12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2010 6:14 PM by Todd_Kopriva

PP CS5 crashes on importing

imagex ideas Level 1

I'm working on a 1080HD project with PP CS5 and am about halfway (25 minutes on timeline) into it with no problems.  I have about 180 video files in my resources with clips from most of them on my timeline.  Now when I go to import about 35 more video files to work on the next segment,  PP repeatedly stops responding (crashes) about 2/3rds through the import process.  The files to be imported are the same type (m2v, video only) as the 180 files already in use. All can be viewed on a standalone viewer, eg VLC Media Player.   My system is an i7-930 QuadCore with 12GB memory and plenty of open hard drive space running Windows 7 64bit.

Any ideas on what is causing the crashes?

• 1. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
          - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 2. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
            imagex ideas Level 1

John - THanks for the reply.  I had read the first two postings before when I set up my current system.  For the most part I comply with their recommendations.  In particular all my project files are on a single partition drive dedicated to video work.  Not RAIDed, but otherwise a good SATA 1TB 7200RPM drive.  I'm still at a loss as to what is causing the import to jam and crash PPro.

• 3. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Explain crashes:

1. BSOD

2. Application hang, Sorry a serious mistake....

3. Not responding to anything, requiring CTRL+ALT+DEL

4. Screen turning whitish and the title bar saying: Not responding...

5. Anything else

Your initial investigations should go to:

1. Hardware setup or overclock settings. Check your BSOD error #.

2. Disk failure or memory failure, specifically in the page file or check in the event viewer.

3. Corrupted installation or background processes causing incompatibility or memory failure.

4. Disk setup or lack of memory.

5. Figure it out.

• 4. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing

>all my project files are on a single partition drive

Does that mean you have only 2 drives?

I'm not in PPro at the moment to check, but I do know that I have 3 drives... I think set to...

-boot and all progams

-win swap and all temp files

-project and media

You might download the free http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ and analyze the files to be sure they are exactly the same

Then, remove all the new files from your project and add them back one at a time until you have a problem... and look closely at that file

• 6. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
                  UlfLaursen Level 2

Thanks for sharing theese links, John. Was just looking for the first one to set up my discs in my new rig.

Thanks to you too for sharing it, Harm

/Ulf

• 7. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
                    imagex ideas Level 1

Thanks to all for you comments.

First in direct answers to questions.

I have four 7200RPM 1TB SATA drives: one with OS and programs, one with "text" documents and Adobe media caches, one with video projects and source files, and one with pagefile and photo files.  Pretty close to Harm's advice, I think.  All drives are less than 30 percent full and frequently defragmented.

My PPro "crashes" on large imports are of Harm's type 3 or 4.  The progress bar for importing reaches a certain point then stops forever.  An attempt to cancel importing or do anything else with PPro elicits the "Not responding .." response which can be confirmed in the Task Manager.  If PPro is shut down, my computer continues to run normally.

The "project bloating" syndrom doesn't seem to apply.  My project file is still only 3.2MB with 23GB of source material in the Project Panel and 25 minutes of 1080x1920 video on the time line.

Some new information.  The "No response .." crashes occur when I try to import a large amount of new source material in one step.  Specifically requesting 35 mv2 files (8.5GB representing about 45 minutes of HD video) results in shut down a bit more than halfway through the import process.  However, there is a fairly simple work around.  I can import and use all this material just by breaking up the import into three import requests run serially.  This also demonstrates that the problem is not with the imported material, but that my system chokes when trying to do too much importing at one time.  My instinct says I've tied up all my available memory (9GB of 12 GB installed) and shifted to the pagefile generating a fault.  But I'm not smart enough to test and confirm that, and for me the question has become somewhat academic since there is an easy work around.

I am an acedemic at heart and would still be interested in any comments from the gurus since I'm sure to learn something.

• 8. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

It appears that disk setup is not the issue here, but more background processes.

The most simple things to check are:

1. Sidebar turned off.

2. Indexing and compression on all the disks turned off.

3. No disk optimizing programs in the background.

4. VSSadmin set to below 5 GB.

# Go to Windows command line with administrative rights
                      # Type:
                      vssadmin list shadowstorage to see the current allocation.
                      # To change it, use:
                      vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[drive]: /for=[drive]: /maxsize=[size]
                      # I recommend using 1% of your boot drive, so for a 500GB drive I would set the maxsize to 5GB:
                      vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=5GB

5. Check out Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper and turn off anything not needed.

6. Uninstall Windows crap not needed. Messenger, games, unneeded fonts, phone and modem, fax and similar stuff you don't need.

7. If all these steps still do not solve your issues, look at the second link here Some suggestions... and post the requested screenshot from Process Explorer and attach the DXDIAG.txt file.

• 9. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
                        imagex ideas Level 1

Harm - Thanks for the detailed advice.  In this case it seems very unlikely that the PPro non-responses are due to an interfering outside process.  This is partly because I disable the usual culprits of such processes whenever I due serious video work.  And mostly because the non-responses are reproducable (3 for 3 now) whenever a single import activity reaches about 5GB of imports and has not occured in manny smaller imports totaling well over 100GB in several projects.  The 3 failures wrere not retries of the same import request, but imports of 3 different file sets totaling over 5GB each.  Never rule out coincidences, but this evidence is good enough for me to restrict my imports to smaller batches and not spend much more effort to diagnose the root problem.

• 10. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing

Please gather up your details and send a Bug Report to Adobe

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 12. Re: PP CS5 crashes on importing
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Just checking in:

Does installing the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update fix this issue for you?