4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 12:50 PM by Peter Grainge

MapID help files...am I just doing it wrong?

brianmwise Level 1

Hi again, here with another (feels like) silly question.

My devs said, "We need the URL to call the files so we can begin the contextual help integration."

Since the help file built on the server is myserver.servername.com and we're using basic WebHelp as the output, I can't seem to figure out what the specific call needs to be made.

My mapID file and project map files exist with a full listing of both, but I can't for the life of me get it to work.

I followed this specific information from the Robohelp 8 manual:

Call a context-sensitive function for WebHelp or FlashHelp

1. Call the following API for getting the context-sensitive information from the server.

http://servername>/robohelp/rest/robowindow?wtype=ctx&context=<MAP ID>

For example:

To open the topic mapped as numbe 1, change the <MAP ID> with 1.

2. Run the application and test the Help call.

Where:

myserver.myservername.com/UserGuide_YarpYarphelpYar?wtype=ctx&context=58

is what I see being the correct URL to call for the article mapped to the mapID 58. That SHOULD work once I've built the mapID file in Robohelp, and when I generate the project and load it to the support site, it should automatically

The one thing I am NOT seeing is a mapID file in the generated WebHelp output, however.

Am I just doing it wrong, or is there a specific structure I need to achieve to be able to use mapIDs for context-sensitive help in the project?

• 1. Re: MapID help files...am I just doing it wrong?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You are talking about Map IDs but saying the developers want the URL.

Help can be called in more than one way and our developers use URLs for each CSH call rather than Map IDs. Maybe your developers plan or would be happy to call just using URLs rather than Map IDs

There's information on my site about calling webhelp. Take a look at that and then talk to the developers to see what they want.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: MapID help files...am I just doing it wrong?
            brianmwise Level 1

That gives...some illumination.

Essentially what I want to get to the developer is the endpoint they need to call the mapID. I do not -want- them to call the URLs directly, because if they call the URLs directly, the application will wind up calling the wrong URLs in about three months (we change content a lot). mapIDs, as far as the process is concerned, makes more sense to me and to my boss because that way we can change the mapID to update the content as the application moves forward.

They've asked for the URL, which is not what we want to give them. What I want them to call is the mapID but I'm having a hard time finding exactly how the mapID system gets set up by a dev.

The thing is, if I can have them just call by article number (www.support.com/blahblah/AppID-<1>) that will make it a heck of a lot easier, but I'm not sure how to make sure that's set up properly.

• 3. Re: MapID help files...am I just doing it wrong?
              brianmwise Level 1

PS: Peter, i have been mining your site like mad in the last few months precisely because I've had less experience setting this sort of thing up and more experience working it from the front-end (content-build). The site is somewhat confusing in places (due to either my lack of comprehension or the audience level) but still far and away better than the learning guides I bought again to try to rebuild my knowledge on the application. It's an incredibly valuable resource and I'm very glad to have it bookmarked.

• 4. Re: MapID help files...am I just doing it wrong?
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I think you are having a hard time because the map id is not something you can set up as a URL. The developers have to put the map id into their code and use an API that can access what is in the bunch of files that comprise webhelp. Those files are not just topics, some are internal files that make the map ids work if the developers have done their bit.

Also the map ids get associated with a topic so I don't see what advantage you are gaining. If the topic file name is different in three months time it won't help just because you have the old map id in the new topic. They are paired.

Does that help?

If you let me know offline via my site what you found confusing about it, maybe I can address that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge