash couldn't load. Ended up reinstalling GC, hoping it would work correctly. No go. Went to about:plugins & scrolled down to see what else was there. Happened upon a notice from Java telling me about a critical update. I updated & haven't had any problems with Shockwave Flash crashing in my Google Chrome since then.

I know folks have been screaming about how un-secure Java is. But updating it sure seemed to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines