14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2010 5:58 PM by John T Smith

.vob file freezes at 43%

Fizzgig999

I have uploaded a .vob file that plays perfectly on the original non-copyrighted, DRM free, recorded from TV, DVD disk. All other files on the disk import without problems into PE8 but this one freezes indexing at 43%. Can someone look at this file and tell me why?

The file is at: projectking.org/test/vts_01_5.vob

I am on Win7 Home Premium and my computer's specs are in a PDF BelArc Profile at: http://projectking.org/profile/Sonny's Belarc Advisor Current Profile.pdf

• 1. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear what you mean when you say you "uploaded a VOB." Uploaded it to where?

If you are working in Premiere Elements, did you open a new project, set to to the DVD/Hard Drive Camcorder settings and then use Premiere Elements' Media Downloader to rip the files to your hard drive?

Are the VOB files on your C drive or on another drive? If so, is this drive formatted NTFS rather than FAT 32 (as they are from the factory)?

How much free, defragmented space is left on your C drive?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Most likely, it is because the VOB is not 100% DVD-compliant. This happens with the VOB _01 usually, though some European DVR's put the navigation, Menus, etc., in the last VOB. Not sure if this is the case here though.

What program, or equipment was used to produce that DVD? The key to the "reason," is likely contained in that answer.

If PrE is not Importing this VOB correctly, then the best course of action would be to rip it to the contained MPEG-2 file. The steps for doing this are outlined in links in the article, that John T., has mentioned, and provided a link to. Besides the programs mentioned in the Encore FAQ (linked), there are many others, and a lot of those are free.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                Fizzgig999 Level 1

The file is at:

http://projectking.org/Test/vts_01_5.vob

Yes, Media Downloader was initally used.

The  original VOB file is on a DVD Media. For testing purposes, it was  copied to another hard drive ("D"-Drive: 298GB with 290GB Free)

"C" Drive: 232GB with 113GB Free

All Drives are NFTS formatted.
                • 5. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                  Fizzgig999 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

The original equipment used to record the vob directly off-air was a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder.

Again, I uploaded the file so you folks could download, virus/malware scan and then see for yourself what we're talking about.
                  • 6. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                    Fizzgig999 Level 1

More than I ever wanted to know but nothing I could actually "do." I am a movie maker, not a computer tech-head. How does this information help me to stop my .vob from freezing at 43%?

• 7. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                      Fizzgig999 Level 1

Have I mentioned that the .vob file plays perfectly with the VLC media player?

I have tried renaming the file to mpeg as Hunt suggested to no avail. The only other suggestion he has is, as I understand it, to actually move and connect the DVD recorder to the computer?

• 8. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                        nealeh Level 5

Editing a vob file is very different to playing it. For PRE you are better off converting it to DV-AVI before importing it.Have a look here: What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you'll take the advice we've given, you should be fine, Fizz. DVD files from those VHS to DVD burners can be kind of iffy -- but, if you'll work with us on the specs we recommended -- or better yet convert the file as we recommended -- you should be fine.

Assuming, of course, you have the requisite free, defragged space on your drive and  a well maintained computer.

• 10. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, playing and editing are two very, very different operations. A VOB (Video Object) file can contain a lot of "stuff," and most of that is defined by the DVD-specs. However, many programs, and almost all DVR's, play fast and loose with those DVD-specs. Adobe programs do not - everything is 100% by the book. That is why one can easily Import and edit a VOB created in PrE, or Adobe Encore - they are 100% DVD-compliant.

Besides the MPEG-2 file (there can be VOB's, that are 100% Menus and navigation, and might not contain any of the MPEG-2 file - that will be in other VOB's, and possibly spanning several. It is with the Menus (even if you did not manually add one, chances are good that a rudimentary Menu will have been done automatically by the DVR) and the navigation, that will cause the issues. By the DVD-specs., the first VOB should have the Menus and navigation, but some European devices will do this in the last VOB. The thinking is that a user will ONLY play the created DVD in that machine, and it can read from it. Move to another player, or to a drive on a computer with DVD player software, and all bets are off.

My guess is that the "other stuff" in your particular VOB is getting in the way, and the only hope is to rip the MPEG-2 from the VOB container. This can be done by software, with programs like those from SlySoft, or mechanically, by playing the DVD through a capture card, or device, like a Canopus, or ADS A-D bridge. Basically, you are not doing A - D (Analog to Digital), but because of the wires, need to get from a composite connection to FireWire.

For optimum utilization, one should only deal with DVD's, created in programs, like PrE, or Encore (Sonic's Scenarist is great too). I do not know the output from other DVD authoring apps., like Sony's DVD Architect, but would assume that many others are also 100% DVD-compliant. Those will work. Others will require more extreme measures. The DVD's from your DVR seem to fall into that group. Some work ahead, but that is because of the DVR used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                              Fizzgig999 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I purchased iskysoft Video converter specifically for this file (to convert it to .avi) but it (iskysoft) will not open it. Their tech support tried to sell me the upgrade (iskysoft Media Converter) so I downloaded the trial version and, it too, will not convert the file.

Great answer but I had already tried that before accessing this forum.

• 12. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                                Fizzgig999 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Your info will be insightful for future use but too much to take on while I'm on deadline.

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                                  Fizzgig999 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have followed all of your advice and ultimately, you're all right. It's just "one of the files."

Thanks again, SS

• 14. Re: .vob file freezes at 43%
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

$00 http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html Multi-Converter <-- supposed to be very good

$00 http://www.virtualdub.org/ Mpeg to AVI Converter